Converted my Quark AA Tactical to Mometary

TeeJay37

Newly Enlightened
I converted my Quark x AA2 Tactical to momentary only and had a coworker trim it back on his lathe to get that lip out of the way. Just figured I'd share with you guys.

Nicrod

Flashaholic
That's pretty cool! So is it strictly momentary now? No more constant on!?

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice modification, I wish Foursevens had something like this for sale. How did you make the clickie momentary only?

TeeJay37

Newly Enlightened
Yes, what LightWalker said. If you're using it in a defensive situation, you don't want it to broadcast where you may be trying to hide or get away to. The reason you may want it to be momentary only is because in the stress of a situation, you're most likely going to mash that button as hard as possible.

TeeJay37

Newly Enlightened
LightWalker, it was actually really simple.

First, put the tips of a pair of needle-nose pliers into these to holes in the tailcap and break the thread. Once it's broken free, I just stuck a mechanical pencil tip into one of the holes and spun it off. That was a lot easier than using the pliers the entire time.

Then, take a thin razor blade or precision screwdriver and pry these two tabs. There's a set on either side of it, so you may need to pry the tabs on both sides. Once you clear those little retainer hooks, you can just lift the cover off. Be careful taking it apart, because there are a few small parts inside.

Inside of the top cover is the clicky switch. It works pretty much exactly like the a clicky pen. I didn't think to take before pictures, so you'll just have to see what it looks like if you take yours apart. The clicky part is in two pieces. You'll need to separate them to do the mod. The larger piece that actually touches the rubber of the switch should be set aside. You won't need to mess with it. The other piece that slips inside the larger one is what you'll need to change. There are 4 tabs around the circumference of the part. These need to go away. I just, very carefully, shaved them off with my knife. A razor blade would probably be ideal.

Once you do that, it's time to put it back together. Put everything back in the way it came out. You'll have to make sure, before you clip the cover back on to the switches circuit, that the clicky's stem is protruding like in my second picture. It is possible to put it back together with it flush with the cover. This will still allow it to work, just not very well or reliably. Once the switch is resembled, put it all back into the tail cap. Here's a picture of the order, in case you mix them up.

Let me know if any of that didn't make since!

Last edited:

TeeJay37

Newly Enlightened
The good thing is that Foursevens offers a replacement tail cap for only $9 if you screw something up! You can also get a replacement boot kit that comes with a tool to take that retaining ring off.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok TeeJay37 , thank you for the detailed description and photos. As you said the switches are only $9 so the light can be converted back to a clickie without much expense.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're using it in a defensive situation, you don't want it to broadcast where you may be trying to hide or get away to. The reason you may want it to be momentary only is because in the stress of a situation, you're most likely going to mash that button as hard as possible.

Jeez, you don't need a momentary button, you need a new neighbourhood! :D

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome mod I think I'll give it a whirl, just because I have extra Tac clickies sitting around, and it seem useful to have that variation.... and thanks for posting the exploded view photos, always wanted to know how dig into that clicky further.... for a just in case field repair.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old tactical switch that don't have anodizing on the threads and can't be locked out that I need to do this to.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just did it and it works good. You have to be careful when cutting the tabs not to cut too much.