The Amazing Malkoff Surefire Synergy!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings and Illuminations!

I got this idea from another post in which a CPFer mounted a Malkoff E bezel to a LX2 tube and tail. So I thought why won't this work with a VME head? Well it does! I have a M61SHO in basically a LX2 platform. The old Mark III eyeball estimates the low at around 150 lumens and the high at 400+ Malkoff lumens. All in a compact package with the totally awesome SF user interface.

I am not a fan of the 5/500 split in Surefire products. Now I get what i want. A great all round illuminator with a killer high beam. And I can update it with anything Malkoff has to offer which is a lot!

Man it is a good time to be a flashaholic!

kelmo

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's my current gripe about new SF lights, low is for me not enough for general tasks and high is too bright and wastes power when you need longer runtime and a general purpose 30-50 lumen beam. That's why I stick with my LX2 and L1.
Maybe a P1R in the future.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I'm surprised the low gives you 150 lumens, but knowing the M61L is 175 and runs for 5 hours, I would imagine you're going to get less than the LX2 spec of 24 hours on low mode. Either way, love the lego! I agree with RobertMM that the new lights (save for maybe the Fury and Pro models) just don't have a high enough low mode. I love my LX2. In stock form, it is an excellent all arounder and can be made even more useful with a F05 red filter, or F04 diffuser.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if you stumble upon a spare LX2 tailcap, you could carefully open it and access the resistor inside... stock one is 1/8 Watt 10 Ohm size, 3mm long, as I can remember... you can easily fit 1/4 Watt and even 1/2 Watt metal film resistor with higher value... 30 ohms should give you a nice 50-60 lumens if you're getting 150 with 10 ohms now... plus higher wattage will insure it doesn't burn down the time...

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Try 17670's or 16650's. The voltage will be lower than 2xCr123's against the stock resistor, and still give high current to the LED.

Bill

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Wow, I'm surprised the low gives you 150 lumens, but knowing the M61L is 175 and runs for 5 hours, I would imagine you're going to get less than the LX2 spec of 24 hours on low mode. Either way, love the lego! I agree with RobertMM that the new lights (save for maybe the Fury and Pro models) just don't have a high enough low mode. I love my LX2. In stock form, it is an excellent all arounder and can be made even more useful with a F05 red filter, or F04 diffuser.

+1, LX2 with F04 is an incredibly versatile setup.