Review: Olight R20 Seeker (XM-L2, 1x 18650, 600 lumens)

kj2

Flashaholic
- For submission in the review-section -

Simplicity must be one of the words, Olight had in mind when they designed the R20. The R20 is a compact, usb-rechargeable, easy-to-use light. With a max of 600 lumens, and a max runtime of 12 hours,
it suits most general flashlight users.

n1fo1u.jpg

The packaging:

The R20 comes in the new-style box, from Olight. Text on the outside shows the most important information about the light, and the transparent plastic gives a 360-degrees view of the light.

wwhr4k.jpg
2ufww20.jpg

148mdg0.jpg
vcyn34.jpg

htz4si.jpg

Inside the box you'll find; the R20, product manual, Olight leaflet, 12V > usb charging adaptor, usb-cable, lanyard and extra o-rings. The custom-battery is already installed in the light.
Before you start to use the light, charging the battery is recommended.

2wgvtww.jpg

Specifications: (given by Olight)

The manual shows clearly the specs on the R20. It even includes a runtime chart.

qsl342.jpg

30u7h9f.jpg

User Interface:

The UI on the R20 is quite simple. Mode-changing happens from Off-state.
A half-press turns-on the Low-mode. A quick half-press twice, will give you High-mode.
Half-press three times for Strobe. When you've the mode you want, click the switch for constant. Switching modes is also possible by twisting the tailcap loosen and tighten
rapidly. In that case the light has to be On. For lock-out, just twist the tailcap a quarter-turn.

2usj5nb.jpg

The Light:

35l9moz.jpg
ckvmg.jpg

zldzc9.jpg
v6847s.jpg

The R20 has a smooth the design. It's comfortable in hand and has enough grip with the knurling. Although there isn't any knurling on the tailcap, the tailcap is easy to loosen and tighten.
The switch sticks out, so tailstanding is a no-go unfortunately. At the head you will find the usb-port to charge the battery, that comes with the light. The usb-port has a cover and o-ring
to prevent water getting in. The head is coated differently than the rest of the body. When I feel the coating on the head, I feel ridges. Something I haven't seen or felt before.
The milled-out slots at the head, prevents the light from rolling around. The led is perfectly centered surrounded by a smooth reflector.

2edcah3.jpg
zmgt2v.jpg

Above the usb-port you find the led charging-indicator. Red when charging and green when fully charged. Easy to see at night, but with daylight it can be difficult.
The usb-cover needs about one and a half turn, to reveal the usb-port.

29kyuj5.jpg
16m50tj.jpg

Any mirco usb-cable can be used to charge the light. Charging time depends on the power-source.

2vl3yva.jpg
33xtym8.jpg

Down the tube you can see the extra spring needed for charging. Olight doesn't specify that other 18650 batteries can be used, so I won't recommend to use other batteries other than
the supplied one with the light.

2j3f8nd.jpg
2mzfls5.jpg

Thread are smooth and well lubed on my sample. There is some play when you loosen the tailcap.

Size comparison:

2vakw80.jpg
t68iev.jpg

From left to right; Olight S10-L2, Zebralight SC600 MKII L2, Fenix TK12 (TK09), Olight R20, Fenix PD35

Beamshots:

(To be able to compare, I photograph beamshots with the same settings. In previous review I selected settings to be as closely to what I saw in real-life. That way comparison between my reviews
can be difficult. Shutter-time is short so photos are more likely to be darker, then you would see in real-life.)

F/5, 1/30 sec, ISO400. Canon 500D
Camera and light approx 4 meters away from the wall.
Low:
ev836u.jpg

High:
9aa4ip.jpg

Conclusion:

Olight did a good job on making a general use light, which is easy to use for most people. The usb-charging option makes it a nice option for people who are new to high-end flashlights.
The R20 has more throw than I expected. Some people even might consider to EDC the light. For most tasks the mode-spacing is good. With 80 lumens you've enough light to walk around in complete darkness.
Although I do prefer a lower Low, or a extra Medium mode. This light would hit a home-run in my book when modes where spaced like, for example; 10-90-600 lumens.
Packaging doesn't include a holster or a clip, which is a downside. I do understand why the light doesn't come with a AC-adapter. Most people have those laying around the house, that came with other electronic products.
All-in-all this light can be a great choice for your needs. Specially when you're new in the high-powered flashlight world :)

- Review-sample was provided by Adola B.V. and Olight -

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Re: Review: Olight R20 (XM-L2, 1x 18650, 600 lumens)

Couple of extra photos.
2u7c87p.jpg
a2pvlj.jpg

25s7yc4.jpg
2hfjtoi.jpg

I'm hoping to have some time next week/weekend, to do a runtime test for the Low-mode :)

Last edited:

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast

Awesome review!

kj2

Flashaholic

Just started a runtime test for the Low-mode. To see after how much time the light will completely shut-off. :)

Edit; after 3 hours and 38 minutes, the R20 is still going strong :) Light doesn't get hot at all, and also haven't noticed a output drop.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic

Thanks for the great review kj2:thumbsup: looks like a good glove box/trunk option:) i do like simplicity at times,breath of fresh air...........

kj2

Flashaholic

Just started a runtime test for the Low-mode. To see after how much time the light will completely shut-off. :)

Edit; after 3 hours and 38 minutes, the R20 is still going strong :) Light doesn't get hot at all, and also haven't noticed a output drop.
So.. almost 6 hours further and still going strong. It could be my imagination but it looks like output has drop over time. Not much, but doesn't look as bright as when I started.

Edit; getting close to 9 hours non-stop use on Low. Light still going :)

Edit 2:
Edit 3: Between 11 hours 6 minutes and 11 hours and 19 minutes the battery indicator turned red.
Edit 4: Over the 12 hour mark (12H20M) now. Light still running although output dropped quite hard. But still enough to see close-by objects at night.
Edit 5: Runtime test ended. Light was still running. Olight claim of 12 hours.. APPROVED :)
2556qmf.png

Last edited:

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Review: Olight R20 (XM-L2, 1x 18650, 600 lumens)

Thank you for the review. I have been thinking of getting a USB rechargeable LED flashlight that uses a single 18650, so this would be a good candidate. Also, what other lights are currently out there that are:

-USB Rechargeable

-Runs single 18650 Battery

How do the other compare to this?

kj2

Flashaholic

Thank you for the review. I have been thinking of getting a USB rechargeable LED flashlight that uses a single 18650, so this would be a good candidate. Also, what other lights are currently out there that are:
-USB Rechargeable
-Runs single 18650 Battery
How do the other compare to this?
There are a couple of manufacturers who offer this. To name a few; Fenix, Nitecore, Klarus and Olight. The Olight R20 is the first 1x 18650 USB-rechargeable light I've, so I can't compare.
But there are others here on CPF, who have one of multiple USB-rechargeable lights.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice review, this light is very good looking. The UI looks like it could be very nice, too. It is too bad that Olight chose to make the low mode so high. The low on the R40 Seeker is 12 lumens and that is a good low. 80 lumens is a medium to me.