Fenix HL10 question

jn2

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a Fenix HL10 for shop related tasks where I do not have adequate light, and I am very impressed. The headlamp is the first shall we say quality flashlight or headlamp I have bought. The optics are terrific. Up until now, I have used dollar store led flashlights, but I had come to appreciate the potential of better lights from casual reading of this forum.

In any event, the manual gives estimated battery life for Ni-MH and alkaline, but it makes no mention of cheaper zinc carbon batteries. Now I know ZC batteries will have much shorter life, but is there any other reason why one should not use them? I tried one as I have some on hand, and it presented no issues, but I am curious why the manual would not make specific mention.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HL10 is a great mini headlamp. I have a couple.

Zinc Carbon cells (amongst other differences) have a lower energy density, and cannot sustain the same power output that alkaline cells can. I have not tried it, but suspect the maximum output of the HL10 might not be available using ZC.

Other than that (and the fact you will be changing it out far more often) I cannot really see why you shouldn't use them if you want to.

I suspect Fenix don't consider them suitable due to being weak, so don't bother to mention them at all.

ZC are fine for very low drain devices like remote controls and clocks, but not suited to higher drain devices. If it works for you, then go for it.

jn2

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. I have ZC battery in it now and will leave it in just to see how much mileage I get.