Streamlight Stylus 3

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just won one on Ebay. Kind of an impulse buy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It comes with a "glare guard". Should come in handy since I can clip it to my shirt pocket like a pen. Anbody else own one of these?

paulr

Flashaholic
I've never seen one but they've gotten favorable reviews. You can get replacement batteries by taking apart 9 volt rectangular alkaline cells (they have six AAAA's inside).

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can buy AAAA's at Wal Mart, can't I?

I saw an elevator mechanic using a Stylus 3 about a month ago and it's been on my mind ever since. Seemed very handy and bright.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a white Stylus 3 for several years, owned a Stylus 2 (red) a little longer than that, and I also picked up the Stylus 3 with flexible extension a year or two ago. Very efficient lights, still on the original batteries for all three of them.

-Keith

BillM

Newly Enlightened
Yeah,

I have a few. One is for my wife. She finds it ideal in nursing. I like it because it's so easy to carry. Used to carry it in my shirt pocket before I EDC'd with an Arc in my pants pocket. Now I keep one in my Franklin planner (one of the pen holders). It also works well anywhere you would retain a pen. Streamlight claims a 10 hour battery life and that seems accurate. Good and versatile.

Bill

paulr

Flashaholic
Yeah, you can buy AAAA's at Rite-aid too, but getting them out of 9 volt batteries is much cheaper. Also you normally have to buy AAAA's in pairs, so you buy two packs to replace the three cells in the Stylus, and you have an extra one left over.

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
Congrats on your purchase! Hope you find them as useful as I do. I always carry several - both the normal Stylus 3 and the Reach models. I buy batteries either at Office Depot or a local drug store with a camera shop that happens to stock the AAAA.

I use them at work for:

Illuminating holes or openings. Since you can jam them into spaces and light them up, I use them for opening up floppy drives, tape drives, Zip drives... prior to cleaning or repair. Leaves your hands free for cotton swabs, compressed air... Regular lights of AA size are too big.

Since they tend to be spot beams, illuminating specific things or pointing out particular pieces. i.e. showing the customer burnt circuits or blown chips. Time to replace the computer!

Dropping them into wallspaces. I do lots of wiring in double-wall construction. I drill a hole at the top of the wall, drop one in on a string - that way I can see what is in the wall. It is so much nicer than cutting into the wall and wondering if you are going to hit a live wire. I used to use a Solitaire, but the cleaner, whiter light of the LED is a plus.