Brightest LED light for $30-40?

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey yall.. i'm @ my Uncle's right now and i'm in the process of converting him to a flashaholic..
he's been amazed by my PT40 and Arc LSL..
he's looking for an entry level LED light, his stipuations are the brightest for around 30ish dollars..

now i've been looking around and i can't decide what the brightest in the price range would be?

enlighten me!

Edit:
any brand, imposters included, or any mod/drop-in for a Minimag..

and MERRY CHRISTMAS CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif

LightScene

Enlightened
The Streamlight 3AA is probably the brightest for around $30, before shipping. It's rated at 35 lumens. It's a nice light.

Another interesting choice would be the new 3 C cell Luxeon 3 from elektrolumens.com for $50. He's kept this light especially small considering the power it packs. Check it out.

charliek

Enlightened
I think the best entry level LED flashlight that could get someone started on the flashaholic path is the Streamlight Propolymer 4AA (7 LED). Nice and bright- smooth beam, and about 23bucks.... runs darn near forever on a set of batteries... He'll LOVE it...

paulr

Flashaholic
If he already has a Minimag, he could get a dat2zip sandwich for around that.

charliek

Enlightened
If you're looking for a Minimag mod- the Madmax Plus Wideopen
(MM+wo) is a great drop in- but it's more in the $40 range ... if you already own a Minimag.... the Propolymer is great because it's cheap, uses AA batteries, watertight, excellent runtime, and is you really don't like the LEDs- you can drop 8 bucks for the Xenon module and drop it right in the light for a super-tight bright Xenon light.... when the batteries are too dead to make the Xenon filament glow, you can drop the LED module back in and get several more hours of useful light!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The CMG Reactor 3 is somewhere around $25 to $35 depending on where you get one. If CMG has "fixed" the glitches found in earlier Reactors, this ought to be a fine little flashlight.

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:
Elektrolumens Illumilux 3 AAA for $30 also...

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't on his site-- is this another CPF-Only offering that is hidden?

LightScene

Enlightened
The Streamlight 3AA is twice as bright (35 lumens) as the Reactor 3 (17 lumens). The Reactor 3 is considerably brighter than the SL 4AA.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol i wish my streamlight 3 aa was bright. i sent them a email a few days ago. i hope they help me out.but i do like the feel of the light and it apears to be well made

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
just because streamlight claims 35 lumens and 17 lumens doesn't mean that's the output.

led bin variations, optical innefficiencies, drive levels, etc have a huge affect in total output.

i would guess that neither claim is altogether accurate...

JJHitt

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
LightScene said:
The Reactor 3 is considerably brighter than the SL 4AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't say that if you had my Reactor 3 ... not even if you LOVED green. My SL ProPoly completely washes out the spot of green that comes out of my Reactor 3.

stockwiz

Enlightened
I would try the The Streamlight 3AA or perhaps the 3 C flashlight from electrolumens. The smaller 3 AA illumalux appears to use a low dome luxeon and mine had a nasty pea green/yellow color so I can't recommend that one.

You could also try for one of the $59.99 Arc LSL-S flashlights that they might be offering in a few days at bargain price, but you'll have to be quick. You should be satisfied with your purchase, though there's still a degree of "luxeon lottery" with the low domes. I just got lucky.

LightScene

Enlightened
Stockwiz, we're on the same wavelength with your first sentence - "I would try the The Streamlight 3AA or perhaps the 3 C flashlight from electrolumens.". If brightness is what he wants, then I don't see a better alternative below $50.

The LSL-S uses a low dome which only puts out about 17 lumens - very, very similar to the Reactor 3 (I have the latest versions of both).

The Streamlight is advertised as putting out 35 lumens, so if you have/get one that's not that bright, send it back. I have a friend who has the Streamlight, and I can tell you it is a lot brighter than the Reactor 3.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, please nobody be mad at me here, I'm going to play devil advocate.

Is any full size flashlight using 1 watt LED gonna be bright enough to impress a non-flashaholic?

I mean I can just see myself saying....

"well ok, it's about the same as my maglight, maybe whiter that's all"

For me I wasn't impressed until the 5 watt Surefire came out or seeing the power of a full size light in a E1e/KL1. That's when I was impressed.

My point is, I can't think of any $30 flashlight that is there yet, is there?

GregR

P.S. Shoot I just though of one close to it..my Anglelux from Wayne uses a one watt Luxeon, it is tough as nails, bright and has a nicely focused beam, it was $60 though.

SockMan

Newly Enlightened
I agree with Double_A. If you stick to a $30-40 dollar LED light when brightness is a priority, then you are very limited when it comes to choices.

The 4AA and 3AA LED lights from Streamlight appear to be the brightest ones that I would recommend considering the price cap. However, if you want an incandescent-buster, then I would recommend going to a $50 light from Elektrolumens at least.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, my Uncle isn't a flashaholic but he prefers the light of my Arc LSL to the light of my PT40..
he was very impressed with the blinding spot of light it put on the palm of his hand from a couple feet away!
i was so proud when i heard he'd rather have the nice mid-range flood than a stunning spot.. (of course he'd expect more brightness from a larger LED light probly)

right now my granma has opted to get him an Arc LS.. since the LSL's probly wont be readily available i'll have to find a nice deal on an LSH.. maybe in the BST forum or i could drop my discount Peter gave me on it..

and since my granma has offered to get that, i think i'm gonna throw in a SL Luxeon or a drop-in for one of his Minimags.

thanks for the suggestions yall! it was great to find all this help when i got to NH today for my third Christmas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

-Ryan

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't think brightness should be the main concern in this quest. If he likes your PT40 and wants an LED light that size, I'd say get a Streamlight Propoly 4AA. For something flashaholic-like, a sandwich for his Minimag (all proto-flashaholics already have Minimags /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). If he wants a keychain EDC, then an Arc AAA. If he just wants a small bright light, get an incandescent like a Scorpion or G2.