Reflectors vs Optics

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi cpfers,

I realise the current Surefire KLx series have metal reflectors in them. What make these superior than clear optics? Which do you prefer? How efficient is metal reflectors compared to optics? I have these questions floating up my head for a long time... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Vince.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The metal reflector gathers the product light output, concentrates it, and really throws it out there. The deeper reflector seems to do a better job. I just received a custom-built LED head. It uses a modified reflector from an incandescent flashlight that is deeper than that found on the Surefire L4. Whereas the L4 seems to be flood-like, the custom LED head now outdoes the once defacto incandescent standard: the Surefire P60 Lamp Assembly.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming the LED gave off the same amount of lumens as an incan bulb, the throw should be the same in the same reflector right?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
MTFD17,

That is not necessarily true and typically NOT true. The element of an Incan essentially emits light in 360 degrees. Reflectors designed for Incans will have the element placed in the focal point of the parabolic reflector and much of the rear directed light contacts the reflector and exits in a collimated beam. When you place a LED in the focal point of the same reflector, since the LED has a 180 degree radiation pattern, the rearward portion of the reflector is not used. Only the light coming out, off axis, and contacting the reflector is collimated. A greater percentage of the overall luminous output of the incan is redirected by the reflector. There are other factors to consider such as the relative "volume" of the point source of light with the LED compared to the element in the incan.

The LED will be better controlled with the use of properly and specifically designed optics which are not a viable solution for an incan. Another approach that Pelican is using is the rear facing LED and reflector combination. There is nothing wrong with using a common parabolic reflector with a LED and if both a center reflected spot and direct spill flood beam are desired, it's the way to go.

You can only re direct photons by either having them contact a reflective surface or have them enter into an optic where their trajectory is altered due to refraction as well as internal reflection. Due to the lack of intense IR which would melt most plastic optics, the optics will be used very effectively with the LED's. Consider that all of the Luxeons are managing the photons initially with optics anyway. We have batwing, lambertian and side emitting optics as part of the primary LED package and these dictate the initial radiation pattern of the photons. As the technology matures, I would not be surprised to see more optic designs at both primary and secondary levels used to manage LED based beams of light in ways never available to the hot wires.

EDIT: as a modder and simple fabricator, like most of the CPF members, I can only use the materials and components I can get a hold of or make myself. Optics and reflectors are beyond most of our abilities and understanding. As time goes on, I think we will see a growing gap in function and viability between lights made by individuals and companies limited in optic design and components and those companies who can use the rules of physics and create their own solutions for photon management. No concern if the fat lady has sung yet; hell she hasn't even arrived! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif