Thrunite Neutron 2A..A great concept that just does not work

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
A while back I purchased two lights by a company named Thrunite. They were the Archer 1A and 2A. I was familiar with Thrunite by name, but had never owned any of their lights. As it turned out, the Archers were one of the best values for my money that I have ever spent on lights! They have been solid and dependable. Then I saw the Neutron 2A advertised, and the idea of a 1A light that would put out 480 lumens, even for a short period of time, intriguing. Even the 230 lumens on high was what I was looking for. When I saw that the light came with an AA extender to use 2AA's, and that configuration put out 800 lumens on turbo! If only it all worked. :scowl: I am now on my third one, and none of them work properly. Here is a list of what all of them have done:

1. They will work normally when first turned on after the battery is first inserted.
2. After a while they flash when the power button is hit, but the light will not turn on. Sometimes the light will not turn on without a flash.
3. The light will not go into turbo mode
4. Turns on, but only low and medium work
5. Turns on, but does not ramp through the three brightness levels when the button is pressed.
6. Will sometimes start to work normally for a while if the battery is removed and reinserted

I have tried multiple batteries (Energizer lithium's, Duracell 2400 mah NIMH, Powerex 2700 mah NIMH, NIMZ, and even lowly alkalines. Yesterday I went to Radio Shack and bought some contact cleaner and lubricant, which was supposed to be their brand of Deoxit. It contains Deoxit, but has other ingredients. The light worked after I initially cleaned it, but then it started malfunctioning like before.

I guess I will just return the other two and look for another light like this one. I would like a single AA light that puts out more than 200 lumens (OTF), and would also like the option to extend it to use 2AA's. The only one I have seen is the Olight T15, but I have another Olight and it is not as robust as I would like. Any recommendations out there or even a solution to the Neutron issue before I ship them back!?

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the third thread you have posted in about having a problem with the light.
I don't think there was a need to start yet another thread.

1 bad light is a fluke.
2 bad lights in a row would merit you might be doing something wrong.
3 bad lights in a row, I think one of your batteries has shorted out what was properly working lights.
You asked for recommendations, return it and be done.

I have both the Neutron 2C and Neutron 2A and they work perfectly.

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the third thread you have posted in about having a problem with the light.
I don't think there was a need to start yet another thread.

1 bad light is a fluke.
2 bad lights in a row would merit you might be doing something wrong.
3 bad lights in a row, I think one of your batteries has shorted out what was properly working lights.
You asked for recommendations, return it and be done.

I have both the Neutron 2C and Neutron 2A and they work perfectly.

That is correct. I started a separate thread because the others were reviews (Which is now become a discussion on using the light with 14500's) or just another subject about the light. Nobody seemed to complain about all of the posts about the Sipik 68 so I figured why not start a fresh thread! :ironic: As far as shorting out a battery and that has damaged the lights, that is just plain silly. Sorry, but how can the batteries be shorted out when they work in every other light I have put them in? I have read the instructions, what little there is (This is a flashlight, not a sophisticated piece of electronics) and I am not doing anything wrong. I own over 100 lights and the user interface is not that different from some of the others. Just because you own one and have not had trouble with it, does not mean somebody else will have one with no issues. Yours is but one light. I got them all from Amazon, shipped from the Thrunite store, so maybe they have a bad batch of them. And yes, I did ask for recommendations, but have not received any. Apparently this is not a popular light or brand, and that is fine. I will be returning them since that is apparently my last course of action and I have exhausted all others. There is probably nothing else I can do, but thought I would post the question so maybe somebody else could give me another solution since I really like the feel and design of the Neutron 2A.

Last edited:

armstrg3

Newly Enlightened
I also experienced the exact same issue with the thrunte neutron 2a. Not a battery issue or user issue. Who cares if you posted more than once.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also experienced the exact same issue with the thrunte neutron 2a. Not a battery issue or user issue. Who cares if you posted more than once.

Thanks armstrg3. Sorry to hear you are having or had problems. Did you ever get your problem resolved, or just move on to another light?

avion

Newly Enlightened
A while back I purchased two lights by a company named Thrunite. They were the Archer 1A and 2A. I was familiar with Thrunite by name, but had never owned any of their lights. As it turned out, the Archers were one of the best values for my money that I have ever spent on lights! They have been solid and dependable. Then I saw the Neutron 2A advertised, and the idea of a 1A light that would put out 480 lumens, even for a short period of time, intriguing. Even the 230 lumens on high was what I was looking for. When I saw that the light came with an AA extender to use 2AA's, and that configuration put out 800 lumens on turbo! If only it all worked. :scowl: I am now on my third one, and none of them work properly. Here is a list of what all of them have done:

1. They will work normally when first turned on after the battery is first inserted.
2. After a while they flash when the power button is hit, but the light will not turn on. Sometimes the light will not turn on without a flash.
3. The light will not go into turbo mode
4. Turns on, but only low and medium work
5. Turns on, but does not ramp through the three brightness levels when the button is pressed.
6. Will sometimes start to work normally for a while if the battery is removed and reinserted

I have tried multiple batteries (Energizer lithium's, Duracell 2400 mah NIMH, Powerex 2700 mah NIMH, NIMZ, and even lowly alkalines. Yesterday I went to Radio Shack and bought some contact cleaner and lubricant, which was supposed to be their brand of Deoxit. It contains Deoxit, but has other ingredients. The light worked after I initially cleaned it, but then it started malfunctioning like before.

I guess I will just return the other two and look for another light like this one. I would like a single AA light that puts out more than 200 lumens (OTF), and would also like the option to extend it to use 2AA's. The only one I have seen is the Olight T15, but I have another Olight and it is not as robust as I would like. Any recommendations out there or even a solution to the Neutron issue before I ship them back!?
I had exactly the same problems and I tried to change the batteries too. At the end the solutions were to clean contact (as you did) and to tighten strongly the threads. I solved all my problems and now the flashlight runs very well.

Ciao