K2 Energy LFP 123A lithium-phosphate rechargeable batteries

kevon025

Newly Enlightened
Good day peeps, I have a problem..I have a regular surefire g2 nitrolon flashlight which I regularly use with two 123a batteries, I recently switched over to two K2 Energy LFP 123A lithium-phosphate rechargeable batteries, the problem that I'm having is that it keeps burning out my LED bulbs, can anyone recommended which type of LED bulbs I can use without it being burnt out, thanks.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

LEDs aren't really bulbs, at least in the traditional sense. Does your G2 look something like the one shown below and are you using the P60 incandescent lamp assembly?

FlashlightGuide_5628.jpg

If so, you shouldn't use the LFP123 batteries as they will indeed blow the incandescent bulb. Sorry to ask but just want to make sure there is no misunderstanding. :thumbsup:

As far as what will work, any P60 style LED drop-in should work so long as it is rated for the voltage of 2xLFP123. They are around 3.6V fresh off the charger so you should be looking for something rated up to 7.2V or more.

Last edited:

kevon025

Newly Enlightened
Hi thanks man..and yea, it's the P60.. but i had chaged the bulb to led..

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many LEDs will work on a single 17650 rechargeable battery. Check the data sheet for the LED you purchase next time....

kevon025

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info man...but i wanted to know if anyone had an idea which led bulb wolud work with the batteries..

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could use a P90 bulb that normally goes into a Surefire 9P (9volts for 3xCR123 batteries). OR, you could update the LED drop in with a Malkoff M61L variant. They have a voltage range good for 3.4 to 9v's. Direct replacement for your light. Lifetime warranty.

COOL http://www.malkoffdevices.com/drop-...efire-malkoff/m61l-low-output-to-fit-surefire

NEUTRAL http://www.malkoffdevices.com/drop-...nd-malkoff/m61s-to-fit-surefire-malkoff/m61nl

WARM http://www.malkoffdevices.com/drop-...-tint-low-output-to-fit-a-surefire-flashlight

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll likely want a LED drop in that handles voltages up to 9v, in case you ever decide you want to run 2xRCR123. How much are you looking to spend on a replacement LED?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
What brand of P60 drop-in are you buying/blowing, would be my first question? Maybe stop buying that brand if it's the same one you've blown more than once.

If you have a digital multi-meter handy, charge up the K2s and just see what they're reading.

2xK2 Energy RCR123s should be about 6.4v hot off the charger. 2xCR123A, should be about 6.5v right out of the pack, assuming you're not buying junk made in Guatemala?

Drop-ins handling 6.0v levels should be fine, but you can always look for the 8.4v model and ditch the 3.0v LiFePO4 K2s and go with some quality IMR 16340s and rule the world.

Remember, you bow to no man.

Chris

kevon025

Newly Enlightened
What brand of P60 drop-in are you buying/blowing, would be my first question? Maybe stop buying that brand if it's the same one you've blown more than once.

If you have a digital multi-meter handy, charge up the K2s and just see what they're reading.

2xK2 Energy RCR123s should be about 6.4v hot off the charger. 2xCR123A, should be about 6.5v right out of the pack, assuming you're not buying junk made in Guatemala?

Drop-ins handling 6.0v levels should be fine, but you can always look for the 8.4v model and ditch the 3.0v LiFePO4 K2s and go with some quality IMR 16340s and rule the world.

Remember, you bow to no man.

Chris

Thanks for the info chris, was very helpful bro