How to remove hard set LED epoxy?

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am itchign in moding my old Fenix L0D-CE which is still seeing daily service.

problem is that the LED and the wires TOO, are covered in mounting epoxy, which is very hard.

WEB-IGP9948_zpsd363a281.jpg~original

I can just scratch it with an X-Acto knife but I am sure that I will be damaging the wires in the process.
Since I do not know of a way to remove the electronics/pill, not damaging the wires is the only option.

Is there a way to chemically erode that epoxy?

hannu

Newly Enlightened
one way is to heat it, i do remove epoxy from rifels, bedding, by have it in a oven 120c for 2h and then the epoxy is much softer

but that depens if there are some things that cant stan the temperature, led are ok, but not capacitators ,electrolyt or tantal

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
If real epoxy, I'd think enough heat to soften it would damage the wire insulation and maybe other electronics.

I put a high-CRI Cree into my L0D some time ago, but don't recall so much epoxy. If it's just a hard glue, I would just chip it out with a pointed tool, just being careful around the wires. I can't quite remember what my L0D was like. I may have some photos at home, later.

Edit:

I have photos, before and after. I did not have nearly as much glue. I recall just chipping away at it with several sharp tools, an X-Acto knife, a jewelers screwdriver, a dental pick. I just wanted to free the wires without damage and did not care about the old LED. However, the wire insulation melted easily, and I added the sleeves.

Before:
L0Dorig.jpg

After:
L0Dcri.jpg

Last edited:

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used acetone to soften epoxy. It takes quite a while (I leave it overnight), and isn't perfect, but it's an idea. It may work better on some epoxies than others.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
louie thanks.
your pics are very usefull but broke my heart.
I see epoxy all way to the brim in the pill too!

this way there is absolutely NO chance to fail!

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with DIYdiver. Acetone(fingernail polish remover) will soften two ton epoxy so that you can pick it out.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sell a professional use product that would probably work but in all honesty with the costs involved would be a waste of your money and effort.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
an update.....
I tried acetone, white spirit (dissolves fresh mixed epoxy), and clothe stain gasoline.
NOTHING!

but I managed to demoe the LED, though this was to be expected with the gasoline use.
that negates my plan II of boiling in a zippie to soften the epoxy.

what is left now is dremel tip (actually dentist burring tips) or sit tight and forget about it....

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
an update.....
I tried acetone, white spirit (dissolves fresh mixed epoxy), and clothe stain gasoline.
NOTHING!

but I managed to demoe the LED, though this was to be expected with the gasoline use.
that negates my plan II of boiling in a zippie to soften the epoxy.

what is left now is dremel tip (actually dentist burring tips) or sit tight and forget about it....

Get a professional use product and make the job easy or buy a new light.