Green Tinted LSL-P & Flaking Lens??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well Ive had my LSL-P for less than a year now and Ive noticed that compared to my other LS light, the corona is noticibly green. I would expect this from a Standard, but not a Premium. Also, you can see on the lens, the coating seems to be coming off and if I run my fingernail over it you can hear a scratching flaking sound. Anyone elses lens get like this? What about their color tint for anyone else that has an LSL-P?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
almost all of the LD-Luxeons do have an off-color corona, mostly a greener one than the hotspot that is a bit blue most of the times. it'll be very hard to find the perfect low dome. that is one of the reason most of us tend to replace them with high domes. The reason is IMHO that the phosphor in the LDs is filled in the dome whereas in the HDs it just covers the die.
I personally like the beam pattern of the low domes with the NX05 as a good compromise for real use, they give a bigger area illuminated with bright light than the high domes that do have a better hotspot and more spill, albeit weaker than the low domes' gently decreasing output.
bernhard

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
MTFD-did you notice that "green tint" when you first got your LSL? Being a "Premium" I would not expect a greenish tint. I don't have a Arc-LS, but thought I'd make a comment on the LED itself.

The LD Q3J that I have has absolutely no hints of either any green OR purple hues in it. Having seen other Q rated ones at least, I would not recommend anything in the 1 watt line other than the "3" tint.

The thing about the Low Domes is that you have a higher chance of getting a miss-binned one than if you order a High Dome. Fortunately for me, at least, I got a Low Dome that is close to perfection with regards to brightness and "whiteness". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
as a rule, ld's color will vary more than that of a hd. that's not saying that there aren't "perfect" ld's, but i've personally never seen a ld that compared favorably to an average hd.

also keep in mind that lumileds is continuing to improve. 6-8months is a long time in the relatively short existance of luxeons, and they have improved a good amount since then in color, efficiency, and output.

furthermore, having a "premium" arc doesnt' mean it's 100% perfect (what is?), it just means that it is whiter, not 'necessarily' stark white.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have never seen a ld with perfect color uniformity from center to edge.due to its method of phosphor coating they are always more yellow/green at the edges.
its the nature of the beast.

DumboRAT

Enlightened
MTFD,

Do you by chance still have the plastic protective lens cover sheet still over the lens?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That kind of plastic/adhesive can degrade over time and start to peel off in bits and pieces....

I'd bet that your actual lens underneath should still be just fine, though.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Allen
aka DumboRAT

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, the plastic lens cover is off, it's actually the film/coating on the lens that seems to be coming off...

Status
Not open for further replies.