Quick Review: Fenix HL50 vs. HL21

sed6

Enlightened
I received my new HL50 many weeks back and I've been meaning to post this for a while. I really like the HL50. There are several significant improvements over my heretofore favorite headlamp the HL21.

Most at importantly the light is captive to the headband and cannot fall off or be knocked off but it can be removed easily enough by removing the tail cap. My HL21 has been accidentally knocked off a time or two when working around the house.

First off I love the AA form factor. The CR123 option is nice and can provide longer run times, but that didn't seem to be the case for me. I burned through two CR123's pretty quick and then simply switched to AA's. Plus AA's cost 1/2 as much for me (YMMV). I do not however like the switch operation. It's a press-hold to turn on and click to adjust levels whereas the HL21 is click to turn on and press-hold to change levels. Perhaps I'm used to the HL21 or perhaps I'm impatient (I don't like to wait for my light to turn on or off, it needs to be instant) but I like the HL21's operation better.

The HL50 is a very nice looking light. Compared to the HL21 it looks like an "outdoor adventurers" headlamp whereas the HL21 says "medical personnel". While they both weigh near enough to the same the HL50 feels heavier in your hand, but not on your head. The smaller size, sharper corners and aluminum constriction all make it feel more substantial than the HL21.

Although the part of the light that contacts your forehead is smaller on the HL50, it's just as comfortable as the HL21. I can wear it around for hours on end without any fatigue.

Although I use my headlamps daily around the house, I purchase them in mind for outdoor use, caving specifically. I want and need a light that is comfortable, dependable and easy to feed when I'm underground. With that said, the best I could manage for beam shots was my attic.

Low

Med

High

Burst

Things I like more about the HL50
-light can't fall off headband
-two battery choices
-brighter, longer runtime

Things I like more about the HL21
-diffuser is very useful
-switch operation

Overall the HL50 is the better light and I like it more and more. I think eventually I get used to the switch operation and it'll become my favorite headlamp!

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Thanks for the review :)

One question, how does the HL50 compare to the HL21 in throw? I know it will be less, but is it at least comparable?

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Say, do you think this light could serve as a good pocket light, with a decent clip? I'm imagining wearing it in a shirt pocket, lamp pointed out.

Latest posts