SureFire at Academy Awards

bewshy

Newly Enlightened
SureFire is giving 125 celebs the Presidents Gift Set (C2 / e2e) at the 75th Academy Awards. It will be present with the gift baskets they are given.

eb

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by bewshy:
SureFire is giving 125 celebs the Presidents Gift Set (C2 / e2e) at the 75th Academy Awards. It will be present with the gift baskets they are given.

eb
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Where did you hear this?

Saaby

Flashaholic
Watch for signed Surefires on eBay for charity.

Wonder how many of the actors will
A) Actually use them
B) Blind themselves with them
C) Whine when it comes time for that first battery replacement and they go to Beverly Hills Wal-Mart to buy CR123s (Probably about $25 each there)

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
just one more reason to be a celeb...

hey surefire...i was a pig in my 5th grade play, i understand this isn't quite acadamy material, but i at least deserve a g2 right???

oh well, it is good advertising for them...but then again, if they give me one, i will surely advertise...

which makes me wonder: why don't companies give all their products away because if it is a good product, people will talk about it, making more people want one...?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Originally posted by Rothrandir:
hey surefire...i was a pig in my 5th grade play, i understand this isn't quite acadamy material, but i at least deserve a g2 right???
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">-------------------
"I'm a pig now!" Does that qualify?
grin.gif

Yep, it's good marketing on their part. All the shows that use SureFires...quote from the SureFire email:

" The brightness and uniquely camera-friendly lighting qualities of SureFire flashlights also makes them the Hollywood Prop Master's first choice for dramatic use on-screen and as supplementary scene lighting. X-Men, Tomb Raider II, Spiderman II, Blackhawk Down, CSI, Alias, The Agency, and The Shield are just a few of the films and television shows featuring cameo appearances by SureFire flashlights and weapon-mounted lights."

It's a "wine & dine insurance policy" that works.

Tombeis

Enlightened
I would be more impressed if Surefire would have given M3's to 250 Marines who were being deployed to the Middle East.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Tombeis:
I would be more impressed if Surefire would have given M3's to 250 Marines who were being deployed to the Middle East.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hell yes!!, not a bunch of celebs who can afford their own.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I'm a bit confused here.

SureFire gave 50 G2's with special CPF engraving to David W. to aid in funding CPF. This was OK, by us (CPF).

In various threads about Mag and when a newbie joins CPF he (she) is told to get an Arc AAA and a SF E2e as a starter kit into the world of Good Quality illumination torches. We collectively seem to want the world to know about superior illumination tools and would like to see awareness increased regarding them. In a high profile event, SF has decided to provide good quality illumination tools to some folks who have media presence and might inadvertently enhance or aid in spreading the "word" and *we* are critical of this marketing idea!!?!?
icon3.gif

OK, let me see here. You want to spread awareness of your product and word of mouth and exposure are known to aid. You would like those who can set trends to endorse your product and aid in new market penetration. Celebrities? Hummm....

Unlikely but what if:

~ while being interviewed on David Lettermen, Sean Penn whips out an E2e from his pocket and jokingly blasts David in the face with the light. "Wow! David says let me see that thing!!" camera zooms into close up of E2e. Sean goes on to explain that it was a gift at the Academy Awards and that he keeps it in his pocket now at all times because it's such a handy and incredible tool. In fact, he has found that he is what is known as a flashaholic!
icon15.gif
~

~ Teen Rapper, Idol and Actor Joe Blow has taken to wearing a SureFire E2e on stainless chain dangling from his fatigue pants in his latest Rap tour. Across the country the youth in the know have taken to sporting bright illumination tools as part of their "Ghetto" gear. They have found that not only are they "cool" but the lights are really a great tool to have and their parents too find themselves borrowing the lights when a good torch is called for. ~

OK, I realize that the examples above are farfetched and stupid but on a much lesser scale, the "word" might spread. If SureFire wants to branch out into new and civilian markets, I think this marketing plan is excellent! The cost of the lights as gifts is small compared to many other methods of advertising.

Sure a celeb could certainly afford to buy their own SF but it is unlikely that they would buy something that they don't know about. I think that's the real point here.

I think this marketing plan of SureFire's is a good and sound one and I hope it has ripples that can generate an elevated awareness of products that are near and dear to us on CPF!

Have any of you read "The Tipping Point"?

Final question: If any of you were given some SF's and asked to give them away to folks in such a manner that the awareness of SF lights might be increased and developed in new markets. Bear in mind that the SF lights are not cheap and the average person would not likely budget for such a light. The potential market for SF is either folks who really need a good quality illumination tool or for those who can afford one and would likely buy one if they new of its existence (a discriminating market). Would you:

A) give them to military personnel who are already fully versed in SF lighting

B) send them to random addresses across the US

C) give them to motion picture celebrities

Now the short version: We want the world to know that there are better illumination tools and yet we are critical of a marketing scheme that might have some chance of increasing this awareness?????

- Don

yclo

Flashaholic*
It's all about converting people.. First, the Academy Awards, then THE WORLD!!

But I think the real question is.... did SF give them batteries too?
icon15.gif

Seriously though guys, don't you think it's about time that Surefire became a household name, instead of M@gl!te?

-----------------------------------
CPFer shows female friend his new SF 10X that came back from SF, female friend then says:
"Why don't you get something brighter, like a M@g?"
CPFer forces himself not to beat the female friend with the newly repaired 10X.....

CPFer = person with lots of SF accessories.

I_rv_too

Newly Enlightened
>>250 Marines who were being deployed

Boy, do I ever agree with that! Or to 250 policemen.

While I understand Surefire's hope that giving to the celebrities will maybe further extend the recognition of Surefire's name ... i.e. a cheap advertizing ploy.

Giving the flashlights to a soldier or a policeman might have actually help save a innocent life or catch a bad guy.

I ask you ... in terms of doing the most worldly good ... Surefire made the wrong choice.

I, too, got the email from Surefire bragging about the hollywood gift basket give-away.

And I gagged.

iddibhai

Enlightened
heck why didn't they give some to BOTH groups? small price to pay for promotion & goodwill reasons. but then i'm not sure if those batteries are well stocked in combat situations.

Tombeis

Enlightened
Don:

Nothing personal.

About the only thing Sean Penn would whip out on the David Letterman Show would be his smuck.

What your saying is that the military is not a big customer of Surefire and that military personel don't buy their own Surefire lights?

I am a good customer of Surefire and I don't give a damn how many actors, celebs,rappers, are given Surefires.

What would impress me and keep me a good Surefire customer is hearing that Surefire gave 250 GI's M3's

Our servicemen are protecting your and my ***. That impresses me more the Sean Penn showing whatever he is showing on TV.