New - Hello

Lundo

Newly Enlightened
Well, I just discovered this forum today. I have been on bladeforums.com for a while, and was looking in their section on gadgets, and, one thing led to another, and I got to flashlights.

My flashlight broke today. I need a new one. After reading some of the stuff I have seen here, my mind is racing.

What I used to have is a mini mag, that fit into my mini pock-its holder. That is an absolute must for a replacement.

Now I am seeing that you guys modify mini mags, or you can buy them already modified, etc.

Basically, I have not set my mind on any specific brand. So, I would like suggestions on getting a new light, asap, and I will give you my criteria. I have seen names of manufacturers here that I never have seen before, so bear with me.

What I want is this:

1. Must fit mini pock-its holder.
2. As bright as possible.
3. Click switch if possible
4. Now I see there are led lights and regulated power supplies!!!!! Well, I would, I think, like the light to remain constant until the power dies, but warns me when the batteries are low.
5. AA Batteries (2)
6. Durable, reliable

I hated the fact that my last light would constantly go from bright to dim, and I would have to constantly tap on the side of it, to make it brighter. I want constant brightness. If you have an argument that direct power is better, let me hear it. I am open to all discussion.

As you see, I am new to the technology of flashlights. I think I could have a good time here!

I like the led lights that I am reading about. I see many posts about the Opalec Newbeam. I have not found a pic of this yet. Is it good? Where can I see/maybe buy it?

What's the skinny on getting a mini mag, and retrofitting it? Is that what a lot of you guys do?

I am excited about this, so, let me know!!!

Ciao!

snuffy

Enlightened
Welcome Lundo,

The one that comes closest ( misses your # 2) to meeting your want list, I believe, is the Opalec NewBeam.

http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.tpl?cart=10227850813103&sku=OPA3W

I'm sure there will be others posting their advise before long.
grin.gif

Good luck in your quest.

Orcinus Orca

Newly Enlightened
I second snuffy's suggestion for the Opalec. It is well within the light's capabilities to meet all of your criteria should you decide on a kroll tailcap switch--thus making it "clicky." It will also maintain the familiar form-factor that you are allready used to. Unfortunately, in most cases you are going to have to sacrifice brightness for regulation and runtime--both of which the opalec exceed at. You will find, however, that the level of light provided by the 3 nichia leds will likely satisfy 95% of your lighting needs.

Should you desire extreme brightness, I would highly recomend a SureFire G2, now down to under 30 dollars at some very respectable dealers including texas tactical supply and tactical warehouse. This will give you an amount of light equal to the output of a 5D cell maglight for an hour or so. Like I said before, you are sacrificing runtime and regulation, but the discharge curve of the lithium batteries it eats is fairly flat.

In any case, welcome to CPF, and whatever you do, research and ask questions before making your decision. The people here are always helpful and friendly.

Respectfully,
Dale

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
While the Opalec meets most of the listed criteria (it doesn't meet the "as bright as possible" requirement), I'd have to vote for a Madmax or "my favorite drop in", a BadBoy 400 (see the link in logicnerd411's post above). If you order off of dat2zip's site, he sells the Kroll switch also. A little less expensive and still very bright, InReTech's drop in for the AA minim@g.

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where at in Pittsburgh? I may be able to point you to a good source...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Howdy Lundo!

I got here via bladeforums as well. I got all knifed out (well, mostly broke and in trouble!).

I don't have an Opalec, instead I chose to go Madmax. It is BRIGHT! It spreads the light out very nicely. Mine is running on 1600mAh NimH batteries from Panasonic while I condition some Eveready 1850mAh's. I don't run it very long at one time, and those batteries have lasted nearly two weeks (getting checked nightly for remaining voltage - 1.31 tonight).

I have seen what it will do with nearly dead batteries and thus don't worry about when it will need recharged.

Good luck in your quest, and if a M!n!m*g is what you are used to, then you do need Opalec, Madmax, Badboy, or something from InReTech.

Lundo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys!

FC: I live in Whitehall/Baldwin area.

I like the idea of the Badboy drop in. I think I am getting the hang of this stuff. And, I would purchase the Kroll switch as well.

What site could I buy all of this at again. Oh, not to forget, I destroyed my old mini mag, so I actually need a new one of those as well!!

I'll keep reading.

And, FC, get back to me. Maybe we are in the same area?

Ciao

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uh Joe, you sure those batteries have lasted 2 wks? Non-Stop?
tongue.gif
How many mins of intermitent use?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
also while you are at the sandwhich shop, be sure to think about the mcflood reflector. it isn't very good for throwing a beam, but it gives an excellent flood!

mini's are available just about anywhere batteries are sold
grin.gif
(wal-mart, target, k-mark...you get the idea)

also, after you get that, you will need a:
-arc aaa (get this as soon as possible, it's a requirement)
-arc ls
-blaster 2
-surefire e2e
-surefire m6
-maxabeam
-tigerlight
-ultrastinger
(there are other lights you need as well, but this is a good starter list
grin.gif
)

Saaby

Flashaholic
Lundo--

NO need to replace optics if your end up with 5mm LEDs (Opalec and others). If you go with a Luxeon Star LED you can use stock optics or something like a McFlood.

The reason you can't really focus a LED is that..well..you can. Most LEDs emit most their light out the front and the LED body itself focuses the light. You can get side emitting LEDs, however, that are focusable.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
generally speaking, the way the leds are designed don't work that well with small reflectors.

when you couple any led with a larger reflector, they can focus quite nicely.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Nerd,

Total time lit on these batteries may not be more than 30 minutes but could be near an hour.

It's possible that it ain't been but a week. I'm conditioning some new Eveready 1850mAh Nimhs, so my charger is kinda tied up. So anyhow, what works for me may well not work for you.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Nerd,

Total time lit on these batteries may not be more than 30 minutes but could be near an hour.

It's possible that it ain't been but a week. I'm conditioning some new Eveready 1850mAh Nimhs, so my charger is kinda tied up. So anyhow, what works for me may well not work for you.

Oh Lundo! If you order a Badboy or Madmax module from Dat2Zip (you can't get it from anyone else as far as I know) you will get the NX05 optic that results in good comprimise between throw and flood. I personally see no need for a McFlood optic.

Lundo

Newly Enlightened
Is there an online shop where I can get the:

1. Mini-Mag Lite (Black)... as it is sold
2. Opalec Newbeam dropin replacement
3. Kroll Tail cap switch

at the same time?

If so, I would start there and buy from there first. I think you guys are gonna get me into a new hobby.

People just don't understand (women) guys and hobbies (obsessions). I was a knife knut for many years, and it eventually became, at least in part, on of the reasons for my divorce!!!

Don't get me wrong, I did'nt choose the knives over my wife, but, it did cause problems. Nuff said on that.

Now, to the safe hobby, and somewhat less expensive it seems, of flashlights.

I will keep reading. Keep pouring on the info.

Tell me some online shops where I can get the items above.

I guess most of you all start out with a mini mag?
At least, that is the feeling I am getting. When I see those surefires, man, they sure look nice, but, I am not a cop or firefighter, want something smaller, don't want to have to have a special scabbard for it, and don't want to pay nearly, or over $100.00 for a flash light!!!

Now, I did act this way when I got started with knives too. I said to myself: I would never spend over $30.00 on a knife. HUH!!! You know where that got me? I became a Microholic!!!! I had to get treatment to break the habbit
smile.gif

Thanks again,

Ciao,

Lundo

Newly Enlightened
Oh, I forgot to mention...

I see you guys replace optics as well. Well, shiver me timbers... This is gonna get exciting.

Tell me about that if you can. Will I need to change the optics on my new light that we are creating?

Also, here is a good newbie question:

Why can't a LED light be adjusted like the MiniMag can. I see no reason you can't put a reflector of some sort in the vacinity to allow for this.

Thanks