thoughts on cr2 vs cr123

7hns

Newly Enlightened
Right now I have a quark cr2 mini on my keychain. While the light is great, small, etc..., the fact that it doesn't support rechargeable cr2 (and the overall limited availability of rechargeable cr2) make my next upgrade confusing. More specifically, I want to get an Atom and the 360 kit but whether or not I get the CR2 or 123 is a big decision. To me, not having rechargeable batteries on your main EDC is crazy. If I use the light for 20 minutes, I am leaving the house unprepared and obviously bringing an extra battery doesn't always work. Sure using primaries in your car with a flashlight works, because you can keep extra batteries easily. I feel like getting the 123 is extra size I don't need, especially when using the headlamp but obviously there is a huge advantage in RCR123. I'm also not super inclined to buy new CR2 batteries (rechargeable) even if they are available and reliable, etc.

Any thoughts?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, you really are concerned with small. Guess you got to pick your priorities - size vs capacity.

An RCR2/15270 has about 300mah of capacity, and RCR123/16340 about 600mah, and 14500 about 800mah, and of course, the Atom comes in all flavors. In a pinch, it's easier to find CR123 primaries than CR2s primaries, and WAY easier to find AA Alkalines/L91 lithium primaries, not to mention Eneloops, than either of the other two. I personally like running AA/14500 lights (Quarks) for the wide variety of cells to use in a pinch (add AAAs and 9Vs too).

But here's the beauty with 47s lights - their drivers are wide voltage/broad battery compatible and most of the Atom series uses the same driver with 1-4.2v operating range. So, you could get the ALR2 and just charge a 15270 cell a bit more frequently, then carry a small piece of just-in-case tinfoil in your wallet which will allow you run any chemistry AA, AAA, (maybe CR123-sized cells) in real pinch using just the head. ;)

(Note that Atom drivers do not fully support the V range.. ie, modes shift around depending upon voltage.)

7hns

Newly Enlightened
What are recommended reliable 15270s? Any protected?

Illum

Flashaholic
I have not seen any protected CR2s besides AW's limited run. CR2s generally provide very little practicality in lights that are meant to be powerful in nature. Born to be a memory backup battery it excels in voltage stability for very small loads, like 30mA, but suffers voltage wise above 300-500mA. The fact that 47's drivers can squeeze the power out of them in the manner illustrated by the reviews is in my opinion miraculous.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic

Not sure what else you're asking, but since I seem to be one of the few around here who likes (R)CR2, I'll add my thoughts....

Yes, I think that (R)CR123A is better in almost every way than CR2, but is just a little bit larger in size. More capacity, can deliver more current, less expensive, more readily available, more brands/types/options/chemistries of cells and many more choices for flashlights.

The thing is, though, that for a tiny flashlight ... a few more millimeters smaller sometimes makes the difference between too bulky to comfortably carry or not, and thus perhaps whether you have a (or another?) flashlight with you at all.

Let's now compare (R)CR2/15266 with the next smaller cells - 14250 (1/2AA), 10280, and N-cells, instead....

The 14250 are probably the rarest of all these cells, with very limited availability in terms of both batteries and flashlights. The 10280 have much less capacity, too, and neither has a (common) primary option.

The N-cells are mostly low-power alkaline cells, and not readily available. The only rechargeable option for the N-cell is NiMH, provides very low voltage, and is even more difficult to find.

So, then, why CR2 ? I think it provides a good compromise between availability, power, capacity, and options ... at a small size, for when that size is the primary criterion.

Last edited:

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have given up on constantly recharging my RCR123 sized lights.
I'm over with turning on my light that goes out a later for low battery.

You could consider an AAA size keychain light.
The AAA Eneloop Pro has 900mAh capacity.
The new Thrunite Ti3 has 150 lumens.

Nitecore is releasing the Tube, a 45 lumen USB rechargeable keychain light.

Last edited:

7hns

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm. So where is this nitecore tube? I can't find anything online about it. AAA won't have the same output and will also be ridiculous in the headlamp kit. If I stay with the small cells, I just can't fathom leaving the house with a light with a primary that is partially charged. It seems irresponsible and impractical. If I go to rcr2, capacity is so low though and I have to buy a ton of batteries etc

Etsu

Enlightened
CR2 or CR123? How about, neither. Get a AAA light, and use rechargeable enloops in it. Or AA if you don't mind something bigger. I hear you can now get 500 lumens out of a single AA light.

Why risk carrying a lithium-ion grenade next to the jewels by your pocket?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should look at some AAA lights, while longer, the slimmer size of the final light is sometimes easier to carry than a stubby light. I only have a Aeon for CR2, and while it's a fantastic light I would only use it with non-rechargeables.

As for CR123 lights, the new 16340 cells are and interesting new option since they are compatible with more CR123A lights if not all of them. With only 600mAh capacity though I would carry an extra cell. I find carrying an extra AAA similar to a CR123A and would use a delrin tube with either; again the AAA I find maybe a bit easy for a pocket cary as it is slimmer.

You might consider carrying two lights, your smal CR2 handy and a backup one with a high capacity cell maybe not quite so handy.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not out yet.

Likqcak.jpg