eagletac MX25L3 or MX25Lc

brawler1588

Newly Enlightened
Im not sure which to get both are very similar. I would most likely get them in the G2 versions I think that is a good color to lumens ratio. My thing is the mx25l3 is one led and almost puts out the same specs as the c version that has 6 leds. Is the a benifit to having the 6 over the 1. Both are very similar any input would be great.

• MT-G2 P0 LED
    • LED lumen: 2750
    • ANSI FL-14 lumen: 2375
  • MT-G2 P0
    • Center lux: 45,100 lux
    • Center spot angle: 7.5°
    • Spill light angle: 54.9°
    • Beam distance: 464 yards / 424 meters13x52
  • 6 x CREE XP-G2 S2 LED
    • LED lumen: 3500
    • ANSI FL-14 lumen: 2450
    • 6 x CREE XP-G2 S2 LED (6500K)
      • Center lux: 42,000 lux
      • Center spot angle: 7.4°
      • Spill light angle: 63.6°
      • Beam distance: 448 yards / 410 meters

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
while the MT-G2 has a pretty good tint the 6x Nichia just puts out superior quality light. and quantity as well! it's got six of 'em :D

go for the 6x nichia. i've tested both quite extensively

brawler1588

Newly Enlightened
That will definitely be considered but I'm mainly saying with the 2 in same color the g2 which would you get why go for the 6 if the 1 is close to the same. Only if the nichia and xml were off the table

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bough the 6 x Nichia version on labor day sale... the others were OK but I didn't really need any of them. I thought the Nichia would get more use with my photography than the others.

brawler1588

Newly Enlightened
Well I don't think it's obvious since no one has answered my question yet everyone is saying nichia but that wasn't my question

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
. . . get all of them.

I regard this as a problem where you can only choose 2 of 3 options:
lumens, lux, compact form.

There are almost too many different combinations and choices.

The benefit of 1xLED to 6xLED is that you can get a 1xLED to throw really far.
The 6xLED is by nature gonna be floody, the throw is coming from the high brightness.
The XML2 version you did not list has half as many lumens but twice the throw.

The Nichia has a nice tint, but has the least lumens and throw.
The MT-G2 also has a creamy white tint too.

Last edited:

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go with the the MT-G2 = about the same ANSI lumens but more lux (throw)

The MT-G2 color is about 4800-5000K so looking at trees gives you a three dimensional view also it cuts through fog/dust much better and just in general makes your eyes relaxed in the dark, tho 6500k (XP-G) looks impressively white it always bounces back glare off dust/fog/anything reflective making you squint more and trees look 1 dimensional.
I've had just about every led out there and I would have to say MT-G2 is still one of the best for output Vs throw Vs color Vs smoothness of beam - Yes XM-L/ST70/90 throw better (in smaller reflectors) but IMO throw is a different category again, you kind of get both in the MT-G2.

Nichia led's have very good color rendition but again IMO they are suited better for smaller lights as they need less power to run them and @ nearly half the lux it would just be a wall of light (all be it a nice color) - now if they put 12 Nichia leds in it that would be a different story - but I would assume 12x Nichia led's won't be as efficient as 1x MT-G.

Hope I've helped some buddy.

Last edited:

brawler1588

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys it's not more of a color problem I need help with its to go with the Mx or the Mx compact. 1 led vs 6 led. In my original post the specs for throw and angle of beam aren't very far off so what I'm trying to figure out is which version of the Mx do I get compact or not 1 led vs 6 led

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you have observed, the performance of the lumens/candela between the two lights are very similar. I have had both the MX25L3 MT-G2 and the MX25L3c with Nichia 219. I have not personally seen the MX25L3c with the XP-G2 in it. From the specs, the MX25L3c has a slightly wider spill pattern. You won't likely notice much difference between the lumens and lux between these models. There are advantages and disadvantages to single LED vs. multi-LED setups, of which neither of these designs fully exploit those differences.

Since the lumen output and candela are so similar, you should choose which form factor you like best as well as take the tint into consideration. The MX25L3 MT-G2 will give a tint that seems similar to daylight whereas the cool white XP-G2 will give a blueish tint when directly compared. Since you aren't really considering the Nichia model, that is the main performance difference between the two lights you are comparing. If you were considering the Nichia model, then the Hi CRI and 4500K CCT are factors that should not be overlooked.

mmander

Newly Enlightened
Completely agree with what Mr. Tone said above. Personally, I absolutely love the tint on the MT-G2 in the MX25L3 (which I own) and also really like the very smooth even beam that its textured reflector gives. To me, the tint of the 6x XP-G2 versions is harsh and off-putting, although I have not seen one in real life, so I am just going with the video comparisons I have seen online. Based on the specification differences in throw, which are not all that significant, I would definitely go with the single MT-G2. In isolation though, the XP-G2 version might be fine if you don't have an MT-G2 to directly compare with...

I have a Nichia version of the MX25L3C on the way, but since you are not interested in that one (the OP), I guess I won't bother posting any beam-shot comparisons here. It will clearly have a larger hotspot, less total output and not as much throw as the XP-G2 version, nor the MX25L3. I ordered it for its high CRI to use for photography or even just general "checking stuff out at night when I am hiking" where I have to admit, a high CRI light might be surprisingly useful. I have an EagleTac D25C Ti with a Nichia and it really does have wonderful colour rendering, noticeably better even than the MT-G2 lights, and those are already better than any neutral-to-cool XM-L2 or XP-G2 light I've seen to date...

One more question to answer, and easily done by checking out the specs on EagleTac's website, is if there are any runtime advantages with either the single MT-G2 or the 6x XP-G2? For me, even if the runtime on the MT-G2 were less, I would go that route. Well okay, I just had a quick look and on max output, EagleTac rates the MT-G2 light at 1.5 hours and the 6x XP-G2 light at 1.6 hours, so definitely nowhere near enough difference for me to want the XP-G2 over the much nicer tint of the MT-G2.

I also have to believe that a simpler, single LED light might have reliability advantages over a 6x LED setup, although that said, I suppose if one LED actually dies, then the 6x setup wins by having five backups! However it has been shown that MT-G2 LEDs are incredibly robust and hard to kill with overheating (apparently they can be run so hard and get so hot as to melt the solder they are mounted with, without causing them any apparent short-term harm), so for general long term reliability, my money is on the MT-G2 as well...

RoccoOnFire

Newly Enlightened
I've had my eye on that XP-G2 version for quite some time now. I like cooler tints and while the increased lumens is negligible to the eye why not go for it if it is what I like? I'll pull the trigger on it someday. Let us know what you get and how you like it! I would be very interested in your post purchase feedback. My flashlight budget for the month is already gobbled up and probably about to go in the red... :whistle: So let me live vicariously through you!