NEW Klarus XT12 930 lumens rechargeable

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
iiuapJ4.jpg

ayV7Ftt.jpg

dts71

Newly Enlightened
If only they changed that big proprietary connector to std micro USB...

buds224

Enlightened

IF, and that's a big IF, the proprietary plug is waterproof without a rubber cover, I wouldn't mind it at all. But if it still needs a rubber cover to protect it from water, then yes, a more standard micro USB would be my preference too.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
I dislike proprietary stuff as much as the next person, but Klarus' charging port always struck me as a pretty good execution. On the other hand, having repaired mobile phones on a daily basis for a while, I've found that micro-USB ports are usually one of the weak points on any gadget that has one...

IF, and that's a big IF, the proprietary plug is waterproof without a rubber cover, I wouldn't mind it at all. But if it still needs a rubber cover to protect it from water, then yes, a more standard micro USB would be my preference too.
Klarus' previous magnetic chargers are completely safe without any sort of cover. Sure it's proprietary, but the waterproofness is not an issue here.

Last edited:

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not proprietary is it? I remember seeing the exact same charger port on another brand - much larger multi-battery lights with the port on the tail next to the clikcy switch. I think the light was running multiple batteries in series but the charger port charged the batteries in parallel - or something like that. All I know was that I clicked on an ad here on CPF.

Xak

Enlightened
Need more info. Same UI as XT-11? Can this one tailstand?

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Selbuilt reviewed an L3 Illuminations Supbeam derivative unit made with a magnetic connector to the charger port.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...2-U2-3x18650)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO
Quote: "The charging dock is interesting. Like the Klarus RS11 (which this charging solution resembles), the dock is magnetic and there is no open voltage at the tail (i.e., no risk of shorting when cells are loaded). What you see at the exterior base are two metal circular contacts – these are connected to the terminals of the carrier through the springs. The charging cable directly attaches to the external contacts through a strong magnetic connection, just like the Klarus RS11."

Now if Zebralight resurrected their S6330 with this feature, I'd get it for sure.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
One unfortunate thing is the flap button, being an electronic switch which is always on, has some parasitic drain - one customer had a defective XT11 which drained the battery in a few months. This is always a risk with electronic switches.

Nonetheless, an XT12 which functions as intended, seems to offer some really good features never combined together like this before.

Now if they would just make a nontactical version:
1) mechanical clicky comes on low or memory mode
2) electronic flap switch only works after the main mechanical clicky is activated so no parasitic drain while off
3) flap switch changes modes from low to hi in small steps or infinitely variable.
4) tailstand
5) noncrenelated bezel

Last edited:

Shuutr

Newly Enlightened
If I hadn't already used up my flashlight budget this quarter, I think I'd be all over this one. looks like a good package.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
I think there is a lot to like here, but one thing I never get, as a colorblind person, is why gadgets continue to come out with red+green indicators. On previous stuff, I've had to add colored tape over the indicator to be able to tell when it was done.
A much better way, IMO, would be to have different blinking patterns, or physically separate indicator lights (one for charging, one for done). The i4 is a good example of a combination of both.

For me, and up to 10% of men, these two images look the same:
CCj0pVr.png

Last edited:

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
JLJmeb6.jpg

requires a proprietary cell for the internal charging. meanwhile the RS18 could charge any 18650! i just don't get it

LRzr3u8.jpg

Pegaso

Newly Enlightened
I've really liked the xt11 since the first time I saw it, and when this one suddenly popped up I just couldn't resist the temptation anymore.
Ordered one from Going Gear at the end of last week and according to USPS tracking page it arrived to Sweden today. Hopefully I'll get it tomorrow.

Pegaso

Newly Enlightened
Wohoo! I got my xt12 today.
The first impression is that it is well built and has got a lot of light to deliver. But I haven't had the possibility to properly try it out yet.

One thing that surprised me is that it didn't come with a pouch/holster.
Does anyone know of any pouch/holster that will fit? Would be much appreciated!

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could get a Klarus XT11 holster, they should fit. In Europe you can find spare holsters here: http://www.ecologeek4u.com/catalogue/lampes-klarus/holster-klarus-lampes-xt10-xt11-st11-rs11.html

Keep in mind their shipping charges are probably 10 euros so not really worth for a 6 euro pouch. Besides Klarus holsters are kind of cheap quality. You could try the Maxpedition universal sheath as it's adjustable: http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/UFBS-139p238.htm
More expensive for sure but definitely better quality than the Klarus holster too! : )