Eagle Tac MX25L3 & SX25L3 Questions

holygeez03

Enlightened
Can someone who has experience with these lights help me with some comparison regarding throw and beam-profile differences... are side-by-side beamshots out there?

I like the size of the SX25 and it is offered with a neutral XM-L emitter... but I would imagine the MX25 is far better for throw?

If I go with the MX25, it is offered with the MT-G2, which is reportedly somewhat neutral/warm? I would assume the MT-G2 out-throws the XM-L version due to the raw output?

I guess I might be deciding between the neutral XM-L version of the SX25 and the MT-G2 version of the MX25...

Last edited:

holygeez03

Enlightened
I've done some more looking around regarding these options... I'm pretty close to ordering the MX25L3 MT-G2... I'll have to see what the tint is like with my own eyes.

Can anyone make a case for the SX25L3 with the Neutral XM-L or the MT-G2 over the MX25?

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Well, the tint is supposedly a bit better on the MT-G2 than the neutral XM-L. But, I'm sure that's more of a preference thing and your mileage may vary there.

The MX25L3 with the MT-G2 and the SX25L3 with the XM-L2 will be fairly equal in terms of throw. I'm thinking off of the top of my head right now so I may be a bit off, but I believe the MX25L3 rocks 45,000? cd vs the 53,000? cd on the SX. In real life the difference will be almost negligible, but the edge will go to the SX there. Where you're going to notice the major differences in the lights are the beam size. The MX-MTG2 will light up everything in front of you at one time. Imagine a giant flood of light extending out in a beam. The SX-XML2 will be a far more defined hotspot, but it won't be anywhere near tunnel vision. Again, personal preference takes the lead there.

The two outliers are the SX-MTG2 and the MX-XML2. Both are more specialized in their beam type.

The SX-MTG2 will be a pure wall of light. It will still light up a solid distance, but it will light up everything in front of you at one time. Some of the beam shots I've seen make it look like it has almost no hotspot at all. This, to me, would make it an awesome hiking or caving light. A lot of times you don't need to see real far away, but it helps to see everything at once.

The MX-XML2 will be a dedicated throw platform. Rocking over 80,000 cd at 1200 lumens it is designed for distance. The kind of thermal handling the large MX platform provides makes a light like this very suitable for SAR or LEO type work. Unfortunately you loose being able to comfortably use it close up.

Now, having mentioned thermal handling, I think that brings me to the point that makes or breaks lights for me. I don't like lights that can't sustain a thermally stable, current controlled light out put. Pumping a couple thousand lumens out of a small host is the same as dropping the C7 Corvette engine in a used, stock 2002 Honda Civic. Yeah, you have lots of power, but he chassis just isn't capable of handling that kind of power to it's full capacity. 2700 lumens is a lot of light and a lot of energy. It takes some solid infrastructure to properly support that output in my opinion. Which is why so many lights that generate those levels of output have timed stepdowns to prevent overheating.

The other down side is how much more power it takes to run those output levels. The MX-MTG2 is rated at about 1.5 hours of runtime on turbo. The MX-XML2 is rated at 2.7 hours. Now, both lights include the same timed step down. Which to me says that Eagletac didn't feel like creating a whole new circuit for each light and just played with the drive levels and whatnot on the same circuit for both lights.

To me, the best trade off out of those lights is the SX-XML2 at 2.7 hours on turbo, compact, high output, and solid reach. But, it depends on what you will be using it for. If you are leaning more towards throw with some good spill, that would be the light I go for. I will always suggest a more stably designed, lower output before maximum power if you are going to be seriously using your light.

But, in all honesty, I would be lying if I said I didn't want to personally see the MX-MTG2 in action. Something about that huge beam throwing that much light is just addicting. :devil: .

harro

Enlightened
I've got an SX25L3 MT-G2, but not an X-ML version. I think there was a comment made that the MTG2 would out throw the xml version due to sheer power. I don't know about that, I think the xml would outclass the MT-G2 for throw without too many worries.
However, if you want a wall of light up to around 100 Meters, that will let you see just about everything, then the MT-G2 will oblige. The tint from the MT-G2 is really nice ( IMVHO ) and renders the warmer side of the spectrum very well.
If you're a night time walker, or for camping, motorhomeing etc, its great. If you're looking to spot critters and wildlife, maybe the XM-L2 in either the SX or MX is the better way to go.

:)

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you didn't know, you can see the beam profiles on Eagletac's website.

SX25L3

MX25L3

If you are after some decent throw, I don't think the SX25L3 MTG would quite cut it,
therefore I would choose the MX25L3 MTG.

Eagletac's XML Cool White is whitish while their XML Neutral White is yellowish.

Last edited:

holygeez03

Enlightened
Thanks... that's the kind of information I was looking for... after reading all of the comparisons and looking at specs and beam profiles, it seems like the MX25L3 MT-G2 might be the one for me... I wish it had a little higher lux rating, but I don't think it's worth going with the XM-L version since there is a massive reduction in overall output and the beam doesn't seem very useful for anything but very distant spotting.

Can someone provide a link for more info regarding a Vinh mod of the MX25L3 MT-G2? I think I might just like to have it de-domed...

Last edited:

Omega lux

Newly Enlightened
Hi..from what beamshots I've seen it seems the mtg2 has a (high cri) kind of tint and look to it..I'm sure seeing in person it could possibly have a different look.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
These MT-G2 in the Eagletacs are not the high CRI variants but they do have decent CRI and the tint (CCT) is around 5000K, so it's considered a neutral tint, not too cool or too warm. I had both of these lights and I can say that the tint was very similar to daylight with no clouds midday. The tint of the MT-G2 is also much more consistent vs. XM-L2 and XP-G2 throughout the beam portions, at least in my experience.