Questions about Peak El Capitan

DQD

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased a Peak El Capitan, aluminum, with the medium optic and keychain body directly from Peak LED Solutions.

My first question is about the optic. It looks like a diffuser optic, and is very floody. Even if I crank down pretty hard on the QTC it doesn't seem to put out as much light as my D25A clicky with XML2 on high (not turbo). It might just look like less light because it is so floody. Anyway, is that what the medium optic is supposed to be like? (I'm running Eneloops in both lights.)

Second question... I have a bunch of AA alkaline batteries, but I don't use them in any of my lights because I don't want to damage them if a battery leaks. The El Capitan has a potted head and no spring, just the QTC in the bottom. Do you think this light might be more resistant to damage from alkaline battery leaks?

Thanks!

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The medium optic will appear quite floody, and yes, that can make it seem dimmer than another light rated at the same brightness.
The way I check brightness is by ceiling bounce in a small dark room.
The Peaks are less susceptible to damage from alkaline leaks, for the reasons you stated, but why risk it unless it's an emergency? Alkaline can also eat away at any exposed aluminum.
try your El Cap with a 14500 lithium ion.... You will be impressed!

DQD

Newly Enlightened
try your El Cap with a 14500 lithium ion.... You will be impressed!

Thanks, jabe1! That's one of the reasons I got the Peak. I haven't branched out to li-ion batteries yet, but have been tempted to get some 14500s to try them out.

By the way, after I posted I found this thread with some photos and beamshots. It looks like even the narrow optic is pretty floody. This should be a great light for camping (tent lighting, reading, not blinding other campers, etc.).