New Foursevens Preon colour up for pre-order!

nxtreme

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys. I'm a long-time lurker, but new to the forums as far as posting goes. I'm a fan of Foursevens lights, having a Mini-ML, Mini-M2A, and an Atom AL, as well as having purchased a P1 and M2A for family. I've been hoping to grow my collection with a Preon P2, and when I got an email from Foursevens today, I figured it was time! They've just released a Toxic Green colour in the Preon series, having both the P1 and P2 in the new green, and I wanted to let you guys know!

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy nxtreme, and welcome to finally posting on CPF!
I'm not sure that toxic green is MY color of choice, but I'll bet you don't lose it. Be sure and hose off after every use :).

Danielsan

Enlightened
looks definately different but the modes are not mines. 2 Lumens is to bright in the low mode and 20 lumen is not bright enough for medium. The light has 192 Lumen on high which is ok but i miss a 100 lumen mode for longer runtimes.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have preferred OD or grey, but I'm curious to see owner's pics.

nxtreme

Newly Enlightened
Howdy nxtreme, and welcome to finally posting on CPF!
I'm not sure that toxic green is MY color of choice, but I'll bet you don't lose it. Be sure and hose off after every use :).
Thanks for the welcome, Derek Dean! Given my current lights I wouldn't mind the green myself, but yes, we all have different tastes. :D

looks definately different but the modes are not mines. 2 Lumens is to bright in the low mode and 20 lumen is not bright enough for medium. The light has 192 Lumen on high which is ok but i miss a 100 lumen mode for longer runtimes.
What modes would you prefer? I've only extensively used the modes on the Mini-ML and M2A, so I don't have much experience with different modes. I can say that for hiking and camping use, I quite like all the modes except for the low, which is ~4 lumens on the Minis and too bright if you are just trying to crawl out of a tarp shelter in the middle of the night without waking anyone else up. The medium is just about right for night hiking, with the occasional flick up to high for checking the path ahead, checking for reflecting animal eyes behind, or cutting through dense blizzards at night (which I've been in :)). The 100 lumen mode you mention, was that on an old version of the Preon?

I am tempted to swap out the emitter for a Nichia High CRI LED, as show here [http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...emitter-swap-HOWTO-with-results-and-beamshots], I am starting to see the difference between "quantity of light" and "quality of light." Has anyone else done this swap, and if so, what recommendations could you give me? I repair electronics for the fun of it, and have a pretty good grasp of soldering both PTH and smaller pin-count SMD components. Are the newer Preon emitter "pills" just as solidly glued in as the old ones? If so, am I better off leaving such a mod to the pros?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Agreed about 100 lumens. The absence of a decent medium is one of my pet peeves with the Preon. 22 lumens is just too low. And 192 lumens (or 160 with my Nichia Preon) has too short of a battery life. 100 lumens would give a better compromise between brightness and runtime.

Danielsan

Enlightened
Yes i mean a real firefly mode. I have a lumintop tool AAA light for example in my collection and i think its lowest mode is 1.5 lumen and that is definately to bright when your eyes have adopted to the darkness. I think 2 lumen is not really a firefly mode. Im not sure if 20 lumen is a good medium mode, i would say at least 70 Lumen. But i guess its a hard decision for a company to choose the modes if you have only 3 available.

N_N_R

Enlightened
That's so cool... but I'm disappointed with my P2 these days. For two days already it started flickering when ... off. That is, the light's switched off, I move it, let's say from horizontal to vertical position or something, it goes on and off and flickers. wtf.

nxtreme

Newly Enlightened
That's so cool... but I'm disappointed with my P2 these days. For two days already it started flickering when ... off. That is, the light's switched off, I move it, let's say from horizontal to vertical position or something, it goes on and off and flickers. wtf.
Have you already checked and cleaned any areas of contact, like the + contact on the emitter head? I've found that those get a little dirty over time, and wiping them off does wonders in fixing flickering. If it's an actual problem with the light, contact Foursevens, they have a pretty good warranty on their lights.

N_N_R

Enlightened
Yeah, I cleaned it. It kept doing it, though. With two sets of batteries. Now with the third set, it doesn't flicker. I don't get it. I was just about to turn it into a twisty light because... it would turn on and the switch wouldn't turn it off. So I could turn it off only by unscrewing the head a bit.

Divisi0n

Newly Enlightened
Got my Toxic Green Preon 2 coming this Saturday, cant wait! I had to jump on it when I saw the color. It'll be my pocket light for at work

nxtreme

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I cleaned it. It kept doing it, though. With two sets of batteries. Now with the third set, it doesn't flicker. I don't get it. I was just about to turn it into a twisty light because... it would turn on and the switch wouldn't turn it off. So I could turn it off only by unscrewing the head a bit.
It sounds almost like a faulty switch to me. Again, contact Foursevens, they will probably replace the switch for you if they determine that is what is causing problems.

I'll repeat my previous question, has anybody done an LED swap on a fairly new Preon 2? I want to have a Preon 2 with a Nichia 219 Hi-CRI LED, but if nothing has changed in the manufacturing process to make them easier to disassemble, I don't want to damage a light.

Danielsan

Enlightened
i couldnt resist and bought one, just cause of the wicked color in zombie green

2q2msky.jpg