suggestions for me in order not to have a regret life in the future

samiluo

Newly Enlightened
I just turned 26 a couple days ago, I know many of you are older than me and have much life experience, can possible give me some suggestions of what should I do in this age in order not to have a regret life in the future? Many thanks!

When I get older I look back all those days I know what I need to do at that age, but when I'm at this age I always lost..

radiopej

Enlightened
I'm 26 too, but I'll give you a suggestion anyway.

Don't let people trick you into making the choice they want. You'll often have something presented as a logical choice, only to realise how sneaky that person was in their suggestion years later.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a lot older than you and I still struggle to make the right decision so I don't have regrets in the future.
> Keep your options open. Sounds simple. It applies to almost everything from school, to work, to where you live. Doing your best, even for small things and things you don't like will help keep options open.
> Take chances when you can. "With great power, comes great responsibility" is a great quote, but the converse is not true. With great responsibility, you have less power and flexibility. But you can still make choices and take risks.
> Not only is change a fact of life, but the pace of change is always increasing. Fasten your seatbelt and get ready.
> Life is stressful and you need to find a way to release stress that is not self-destructive.
> Know your values and recognize when you are compromising them. Sometimes you don't have a choice - I'm not talking about killing anyone or fraud or anything so basically wrong - and you have to be aware that you are doing something that goes against your values and compensate when you can.
> Nothing is perfect. No job, no person, no situation, no possession is perfect.
> Finally, some clichés are really clichés and some are true. It is hard to tell the difference. "You have your whole life in front of you." "Money can't buy you love." "If you have your health, you have everything." "Hindsight (looking back) is 20/20 (perfect vision)." "Just do it."

Good luck.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Marriage is hard. Getting married is not the finish line nor the grand finale: it is the start of a long journey that takes lots of work. Don't get married expecting things to get easier. Be ready to work at it.
2. Save for retirement starting when you're young. If your employer does 401k matching, take full advantage of it. If they don't, try to put 10% of your income in a Roth IRA account.
3. Try to resist keeping up with the Jones. You will be much happier being debt free than having the new SUV or sports car that just came out. Learn to be content with what you have, take care of your possessions, and buy what you need, not what you think you want.
4. Lastly, don't care what ANYONE thinks (except your close friends and family). Be true to yourself, your vision, and your values. If anyone doesn't see eye to eye with them, you're probably better off without them.

markr6

Flashaholic
1. Marriage is hard. Getting married is not the finish line nor the grand finale: it is the start of a long journey that takes lots of work. Don't get married expecting things to get easier. Be ready to work at it.
2. Save for retirement starting when you're young. If your employer does 401k matching, take full advantage of it. If they don't, try to put 10% of your income in a Roth IRA account.
3. Try to resist keeping up with the Jones. You will be much happier being debt free than having the new SUV or sports car that just came out. Learn to be content with what you have, take care of your possessions, and buy what you need, not what you think you want.
4. Lastly, don't care what ANYONE thinks (except your close friends and family). Be true to yourself, your vision, and your values. If anyone doesn't see eye to eye with them, you're probably better off without them.

^ Well said. I don't have anything to add to that.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't expect someone else to follow through on a commitment/promise, or assume that they will do what they say for you. Follow up and monitor closely to ensure things happen as expected. I learned this lesson the hard way when I was about your age, and now have a very short list of folks I trust to act in my best interest.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't live your life to avoid regret in the future...just try enjoy the present. If you do that, I doubt you will have many regrets.

(This applies to most things...but not to finances. Definitely get a strong start on that now, and it will make everything else easier for the rest of your life.)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might consider that living your life in a way that does not cause you to regret decisions later, is not totally a matter of choosing wisely (stupendous luck is awfully nice to get) but also a WAY of living; an attitude; a belief in yourself that whatever may come your way, it is a chance to learn about your world and yourself. It is who you are. Personally, I've never been able to utilize regret in a productive way to affect change for the better. Regret is something to discard.

The whole money issue is tricky. My father advised to work (reasonably) hard and smart so that your time is well spent. So many people do not have the self discipline or attitude to go that extra mile for the personal (and hopefully financial) reward that can come, on the job.

Also consider that each of us has only so many minutes to live.

ven

Flashaholic
26........ all your life ahead :DIf your working,maybe not happy,want some more money(dont we all) now is the time to do it if not in debt/mortgage/loans as after all you have potentially 40yrs of work ahead. Once the house/wife/kids come options are not as easy with all the responsibilities. Not knowing what qualifications/work you do ,now would be the time if possible to further yourself if you want!! of course.(Take the hit now) and come a few years time there will be no looking back:thumbsup: Other than that be good,treat others how one would like to be treated and enjoy life as after all you only get 1 shot.............make it a good one;) with no regrets.........

Oh and listen the the older folks as often been there and done that............i wish i had listened (a little) before the fast women and cars...........fun it was but boy was it expensive fun :laughing: ..............no regrets though,well not too many :thumbsup:

LGT

Enlightened
What ever your job may be, work hard at it to the best of your abilities.
As others have said, invest what you can afford towards your financial future.
If there is something you really want to do, and can afford it, do it. Don't keep saying "maybe next year."
Realize that your Family and friends aren't going to live forever. Enjoy 'em while you can.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, I've heard time and time again that very few people regret what they did earlier in life...if they have regrets, they tend to be things they did NOT do. So as LGT said, don't be afraid to try something, or to pursue your dreams. Even if it doesn't work out, you'll probably still be glad you tried.

Last edited:

Taz80

Enlightened
Don't be afraid to admit your wrong, And don't be afraid to say your sorry. As Ven said treat others as you would like others to treat you.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Follow your heart.
Don't be afraid to ask questions when you don't know ( this applies to nearly everything).
Save a small percent of your earnings always, no matter what.
Life is a series of choices....always do the next right thing. You will know what it is.

samiluo

Newly Enlightened
I'm a lot older than you and I still struggle to make the right decision so I don't have regrets in the future.
> Keep your options open. Sounds simple. It applies to almost everything from school, to work, to where you live. Doing your best, even for small things and things you don't like will help keep options open.
> Take chances when you can. "With great power, comes great responsibility" is a great quote, but the converse is not true. With great responsibility, you have less power and flexibility. But you can still make choices and take risks.
> Not only is change a fact of life, but the pace of change is always increasing. Fasten your seatbelt and get ready.
> Life is stressful and you need to find a way to release stress that is not self-destructive.
> Know your values and recognize when you are compromising them. Sometimes you don't have a choice - I'm not talking about killing anyone or fraud or anything so basically wrong - and you have to be aware that you are doing something that goes against your values and compensate when you can.
> Nothing is perfect. No job, no person, no situation, no possession is perfect.
> Finally, some clichés are really clichés and some are true. It is hard to tell the difference. "You have your whole life in front of you." "Money can't buy you love." "If you have your health, you have everything." "Hindsight (looking back) is 20/20 (perfect vision)." "Just do it."

Good luck.

Thank you! maybe what I need to do is to have a clear purpose and "just do it"

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Expectations are the seeds of disappointment. Practice acceptance whenever possible.

Money is important. More money seldom is. Learn to enjoy what you already have.

Free time is an illusion. You will pay for the next year of your life by becoming a year older. Make it count.

You can never have to much love. Find it where you can, make it where you can't.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Spend less time on the forums, lol. :eek: Camping trips with buddies beats a 'post count' every time.

I did some serious goofing-off in my 20's (like, for years) and don't regret one single minute of it.
Specifically, lots of outdoor activities in particular - road & mtn biking, recreational shooting, and hiking/camping.

My only regret is not funding a ROTH IRA back then, I did have extra cash that I could have used toward that.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been there too once. Others have mentioned financial things. I will just add a few things. Use credit cards responsibly. Learn how credit works, learn how to buy a house smartly and most importantly, learn how to buy a car properly. Pay cash whenever possible.

Now to the real stuff:

Family, one day them and you will be gone. You can NEVER get that time back. Make amends with any goofy family members. Never know when you will get the call that they are gone. The worst feeling in the world is them leaving this earth and you had a chance to make amends or say you are sorry or love them. TRUST ME on this.
Keep the harmful & drama filled family members at a comfortable distance.
Tell family & friends the truth, even if it hurts. (This does not apply to being married) You MUST always say "yes" & tell the wife she isn't overweight & that looks good.
MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!
Know you don't know everything
Shut up and listen
Don't worry what others think
Be the better person and walk away
Work hard at a career, work smart at a job.
When you do find a career, understand CLEARLY that those above you get paid to just be there, not work. One day that may be you up there, so don't ***** about it!!!!!
Look for a career by finding out how many at the top make the income you desire, then work your way to the top!
Ask questions ----> Part of that shut up and listen.
Don't be selfish.
Don't loan something and expect to ever see it again. Money included.
Get a cat or a dog, they will love you no matter how bad your day is.
Find a few fun hobbies
Don't buy a house with a HOA!
Access your self honestly, but don't be too harsh on yourself.
Thank your parents or who ever raised you for all their hard work and dedication to YOU!
Don't believe all you read online, including but not limited to this post!:confused:
Make friends with a CPA & Attorney, cause if you follow all of the previous posters & mine you will be successful enough to need them down the road.

Good luck

ven

Flashaholic
Spend less time on the forums, lol. :eek: Camping trips with buddies beats a 'post count' every time.

That is so true!!!! and i am guilty for spending a few hours a day on the net................

I think we live in a too much internet culture right now,more getting out,camping,exploring and travelling .......then when too old to do it join a forum and talk about it :laughing: moderation i guess is key to everything:)