I've "forced" myself to use AAA only: Anything new in AAA lights?

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I have been moved to Europe for a few months for my job (no complaints here) and have therefore been carrying only my AAA Fenix LD01. I brought my last-purchased light (4Sevens 2x123 XML2 with Burst), but it would be considered weird to carry that clipped to my pocket at the office or around town. I now carry a purse (that's considered normal) and throw it in there but have yet to take it out.

Being limited to "just" an AAA flashlight really opened my eyes to just how perfect it is for an EDC! Small enough where I think I lost it all the time, but bright enough where I NEVER have wanted more light.
I do without the funky UI (Med-Low-High), but this light is great and I am now a believer that I don't need to carry anything larger unless I know I will be doing something at night.

I have been away from the LED scene for about 6 months. What's new around here as far as small lights go? Anything groundbreaking around the corner?
I've always been OK with spending $60 on a 4Sevens light, but I have only ever purchased budget AAA lights because I rarely used them. I may now be willing to spend a bit more for something special.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
By AAA you mean single cell only? I have a FourSevens Preon 2 with Nichia 219 bought from Illumination Supply and this thing is just real sweet. You can purchase a separate single cell body for use with it. I am not too much an AAA guy but my latest edition, a Fenix E05SS (stainless steel) is a real beauty and really lovely light to have. I am sure others can chime in but what you can buy here really depends on what you need and what your budget is. An MBI may be powerful and cool to show off, but the rather short runtime and limited battery type is a real deal breaker for me. I prefer moderate output with realistic run time over ultra bright and ultra short run time.

kbuzbee

Enlightened
Vinh has an E05 that does 1200 lumens ;) THAT'S new ;)

Okay, yeah, not practical for typical EDC tasks, but, wow! ;)

For me AAAs are great for everything except run time. I run my Eigers on 10440s as they are great for backups, but an SC62 is my main EDC light.

Ken

markr6

Flashaholic
The E05 is pretty nice! But I have all neutral white lights, so when I do use the E05 I am disgusted by the blue light and throw up in my mouth a little :(

kbuzbee

Enlightened
I prefer moderate output with realistic run time over ultra bright and ultra short run time.

Yeah, I hear Vinh is working on an automatic battery changer for that E05. Kinda like a machine gun, it just spits out the used cell and re chambers a fresh one from a 100 cell bandolier. :crackup:

Ken

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have been moved to Europe for a few months for my job (no complaints here) and have therefore been carrying only my AAA Fenix LD01. I brought my last-purchased light (4Sevens 2x123 XML2 with Burst), but it would be considered weird to carry that clipped to my pocket at the office or around town. I now carry a purse (that's considered normal) and throw it in there but have yet to take it out.

Being limited to "just" an AAA flashlight really opened my eyes to just how perfect it is for an EDC! Small enough where I think I lost it all the time, but bright enough where I NEVER have wanted more light.
I do without the funky UI (Med-Low-High), but this light is great and I am now a believer that I don't need to carry anything larger unless I know I will be doing something at night.

I have been away from the LED scene for about 6 months. What's new around here as far as small lights go? Anything groundbreaking around the corner?
I've always been OK with spending $60 on a 4Sevens light, but I have only ever purchased budget AAA lights because I rarely used them. I may now be willing to spend a bit more for something special.
Europeans love trends. Start one! Clip that Quark on your pocket and make a statement!

kbuzbee

Enlightened
The E05 is pretty nice! But I have all neutral white lights, so when I do use the E05 I am disgusted by the blue light and throw up in my mouth a little :(

You're not alone there, but Vinh can fix that for you...

Ken

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I hear Vinh is working on an automatic battery changer for that E05. Kinda like a machine gun, it just spits out the used cell and re chambers a fresh one from a 100 cell bandolier. :crackup:

Ken
I want to be the first in queue if that really happens. Lol!

Dubois

Enlightened
Rayus Lights, a newish name, have a sweet little AAA light with a Nichia 219 - the Rayus C01. Video review here by member mhanlen. I have one on the way.

Jimbo75

Newly Enlightened
.....I now carry a purse (that's considered normal).....

......you just keep telling yourself that....:nana:lol!

Ahem...sorry bout that....I still think the LD01 is the best AAA EDC that I have tried. I'd like to have a go at an Oveready Peak Eiger with 219 in it, if the QTC behaved itself I think it would be a very handy EDC. :)

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tusk

Newly Enlightened
Ahem...sorry bout that....I still think the LD01 is the best AAA EDC that I have tried. I'd like to have a go at an Oveready Peak Eiger with 219 in it, if the QTC behaved itself I think it would be a very handy EDC. :)

+1 Still a great light.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the Fenix E05 stainless steel. The optic gives a nice smooth floody beam that is great for close work. The aluminum version is very light with a lithium Energizer cell. I have gotten very nice tints that are near neutral white without blue or green with the XP-E2 emitter.