24ex46q.jpg

dmw46c.jpg

Upgraded version of the MC11 has an XP-G2 R5 led

http://fenixlight.com/ProductMore.aspx?id=146&tid=26&cid=1#.VAhpm_l_s3k

A lot new Fenix lights this months!

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Nice :) for what I've seen this is a handy light when camping. Did saw this new body earlier, but with the old specs.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see that BJ has it available for preorder, at $40.

Does the XP-G2 R5 have the same purple and green artifacts in the beam that seem to afflict the XM-L2?

What other similar AA angle flashlights is it competing against?

phosphor

Enlightened
I see that BJ has it available for preorder, at $40.

Does the XP-G2 R5 have the same purple and green artifacts in the beam that seem to afflict the XM-L2?

What other similar AA angle flashlights is it competing against?
....bought one and it arrived this week; no artifacts; beam color seems to be on the warm side. My first G2 emitter, and I really like it's characteristics of balanced throw and flood. Don't know what other angle-heads are out there except the Zebralight and the $10 Q5 Chinese clones of the MC11. I very much like this light.

lytumup

Newly Enlightened
I love the MC series by Fenix, I own 4 f the MC 10's. Can you confirm that in order to use the burst mode you have to constantly hold down the button? This seems rather inconvenient. Rumor has it that the next MC series flashlight being considered by Fenix will use either the 14500 or 18650 battery.

phosphor

Enlightened
I love the MC series by Fenix, I own 4 f the MC 10's. Can you confirm that in order to use the burst mode you have to constantly hold down the button? This seems rather inconvenient. Rumor has it that the next MC series flashlight being considered by Fenix will use either the 14500 or 18650 battery.
....yes, it seems that all the newly updated Fenix models with burst mode a require constant hold down to activate, which essentially eliminates burst if you're using the light for a task that requires both hands.

lytumup

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick response. Not much of a update from the MC 10 if I have to hold down the button to use the burst mode. Guess I'll pass on this one and wait for the next version to come out.

saypat

Enlightened
I have the MC11. If I haven't used the light for a while, it is the hardest of any of my lights to remember the UI :duh2:

phosphor

Enlightened
Thanks for the quick response. Not much of a update from the MC 10 if I have to hold down the button to use the burst mode. Guess I'll pass on this one and wait for the next version to come out.
I must admit, the burst mode is an odd feature to incorporate into what is essentially, I'm assuming, a task light.

Last edited:

phosphor

Enlightened
I have the MC11. If I haven't used the light for a while, it is the hardest of any of my lights to remember the UI :duh2:
The new model turns on immediately with a quick click, changes modes the same, but you have to hold the switch down for a second to turn it off. Again, odd !! ?? If one doesn't get the rhythm down correctly, it can be frustrating.

In spite of all this the beam color and profile are very appealing, to me at least.

I purchased one of the very first issued 2014 burst MC11's. According to a Fenix vendor I spoke with, the very newest packaging (produced within the last month) no longer includes the flip-up plastic diffuser, and now must it be purchased separately. However, I'm not certain it's any big loss as the plastic diffuser included in my package is on the flimsy side and sure to break within short order.

One would think with all the flaws I've cataloged, I'd be "soured", but something about the beam profile holds my mind with it's elegance. I find some flashlights are easier "to make peace with" than others.

Last edited:

lytumup

Newly Enlightened
"I purchased one of the very first issued 2014 burst MC11's. According to a Fenix vendor I spoke with, the very newest packaging (produced within the last month) no longer includes the flip-up plastic diffuser, and now must it be purchased separately. However, I'm not certain it's any big loss as the plastic diffuser included in my package is on the flimsy side and sure to break within short order."

That little diffuser is one of the main reasons I bought the light. well that and the ability to tilt the head at different angles. Fenix is starting to go the way of Maxpedtion and other quality brands, they are getting cheaper and stopped listening to there loyal customers. :ohgeez:

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
………………..no longer includes the flip-up plastic diffuser, and now must it be purchased separately. However, I'm not certain it's any big loss as the plastic diffuser included in my package is on the flimsy side and sure to break within short order……….

A Nitecore NFD25 white filter/diffuser should fit on this Fenix

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
……………..What other similar AA angle flashlights is it competing against?

What I have stumbled across is the Rofis JR30 (one AA or 14500). There is also the 1x-18650 powered JR20, and the 1x-CR123a powered JR10. All three had good reviews from Selfbuilt. One common criticism is that tail standing is a little wobbly, and some folks do not like the 2 switch UI.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That little diffuser is one of the main reasons I bought the light. well that and the ability to tilt the head at different angles. Fenix is starting to go the way of Maxpedtion and other quality brands, they are getting cheaper and stopped listening to there loyal customers. :ohgeez:

The diffuser on my MC10 broke after it was dropped. I actually fashioned my own one from the remaining hinge using a zip tie. There was nothing nice about that diffuser. The glare form the side was really bad. Had to paint the outside of the lens to stop the lens. In the end, I made it red by using a red filter.

yowzer

Enlightened
I would kill for this light with a floody E05 style optic. The diffuser that came with mine broke too, so I had to improvise (I found the cap off of a road flare fits perfectly.), but pure flood built in to it would be great.

The MC11 is one of my favorite lights. It's so flexible and useful. Clip it to a pocket, hold it in hand, set it down on a flat surface, hang it from something....

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MC11 is one of my favorite lights. It's so flexible and useful. Clip it to a pocket, hold it in hand, set it down on a flat surface, hang it from something....

I'm still using it (the MC10). The only thing I wish it would have is a high cri, warm LED. I'm glad this one has an XP-G2 though, it means swapping to a nichia 219A is a possibility.

yowzer

Enlightened
I'm still using it (the MC10). The only thing I wish it would have is a high cri, warm LED. I'm glad this one has an XP-G2 though, it means swapping to a nichia 219A is a possibility.

I didn't care for the MC10 switch.

Hmm. Looks like the body got a redesign too in this update. Maybe Fenix should have called it the MC12.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't care for the MC10 switch.

No, it wasn't the easiest to click and it was really stiff as well as being too small. I have worn it down now so it is much more pliable. Glad to see the switch on the MC11 is much bigger and still stiff enough to prevent accidental activation. I still like it[mc10] in that it probably one of the few lights that uses the Osram golden dragon. The clip is probably one of the hardest clips I've ever used on a light too but it does stay firmly clipped on to things. The balance wasn't great either as it would topple over with the slightest bump when the head was angled down. Sorted that out with a magnet on the base and got the extra feature of being able to attach to anything ferrous.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
………………….I purchased one of the very first issued 2014 burst MC11's. According to a Fenix vendor I spoke with, the very newest packaging (produced within the last month) no longer includes the flip-up plastic diffuser, and now must it be purchased separately……..

At Fenix-Store there is a note that the MC11 2014 Version will be "re-released" in mid December. I wonder if there is a minor upgrade to this light? It is shown as not available at several vendor websites. But BrightGuy shows it as in stock.

phosphor

Enlightened
At Fenix-Store there is a note that the MC11 2014 Version will be "re-released" in mid December. I wonder if there is a minor upgrade to this light? It is shown as not available at several vendor websites. But BrightGuy shows it as in stock.
...my understanding is that the re-released version has omitted on the packaging and in the literature any mention of an included diffuser. In other words, same light, but no included diffuser. That you must now purchase separately. I got this information via a phone conversation with a Fenix Store employee. She told me Fenix was re-printing the packaging and literature to omit reference to the diffuser as part of the package deal.

Bright Guy might still have some of the early release 2014 MC11's left, which would include the diffuser. I purchased my 2014 MC11 from a well known Hong Kong vendor. Hank sent me one from the first release, which included the diffuser.

The more I use the light, the more I like it. I've not used the diffuser yet, even once.

Last edited: