Olight SR52 question

RCLumens

Enlightened
Greetings,

Checking with other SR52 owners on the tail end of the light - Supposedly you can use less than three batteries and I found that with one battery it's VERY hard to turn because of the tail design. When doing this, I sliced open an AW battery that wound up shorting (as I was turning to tighten) Something didn't feel right, so I unscrewed, saw smoke, and quickly flung the battery near my fire pit. (No fire burning, just safe zone I was thinking..)

It all happened quickly and no damage was done to the light. (Now running two AW's in the successfully and need to order three more so I have a matched set.

I'm curious to learn if anyone else has been experiencing a hard to tighten/stiff SR 52 tail cap? It seems to me like the spring in the rear of the tail cap that actually is supposed to loosely spin - doesn't spin loosely at all! Is this my light or are all acting this way?

Many thanks,
RC

kj2

Flashaholic
Mine spins quite freely. Never had to really turn hard/press to get it on. On the other hand, the tailcap on the SR Mini doesn't spin that easy and needs quite some force. Do see lube inside the tailcap so should be ok. But after reading your problem, I'll be even more carefully.

Danielsan

Enlightened
Greetings,

Checking with other SR52 owners on the tail end of the light - Supposedly you can use less than three batteries and I found that with one battery it's VERY hard to turn because of the tail design. When doing this, I sliced open an AW battery that wound up shorting (as I was turning to tighten) Something didn't feel right, so I unscrewed, saw smoke, and quickly flung the battery near my fire pit. (No fire burning, just safe zone I was thinking..)

It all happened quickly and no damage was done to the light. (Now running two AW's in the successfully and need to order three more so I have a matched set.

I'm curious to learn if anyone else has been experiencing a hard to tighten/stiff SR 52 tail cap? It seems to me like the spring in the rear of the tail cap that actually is supposed to loosely spin - doesn't spin loosely at all! Is this my light or are all acting this way?

Many thanks,
RC

My tailcap is very stiff, you cant spin it with one finger. I have the version with pins for flat top cells

ruke

Enlightened
I have the older version, but even with 3 batteries in there, I try to push down on tailcap with the palm of my hand before tightening.. definitely not with just 1 finger

RCLumens

Enlightened
Great feedback from everyone! I'm thinking of exchanging it for another.. It definitely does NOT spin with one finger... This could be dangerous for anyone trying to put in one battery because it cuts into the batter when you try to spin it. This is the same thing as trying tom spin with one finger as opposed to two which has more leverage. Also, I don't see the raised tips towards the head of the flashlight - for flat top cells.. Could I have an earlier version of this light? Also, is there an easy fix, or do I really need to send this back? Also, should we let Olight in on this? They're a great company which has always been about safety, so guessing they'd want to know.

Thank you all!
RC

RCLumens

Enlightened
@Danielsan - Stiffer works if all batteries are loaded in... Part of the reason I got the SR52 (a big reason) is for the battery arrangement capabilities and for safety...IE if one 18650 happens to drain faster, or if I need to run off of two or even one... If the carousel is stiff and you decide to run on one battery, you run the risk of damaging the battery as I did because there's not enough leverage to turn the carousel in "smooth way". Same as trying to spin with one finger as opposed to two..

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had mine for 2 weeks now use it every night. No problems with the tailcap whatsoever. Spins nice and freely no matter how many batteries are in it. Am of course careful to line up the plastic legs on the underside of the cap with where they are supposed to go first

RCLumens

Enlightened
Thanks for the info CelticCross74 - that's how I'm guessing it should work... Not the case in mine and sounds like a few others. Cheers! RC

Had mine for 2 weeks now use it every night. No problems with the tailcap whatsoever. Spins nice and freely no matter how many batteries are in it. Am of course careful to line up the plastic legs on the underside of the cap with where they are supposed to go first