PT Surge NOT Design for Outdoor Use?

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
I have been thinking, PT Surge is probably not design for long term outdoor usage and supposed to be used in water only? The reason is the Surge over heat very quickly and plastic head is not design to disipate the heat as quickly as metal head. However, if used in water, water will help the Surge to dissipate heat better than air. Also, PT web site doesn't list the Surge to be an "outdoor light".

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Following my experience, and I have three PT Surges, I never had an overheating problem. Usually, I go trough an entire three hours discharge cycle from time to time, and I only had a minor problem with the central hole of the reflector only with the very first model of Surge.
The new and improved version of PT Surge doesn't show this problem, since the central hole has been made one millimiter larger.

Most of the heat generated from the bulb is radiated from the reflector.

I realize that the Surge would be an outstanding light with an aluminium reflector and a better bulb holder, but for the price is, anyway, a very good buy.

Anthony

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of Surges that I use as a park ranger and never had a problem with overheating- it's just not a problem.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had the same problem as TheProphet, in that the reflector can get singed if the light is left on for a long time. I also have the first generation model.

AZMAN

Newly Enlightened
FROM A LEDmodMan post:

FNG: While the water may cool the lens in a diving application, it's still not enough. The bezel doesn't even get warm to the touch when the bulb falls out. I started thinking about this very thing last night, so off to the workbench I went. I resoldered the bulb sockets back into place for the second time. I then filled a large 6 gallon bucket up with cold water and turned the Surge on. Set the light into the bucket of water (it was also outside with the ambient air temp at about 40 degrees F) and left it alone for 10 minutes. Came back and picked the light up off the bottom of the bucket. With the light still submerged, I pointed the light down and struck the bezel against the bottom of the bucket (about as hard as if the flashlight was dropped from about 1 foot off the ground). The bulb still desoldered from the board! Even with outside cooling!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=39912&Forum=All_Forums&Words=surge%20water%20air&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=99&Old=allposts&Main=39903&Search=true#Post39912

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Maybe I'm wrong thinking that with external cooling would help dissipate the heat. Thanks for doing the test Azman. However, I still wonder why PT doesn't list the Surge as an Outdoor Light and outdoor store like Mountain Equipment Co-op doesn't carry it...

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't know about the reflector singing, but the bulb falling out is caused by a batch of Surges being made with the wrong kind of solder, which melted at too low a temperature. Give them a call and they'll fix it.