What do Petzl, Malkoff, and Napa Earthquake have in common?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work for the California Courts and if you have been watching the news an earthquake has devastated much of historic buildings in downtown Napa. The historic Courthouse being one of said buildings. The past few days I have led a damage assessment team in the building. The lights I used were a Petzl Pixa 3 on my hardhat and a Malkoff Hound Dog. The Hound Dog was one of those last minute decisions. As I was leaving my house I threw it in my gear bag. Both lights proved to be immensely useful. Crawling around with the structural engineer the 3 Petzl settings were perfect, flood, semi-flood/throw, and throw.

The Hound Dog saved us a lot of crawling around due to it's tremendous throw and output. I have the 750 lumen version I think. The engineer indicated the building was unsafe but stable. The beam enabled us to minimize our time in the damaged section of the building. Aftershocks really gave us major pucker factor.

It was surprising the crap lights everybody else had. Only one team member had a decent light, a SF LX2.

I was reminded to not leave my light out as it might "get lost!"

I bought the Hound Dog on a whim not knowing I would actually use it in a critical situation.

Thanks for sharing.

kelmo

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! A great quality light is very useful. I hope you get back to "normal" soon. Be safe. :thumbsup:

Latest posts