1,720 ft High tsunami

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 1,720 ft High tsunami 1958

That is called a Mega Tsunami. This is to distinguish it from the normal Seismic event (tectonic) triggered Tsunami. There is a Discovery Channel program on this, that goes into details, and the next most likely Mega Tsunami will come from the Canary Islands, when nearly half of a volcano slides into the Atlantic Ocean, which is estimated to be a full half Mile high, and affect the east coasts of North, Central, and South America. When?? No telling, though scientists are keeping an eye on the volcano in question, as the break is visible and growing.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

brightnorm,

Very nice link; I come here to read about flashlights and you send me on an hour adventure deciphering geological maps and such. Just the thought of something splashing 1720ft high really boggles the mind.

Thanks for posting this. Sometimes distractions can energize the mind.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

very fascinating, indeed!
someone got pics?
found some good sites surfing the links you provided, thanx brightnorm!
bernhard

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the change of pace. Some pics of other tsunamis.

http://geopubs.wr.usgs.gov/circular/c1187/

I knew someone who survived the 1946 tsunami in Hilo. They were in school that day and the water suddenly dropped exposing the reef and fish. A lot of the children ran to collect the exposed fish. Needless to say, that wasn't the right thing to do.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

cheesehead, can't help it but those two and a half lines you wrote there are quite unsettling. Sends a shiver down my spine.

Now downloading the pdf-file from your link - will be done in one hour /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif (dialup), thanx for providing.

bernhard

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

There are no pics of a Mega Tsunami, only the the damage in Letuya Bay. There was a father and son who were on their boat, in the bay, fishing when it happened. They weren't the only ones there, but, they and their boat survived. Others didn't.

Picture a wave so high, that it is over all buildings in New York City. That is a Mega Tsunami.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Charles Bradshaw said:...There is a Discovery Channel program on this, that goes into details, and the next most likely Mega Tsunami will come from the Canary Islands, when nearly half of a volcano slides into the Atlantic Ocean, which is estimated to be a full half Mile high, and affect the east coasts of North, Central, and South America...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's disturbing. I used to live in the Canary Islands - the main island of Tenerife, which has the highest mountain (El Teide). I've been up it many times, and I've been to some of the other islands, where there are some active volcanoes (just smouldering, really). I wonder if they meant El Teide.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Charles Bradshaw said:
There are no pics of a Mega Tsunami...

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder why!! Like I said, the stuff of nightmares. How in h@ll do you escape something like that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Brightnorm

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Wow!

I live at around 32' above MSL...

I am a pretty long way from either OCEAN coast...

I don't believe there is anything higher than a couple hundred feet between here and the Atlantic...

It boggles the mind!

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:...I live at around 32' above MSL...

...I don't believe there is anything higher than a couple hundred feet between here and the Atlantic...

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe,

I hear you can get swimming lessons at the Y pretty cheap. Either that, or I would get busy building an arc.

Good luck, pal!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Latest posts