Feeling of guilt over owning too many flashlight?

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know, I know. It sounds like a silly concept, but I am actually very serious and am looking for other people's input on my feelings.

Right now I own about 20-30 flashlights plus some spares parts and stuff. Of that about 1/2 of the lights are nice customs and the other 1/2 are more off the shelf lights of varying quality levels.
At one time I actually had 100+ lights and decided to trim it down.

The problem that I experience is that whether I own 20 or 100 lights I don't feel like I need this many lights and that brings on a feeling of guilt over their ownership and a compulsion that makes me feel like I should sell some. But then trying to figure out which ones to sell brings on a feeling of deep emotional attachment to the lights and makes it hard to even sell one. So of course this just ends me up in a swirling circle. I KNOW, messed up, right?

I see some of the collectors here like AWTYD, ChipWillis and easilyled who have amazing collections and wondrous older Ti customs and special lights from way back. I don't fell like I can collect to this level even though I know I'd like to be able to just collect and appreciate some lights.

There is no financial need to sell the lights, nor do I have a compulsion to buy that puts me in any sort of debt. I really feel that these feelings extend to most hobbies and other areas of my life as well.

To make light of myself - I should probably be telling this to a shrink rather than opening up here, but I am really curious if I am the only one or others sometimes feel this way?

ven

Flashaholic
Would not say guilty as its not something i feel bad or regret etc but at times a little silly :laughing: I do wonder how much use i would get out of 1 or 2 lights though,wow proper get monies worth and some. I at times do think why i have a lot,but i guess its part of the interest and do need them(just not as many) for work(well imo everyone needs a flashlight or 2 no matter what as one of the most useful tools ever).

But i see a new light by XXXXXXX and think wow,like that ,like the flood or throw or led/tint/UI etc etc and must get one:devil:

Throw vinh into the mix and i am stuffed :laughing:

Not got to custom Ti lights yet,i want to though and can justify 1 or 2 of those:)

I have gifted a good few lights over the years,maybe 20 or so to family/friends/work colleges so i do loose some of the numbers.
Selling!!!! well yes ,i have thought of selling the odd one more expensive with lack of use.............makes perfect sense doesn't it? But then i have that voice saying "could come in handy,you will regret it,cost you a lot of money,why buy it in the first place.................etc etc :laughing: So i justify it to myself and then make myself use it a little.

CPF certainly has a lot to answer for :laughing: love it:)

Main thing is no regrets,if you have regrets on spending too much or buying too many then you have lost your way................. enjoy them no matter how many or lack of to me is the important part , everyone needs a few lights in their life.

I try other than work,camping breaks etc to make an effort using the lights and get out in the dark,country parks(no dog to walk) ,so it is harder to get out over having to with a dog for example. So i take callum :laughing: not on a lead though (lot easier come winter due to darker evenings) and use our lights for fun:)

Having always had flashlights,coming to CPF made me aware of so many options,brands,tints etc so it has certainly stoked the inner fire and made me be a little over compulsive at times regarding buying more and more lights.

Is true with the lumens at 1st,i have gone through that stage(still will buy and use though) from throwers and flooders to mixes of both(most useful for my general uses tbh)but looked into smaller lights,experimented with different tints,leds thanks to CPF.

So i would say pretty normal tbh,sure most will think they have too many or maybe even spent too much on that rare 1 of a XX made light,then shelve it for years as an ornament. But as long as your happy and others around you, then thats all what matters:) After all,when its dark i need a light to see my way:whistle:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be glad your hobby is not gambling.

If the money thing is totally not an issue, think about how you can help friends and family should an emergency situation arise by loaning/giving a flashlight.

You have supported craftsmen of the highest caliber.

Give yourself a budget or a cap on spending if you think you will feel better. 20 flashlights or so, sounds good.

I personally would like to thank you for helping to advance the flashlight industry and help fund innovations by purchasing flashlights.

It is a way to socialize in a positive way. Do you go to bars to get drunk OR to have interesting times with friends? Do you like to meet new people?

Unlike many other hobbies, your assets have practical utility. Pride of ownership feels good. Don't feel guilty.

You have contributed to the discussion here with your experience. You are helping us learn.

Instead of paying a shrink, consider that money that would have gone to him/her as money saved, by having purchased a tangible asset that you receive a social dividend from.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
In answer to one of your questions, yes I have made a good amount of online friends through CPF with whom I regularly email and talk. I've even found a few guys at work with whom I share a common hobby (more of a knives/lights combo than just lights) and it's been nice to have someone to show-off and talk about lights with.

It's been also a lot of fun to do the small project offerings I've put together for CPF over the past years and offer the mod work I've been able to. Hopefully I'll be able to get back into modding lights again soon and that will fill a little bit of a void.

I think finding things to do wish my light which extends beyond just using them around the house would be good. Taking walks outside or in the woods at night, etc.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the root of your regret is that you need the money, pick 3-4 that mean a lot to you (or that you would actually use consistently) and sell the rest.

If you just feel silly, well, pack them in a box and put them in a closet or in a cabinet. Then you won't have to be reminded of your silliness, but will always have a collection there with you in case you need the lights, or want to play with them :thumbsup:

markr6

Flashaholic
Always! Makes me nervous/anxious/??? having more than I need. Even if it's only about a dozen, I really only NEED 2. I will probably see a few in the near future.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like you have all those excellent flashlights but not utilizing them as much as you should, and that makes you feel uneasy.

Nope, not that. I use them everyday. I'll EDC a $50 or a $2500 flashlight without any concern. It's not a guilt over user them, it's a guilt over owning them - I know it's f'ed up. I blame my mother for being a cheap B while i was growing up!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope you can resolve your inner conflict. Sounds like you have some nice lumen tools. If the $2500 light is enjoyable to have, keep it. You've already spent the money.

Hopefully your mother has other attributes you appreciate, in addition to the fact that she is half of the reason you're here. Not sure blaming her is helpful, regardless of her faults. Maybe you will decide on some action, or accept what you have.

Perhaps someone else has something to say.

nbp

Flashaholic
I feel the exact same way Sean.

I recently went through and trimmed down a few that weren't getting much use and bought one or two new ones that I thought could be better used. But I still have 20-25 at any given time. I have recently been feeling bad too, like I really only need about 5 flashlights, and the rest are just overkill, especially since they are all nice USA made or Customs. But the ones I have I really do like and have selected carefully.

Is it wrong? I don't think so, but I still feel guilty too sometimes like yourself.

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting post, Sean. This one definitely hit the spot.

I have gone through quite a few lights myself, from the budget lights all the way up to full on customs. I've tried to find a certain criteria to follow along, and it always changes, whether it has to be titanium, has to have trits, has to be a certain battery type, etc.

Just like you I have no qualms about EDCing any light regardless of value, as long as it gets used. To me it's the equivalent of wearing a nice watch, they do the same thing a cheaper alternative can do, but the extra quality/exclusivity makes it that much more special.

I finally manged to trim my lights down to just 5-6 and my EDC rotates between only 3 lights now. I have settled down on owning just ONE light in the battery configurations I like.

CR123/16340: Spy 007
AA/14500: Custom stainless download AA Llight
AAA/10440: LF2XT en route :wave:
10180: DQG Spy Ti, when I have absolutely no room to carry anything bigger
18650: Still trying to find "the one"....working on it

The guilt of having lights just sitting there and not being used is usually what drives me to sell them off, OR on the rare occasion there's something else that I want to change to

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Interesting question, thanx.

About the money thing, I would basically analyze it like this. I have a little over 200 lights, of which about 50 are limited editions or customs, so I certainly don't feel light deprived. And next to a few of the more famous mega collections here, my collection is modest by comparison. Still, I sometimes feel a little guilty about owning so many lights, but on the other hand, if I needed the money I could always sell them.

Partly it's that I'm reluctant to carry a light worth more than a few hundred dollars because if I do something stupid like drop it on concrete and ding it I sorta feel like I just put my elbow through a Rembrandt or Leonardo at the museum. Doh!!! So my more expensive lights are destined to be shelf queens, which is probably where the other part of the guilt comes in, since the practical side of me says that money could be put to use earning more money in some kind of investment.

On the other hand, stocks and bonds are riskier than they were in past decades so what the hell, high end custom lights might not be such a bad place after all to park some money. (Stranger things have happened. Back in the 80s the Argentinian central bank and others bought warehouses full of Scotch whiskey as a currency hedge, which held its value better against the dollar than their currency did). Unlike a stock, which could become worthless, a light can never be totally worthless since you can always use it as a flashlight, so it will always have some utility, not to mention the high end lights are often beautiful and have aesthetic value as well.

And last but not least, if a stock or bond becomes worthless, the certificates aren't even worth much as toilet paper because they're typically printed on parchment like paper which would be pretty hard on your butt. ;-(

So as a complicated rationalization I figure that's as good as any. :)

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no idea why you want to feel guilty about your hobby as long as you do not go into to much debt if any and other bills are paid it is happy days.I share my hobby funds with collecting diecast cars and trucks,pens and the most expensive hobby watches.

I personally do regret wasting so much money on torches to be perfectly honest as i can pick up something perfectly adequate up from a brick and mortar store these days without being stitched up big style by hobby on line prices.

I really cannot understand the need for poser modes like different format strobes,they are of no use to me or to many others either.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I agree. I don't feel too guilty as the hobby gives me a lot of pleasure which is hard to put a monetary value on.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate the different viewpoints and it helps give different perspective on ownership.

mcnair55 - I don't know if you mistyped, but I don't want to feel guilty about my hobby. But before flashlights I went through a 5 years RC car hobby stage. At least with flashlights you can get nearly all their value back upon sale. RC cars is a bleed me dry hobby with practically no resale value.

I realize that I can always sell my lights if I need the money - and that is a big plus - but there are definite times of year when even the flashlight market is soft. Around Christmas time always seems to be a bit slow (that makes sense).

Re-sale factor also plays a lot into the lights I buy. I may want to have a collection of every McGizmo out there, but I realize that there are some that will not re-sell as well or as quickly as others and would take pause on owning them. This stems from having bought some custom lights at price X only to find two years later the demand for this light had softened and is only worth 2/3X. That plays heavily into lights I buy as I want to know I can get at least 90% or their value upon resale.

I'm going to try and enjoy the lights I have for now - maybe I'll part with a few that don't get much use - thanks all!

Good lord man! Get over your mommy issues and learn to enjoy the things you're able to afford. You're obviously doing well financially,, not spending money you need for other things. Perhaps your guilt would be eased by donating to a worthwhile charity.

Solomon asked God for wisdom. God gave him wisdom and riches. My point, if you make an honest living, enjoy it.

~ Chance

archimedes

Flashaholic
Leaving aside deeper philosophical issues, it might be worth considering that you are not "merely" collecting items here ... and you are not even "just" using these as the lighting tools they are meant to be ... but you are really one of the premier modders here on this forum.

Not that any of the regulars around here need any proof of this, but your last run of programmable "Tri" engines sold out in, what, one minute ? Maybe less, since the time stamps don't include seconds ? :)

And, here's a classic recent post, sharing your skill and knowledge with all ...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...stems-EDC-18&p=4488338&viewfull=1#post4488338

When I read that post ... just ... wow :ohgeez:

( EDIT - I just re-read that post, and your final line there... "actually pretty simple" ... lol )

Hobbies should be fun, enjoy. And thank you, SOYCD :thumbsup:

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate the different viewpoints and it helps give different perspective on ownership.

mcnair55 - I don't know if you mistyped, but I don't want to feel guilty about my hobby. But before flashlights I went through a 5 years RC car hobby stage. At least with flashlights you can get nearly all their value back upon sale. RC cars is a bleed me dry hobby with practically no resale value.

I realize that I can always sell my lights if I need the money - and that is a big plus - but there are definite times of year when even the flashlight market is soft. Around Christmas time always seems to be a bit slow (that makes sense).

Re-sale factor also plays a lot into the lights I buy. I may want to have a collection of every McGizmo out there, but I realize that there are some that will not re-sell as well or as quickly as others and would take pause on owning them. This stems from having bought some custom lights at price X only to find two years later the demand for this light had softened and is only worth 2/3X. That plays heavily into lights I buy as I want to know I can get at least 90% or their value upon resale.

I'm going to try and enjoy the lights I have for now - maybe I'll part with a few that don't get much use - thanks all!

I have a few R/C cars and i can get good money for the newly resurged interest in the older Tamiya stuff.

If it helps, just keep buying quality lights and chalk it up as an investment! :twothumbs

I wager you have no investment at all in LED lights and most will be sold at a loss.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
. . . I wager you have no investment at all in LED lights . . .

You lose that wager. I have quite a bit invested in flashlights, LED and otherwise.

. . . and most will be sold at a loss.

Assuming they are sold that is a possibility although I do my best purchase when the price is right. As with any collectible, such as with the R/C cars you mentioned, it all depends upon the market at the time you buy or sell. However, the benefit of collecting quality and/or desirable items is that they should always have some tangible value, even when the market tanks.

The point of my earlier post was to point out that when it comes to a hobby it's nice knowing you can get at least some return on your investment, even if not a net profit, if you chose to do so.