Imalent        
Page 181 of 181 FirstFirst ... 81131171174175176177178179180181
Results 5,401 to 5,406 of 5406

Thread: SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

Default Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

Quote Originally Posted by Gaudi View Post
    I usually use my SkyRC MC3000 charger to recondition NiMh and LiIon batteries.
    Hello Gaudi, does this really help? Which programm & parameters do you use to recondition NiMH cells?

Reason why I ask:
    I have older and newer AAA and AA eneloops and EBL USB chargers that I take along on trips to remote areas without electricity, where I recharge from a somewhat bigger USB power bank. These EBL chargers refuse to recharge some of the older eneloops for their increased internal resistance.

However, my older Camelion charger, and also the MC3000, recharge these same cells without any issue, and they also work well in the devices that I power with them.

I hope after the reconditioning - with your parameters - I can recharge these older eneloops also with the EBL USB chargers.
    leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but memories

My Website

Quote Originally Posted by wus View Post
    Hello Gaudi, does this really help? Which programm & parameters do you use to recondition NiMH cells?

Reason why I ask:
    I have older and newer AAA and AA eneloops and EBL USB chargers that I take along on trips to remote areas without electricity, where I recharge from a somewhat bigger USB power bank. These EBL chargers refuse to recharge some of the older eneloops for their increased internal resistance.

However, my older Camelion charger, and also the MC3000, recharge these same cells without any issue, and they also work well in the devices that I power with them.

I hope after the reconditioning - with your parameters - I can recharge these older eneloops also with the EBL USB chargers.
    Hi, I by no means mean to establish a procedure to fix worn batteries. Once they show high internal resistance and they do not hold good charge any longer, they are bound to be disposed.
    I have a couple of Siemens Gigaset DECT phones (C430H, C610H), and they seem to trash eneloops in as short as 3-4 months, so it looks that the handset internal charger is a piece of crap (at least for LSD batteries like Eneloop).

Having said that, I have managed to bring back to usable life in low demanding applications (remote controls, kid toys, low power led lights). Many of them reduced their internal resistance from >2000 mOhm to around 200-400 mOhm (some mention that MC3000 is not a reliable way to measure such variable).

Program I have used is:
    BATT TYPE: Eneloop
    MODE: Refresh
    MODEL: Std AAA
    C.CURRENT: 0.40A
    D.CURRENT: -0.10A
    C.RESTING: 30min
    D.RESTING: 60min
    CYCLE COUNT: 5
    CYCLE MODE: C>D>C
    TARGET VOLT: 1.65V
    DELTA PEAK: 3mV
    TRICKLE C.: OFF
    TRICKLE TIME: OFF
    RESTART VOLT: OFF
    D.REDUCE: OFF
    CUT VOLT: 0.90V
    CUT TEMP: 45°C
    CUT TIME: OFF
    Please observe that the cut off voltage for discharging is 0.9V, which may be low for some people. I have also noticed in the continuous chart (Data Explorer) that the capacity consistently improved after each cycle.

And this is the reason why I would like the charger to test for Internal Resistance after each cycle, to see if it improves or not: without touching the battery or switching bays, even if the measure is not accurate, the shown trend could be useful. I can set a single refresh cycle, and retest anfterwards, but it is cumbersome and not unattended.

Hope it helps.

Default Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 / CES 2016 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

Hi so I replaced my 2nd gen MC3000 and now using a dual fan version since 2019.
    I had a closer look at the terminal contacts and wondering if the following is normal, is the stainless steel coming off or is something corroding? Can it be cleaned? With what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jabz View Post
    Hi so I replaced my 2nd gen MC3000 and now using a dual fan version since 2019.
    I had a closer look at the terminal contacts and wondering if the following is normal, is the stainless steel coming off or is something corroding? Can it be cleaned? With what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mine is like new, and it is also ca. 2018.
    Do you use/store your unit in a humid place?
    Any sort of fumes?
    Have you charged defective batteries that may have leaked?
    Try using WD40 with a small brush and a paper towel to clean.

The photo looks indeed as if the metal is corroded, but I think this impression might also be caused (or emphasized) by making the photo using a wrong white balance.

On my unit it looks like this: (Photo made with white balance set hard to daylight, using a daylight white balanced strobe:-):

My MC3000 is about the same age as yours. I did not need to clean its contacts so far.

If I need to clean cell tops, I use a fiberglass pen. Should I ever need to clean the charger΄s contacts, I will probably use this pen, too, although I would then hold the unit upside down, so that the scratched off (electrically conductive) dust can't fall into it.

@Gaudi - thanks for the ...
    Program I have used
    We have some DECT phones, too, with the same problem. And it is by no means limited to LSD cells - I tried with "classic" NIMHs as well.
    leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but memories

My Website

Mine is like new, and it is also ca. 2018.
    Do you use/store your unit in a humid place?
    Any sort of fumes?
    Have you charged defective batteries that may have leaked?
    Try using WD40 with a small brush and a paper towel to clean.

It looks like corrosion indeed. Have you had cells venting during operation?
    WD40 is not ideal in this case IMO, since it leaves a residue that evaporates very slowly. Try isopropanol (sometimes called rubbing alcohol) with some cotton buds. Do not spray any liquid directly on the contacts, since the liquid can get inside the unit.

Page 181 of 181 FirstFirst ... 81131171174175176177178179180181