one more 100W LED cheap flashlight --- Help

StrikerofDeath

Newly Enlightened
100W LED cheap flashlight

Hi!
i will start make one cheap flashlight (just for fun) with 100w led chip.
I already have the LED and reflector with a 44mm lens, but the problem is focus of light.
8b9448d4-78ae-408b-b339-5f42e11d411b_zpsb1b8571e.jpg

at small distance gives a lot of light, but the range is very short.

in this project is possible to see the LED operation
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...oder-10000LM&p=4118601&viewfull=1#post4118601

how can I increase the range of light?

Last edited:

Conte

Enlightened
You would need a big kickass reflector for one.
It's a very large emitter that's probably designed to flood, so it will be difficult to get it the throw.

There might be some form of lenses that can, I don't know much about lenser style lights.

Look are the bright side, you got short range covered, won't even need to aim it.

LEDPunisher

Newly Enlightened
This would be the kind of LED that I want to put inside my Modded Coleman lantern. As-is, I'm stuck with a 15W 12V LED, but it is very bright.

I would look into a reflector cone, plenty of places on the net to find them for dirt cheap.

StrikerofDeath

Newly Enlightened
thanks for replies!
yes, at short range don't need to aim it!

I don't know much about light, lenses and reflectors, but I'm thinking make one more reflector in cone to put after the current 44mm lens. will be a good idea?

LEDPunisher

Newly Enlightened
thanks for replies!
yes, at short range don't need to aim it!

I don't know much about light, lenses and reflectors, but I'm thinking make one more reflector in cone to put after the current 44mm lens. will be a good idea?

You might be better off just getting a reflector that can go right atop the LED packaging, rather than using a lens and then a reflector.

Last edited:

JP Labs

Newly Enlightened
What a cool looking light!

I think a Magnifier like you showed would work, sure. Play with the distances of the lenses for focus if you don't like the initial beam.

A Fresnel lens is not really like a Loupe, no. It is thin and flat, often plastic, with multiple small circular ridges on one side of the surface. These ridges are prisms which bend light, so the effect is similar to that of a thicker glass lens, accurate. Advantages for Fresnel are low cost for large sizes, and you can cut them to the size needed. Ideally, you would want the final lens to be big enough to capture the entire beam of light from the first lens. Smaller will work, it will just catch less of the light.

Here's a pretty good picture of how it works:
http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/diagram/6675/fresnel-lens

StrikerofDeath

Newly Enlightened
Hah, what did you make e body out of?
PVC pipe.
What a cool looking light!

I think a Magnifier like you showed would work, sure. Play with the distances of the lenses for focus if you don't like the initial beam.

A Fresnel lens is not really like a Loupe, no. It is thin and flat, often plastic, with multiple small circular ridges on one side of the surface. These ridges are prisms which bend light, so the effect is similar to that of a thicker glass lens, accurate. Advantages for Fresnel are low cost for large sizes, and you can cut them to the size needed. Ideally, you would want the final lens to be big enough to capture the entire beam of light from the first lens. Smaller will work, it will just catch less of the light.

Here's a pretty good picture of how it works:
http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/diagram/6675/fresnel-lens

thanks for explain!
the fresnel lens are plastic, doesn't go melt down?

I will try find something at local shops.

JP Labs

Newly Enlightened
The light is pretty diffuse at the Fresnel lens, not concentrated, if focused right. So, any reasonable bulb should not melt it.

Old rear projection TVs, and overhead projectors, are two cheap or free sources for Fresnel lenses. My bicycle headlight uses a 6" circle cut from an overhead projector as a lens on the reflector. Not set up for long throw, but gives a nice pattern for biking.

Augbug

Newly Enlightened
I saw the same video and am going in the same direction, the tests I've done outside with the fresnel lens have been amazing, really incredible range and focus.

StrikerofDeath

Newly Enlightened
Hi!
I already have the lens, but was no time to make the body for it and test.
at first looks like it will work!
IMG_0820_zps8d3476a2.jpg

IMG_0821_zps70e2969c.jpg

IMG_0822_zps060fdd2b.jpg

JP Labs

Newly Enlightened
Perfect!

You will probably want to play with both lens positions to find best focus.

Sigrm

Newly Enlightened
How did this old story end? Would love to see how well you got the fresnel to work! Doing a similar build myself ;)

StrikerofDeath

Newly Enlightened
not over yet, I have used this light to camp.
when I have time, I'll redo it again with some features (including fresnel lens with fittings)