• Sufficient output - on par, if not better, than most AA (non-Zebra) lights
  • Good anodizing, lighter, flat finish
  • Crisp electronic switch
  • Not quite centered LED, but doesn't seem to disrupt beam
  • Rock solid, flush pocket clip
  • No flickering of any kind

zebralight-sc52d.jpg

Quick Comparisons
If you're familiar with the Zebralight's SC62d, then you know what to expect from this, the SC52d. It's got the same incredible tint from the Philips LUXEON T, virtually indistinguishable to my eyes from its bigger brother. Scrolling through the modes in tandem shows how similar the brightness levels are. If compact size (and/or possibly battery versatility) is more of a priority than continuous runtime, then this is the light for you versus the SC62d.

Having said that, it almost seems unfair to compare an 18650 light to an AA light. So to me, the next logical competition would be the SC52w. And in that instance, it's a battle of tint versus lumens. Choose your vice.

zebralight-sc52d-01.jpg

Personal Notes
On all my Zebralights, I tend to leave the high setting in H2. For this light, that's 126 lumens. That's plenty for most of my tasks, and leaves the H1 for "needed" use, or showing off (with a 14500 of course). I was thinking about running an Eneloop to get that 205 lumen rating without always having to burn through the 60 second 300 lumen burst that li-ion provides. But the visual difference in 205 vs. 126 wasn't drastic enough for me, so 14500s for the win.

I look forward to see how much this one gets added to my EDC rotation...

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
How come the SC52d looks brighter than the SC62d in the screenshot? When you took that pic was your SC52d on H1, while all your other zebras were on H2?

markr6

Flashaholic
Looks good! And your SC52w looks like a great tint, unless it's the camera playing tricks.

jak

Enlightened
How come the SC52d looks brighter than the SC62d in the screenshot? When you took that pic was your SC52d on H1, while all your other zebras were on H2?
Good question. It wasn't on high. I suspect it was because I was holding the piece of paper the beams were reflecting off of, and it was probably curved in such a way that it caught more of the hotspot. I'll try to replace that photo if I get time later.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks good! This will be a fine AA, great EDC, backup, or light to pack when space is tight.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm strongly considering getting this light. Lately, I have come to appreciate high CRI emitters more. And this light doesn't really give up too much brightness in the name of high CRI compared to the standard SC52 (except on H1 with a 14500). But I'm kind of divided between this light and the SC62d (which is a little brighter and runs ALOT longer, but is larger and less versatile with batteries). I think I will probably wait on this one until it becomes available at Illumination Supply.

Last edited:

Martin L

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the pics jak. I want mine in my hand now!!! :eek:. Can´t wait anymore... You did recieve your 52d pretty fast.. I guess I will have to wait around 2 weeks. It use to take around 3 weeks from China to Sweden. I think it will run fine on a 14500 and it´s the way to go - we´ll see :thumbsup:

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm strongly considering getting this light. Lately, I have come to appreciate high CRI emitters more. And this light doesn't really give up too much brightness in the name of high CRI compared to the standard SC52 (except on H1 with a 14500). But I'm kind of divided between this light and the SC62d (which is a little brighter and runs ALOT longer, but is larger and less versatile with batteries). I think I will probably wait on this one until it becomes available at Illumination Supply.

I know the $$$ can add up, but try and get both!

Having both the SC52w and SC62w, I figured one would get used 95% of the time. While that was true for a while, I now find myself using them both equally for different tasks.

The nice thing about the Luxeon emitter is you'll probably be guaranteed a nice matching "set" of tints, unlike the XM-L versions.

jak

Enlightened
The more time I spend with these lights, the less I feel like the size difference matters. The 62 is about an inch longer than the 52 -and the 52 is already a very short light. If I were to assign a (subjective & arbitrary) percentage value of how much more convenient one size is over the other, I'd say the 52 is 3% more convenient. (Really, how do you measure the usability difference between the two?)

I eliminate size and brightness differences among these two units. In light of that, ask yourself this: Would you rather have battery options or supreme runtime?

Thanks for the pics jak. I want mine in my hand now!!! :eek:. Can´t wait anymore... You did recieve your 52d pretty fast.. I guess I will have to wait around 2 weeks. It use to take around 3 weeks from China to Sweden. I think it will run fine on a 14500 and it´s the way to go - we´ll see :thumbsup:
Estimated shipping date was Sept. 5, received mine on Sept. 9. However, I live within 30 kilometers of Zebralight's US headquarters, So I'm usually among the first to get pre-orders.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Not quite centered LED.."

Having one SC62d with a centered LED and another SC62d with an off centered LED, I have to say that the off centered one is just fine. The hotspot and corona are the same intensity on the off center light while the centered one's hotspot is a little less bright than the corona. Frankly, that is occasionally distracting.

But I'll tell you; That SC52d sounds NICE.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really, how do you measure the usability difference between the two?
One thing I've found myself doing with the SC52w that I don't do with my other lights, is holding it in my teeth while doing something up close, sort of a make shift headlamp. It's just enough lighter, compared to the SC62w, that I can get away with it.

Martin L

Newly Enlightened
I have also been thinking about that... put the light in the mouth when I need both hands... I have more or less found myself doing this every day. You know, taking out the trash, open the garage door with the key when holding something else in the other hand. It´s allways something in my hand more than the light it self :). No problem with my tiny i3S, but I hope the SC52d will be ok as well regarding this practicality. Using my larger SWM D40A like this is a true teeth killer and is not something to recomend :sssh:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to do that with my Olight S10 until I got an actual headlight. You'll find that a real headlight is so much more comfortable than holding a light in your teeth.

jak

Enlightened
One thing I've found myself doing with the SC52w that I don't do with my other lights, is holding it in my teeth while doing something up close, sort of a make shift headlamp. It's just enough lighter, compared to the SC62w, that I can get away with it.
Haha, I did find myself doing this with a 62 once. Not cool. But yeah, I'd say that's a valid point for the size difference. Now, how can we quantify that benefit? (3%?)

whtwalker

Newly Enlightened
I'm also torn between the sc52d and the sc62d/w. I already have the sc52w, but the tint on the 52d looks good. I also heard that the sc62d or w get hot fast. Have any one with the 62d or w experience the quick heating?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also torn between the sc52d and the sc62d/w. I already have the sc52w, but the tint on the 52d looks good. I also heard that the sc62d or w get hot fast. Have any one with the 62d or w experience the quick heating?

I use a NiteIze headstrap, so it is not often that I am holding it my hand, therefore, no heat transfer by hand conductance. The SC62d does not get hot anything like the SC62w, which has a high performing XML2 LED. When left on the highest setting, the SC62d will get pretty warm. For extended use I put it on the second highest setting but I'm sure there are a bunch of folks who use the highest setting unrestricted, especially if they are holding it in their hand.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to do that with my Olight S10 until I got an actual headlight. You'll find that a real headlight is so much more comfortable than holding a light in your teeth.

I have actual headlamps. But I often find myself using my SC52w and SC62w in my mouth because of the simple fact that I like handheld flashlights better than headlamps. Headlamps are better if you are using the light for something that requires for your hands to be free the entire time. But if not, I just prefer to have a light in my hand rather than on my head. Not only is it more comfortable. But the glare from a headlamp just annoys me. Even if I have a handheld light in my mouth, it has ALOT less glare than a headlamp (probably because it is farther away from my eyes).

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, and if I know I'm going to be doing something that requires both hands free, I'll certainly opt for a headlamp, but, for all those times when I'm out and about and don't happen to have a headlamp in my pocket, out comes the SC52w.

It's one use I hadn't really anticipated as being so handy, but has quickly become almost indispensable. Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to modify the end cap to make it a bit more comfortable. My tire inner tubes are a bit to large, possibly some heat shrink material.