"White LEDs to overtake the light bulb"

Velcro

Enlightened
\"White LEDs to overtake the light bulb\"

[ QUOTE ]
White LEDs to overtake the light bulb, keynoter says.

SAN FRANCISCO — White LEDs will replace incandescent bulbs in traffic lights and other applications, drawing less power and lasting over ten times longer, according to Shuji Nakamura, a faculty member at the University of California at Santa Barbara, in a keynote address Monday (Dec. 11) at the International Electron Devices Meeting.

Nakamura, the inventor of the blue, green and white LED and of the blue laser, had a trailblazing career as a researcher at Nichia Chemical Industries in Tokushima, Japan before recently accepted an appointment to the College of Engineering at UC Santa Barbara. In his keynote, Nakamura said that red, blue and green LEDs based on indium gallium nitride can outperform incandescent bulbs by reducing energy consumption by a factor of ten and enhancing lifetime ten to 50 times over the standard incandescent bulb, which typically lasts one year, Nakamura said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the full article here http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20001212S0034

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:

Once LEDs can achieve the same brightness as incans, I think the time of glowing wire will soon be over. There would be no reason to continue using bulbs.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re:

keeping fingers crossed ... that this should happen while I am still alive ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
bernhard

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: White LEDs to overtake the light bulb

No quotes in the subject line guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ~ nothing to see here~

Kiessling

Flashaholic

McGizmo Enterprises - we clean your subject lines for free !
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED\'s take over incandecents? When price is compet

[ QUOTE ]
MTFD17 said:
Once LEDs can achieve the same brightness as incans, I think the time of glowing wire will soon be over. There would be no reason to continue using bulbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I, respectfully, do not think so. Price will be a factor.

We all here at CPF know about superior flashlights, yet stores are FILLED with 1.99 flashlights, complete with batteries? Why, because of price.

There are Flourscent bulbs with the same form factor as an incandecent, and offer cooler running and increased burn time and less wattage for equivalant light output over an incandecent, yet light bulbs still sell.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LED\'s take over incandecents? When price is compet

Ah, yes cost... Good point Budd, not everyone invests in cutting edge technology like most of us here... haha

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

could it be because bulbs when coupled with a reflector throw much further? all portable flourescent lights i've seen only provide a flood of light with no throw. LEDs are a viable option because when coupled with an optic or large enough reflector, are capable of performance (in terms of throw) on par with a light bulb. another advantage that LEDs would have over both light bulbs and flourescent bulbs would be ruggedness, since failure due to physical shock is almost impossible for LEDs.

SockMan

Newly Enlightened
Re: LED\'s take over incandecents? When price is co

I agree. LEDs will not take over incandecents for a while until price has gone down. Also, color uniformity is still an issue. "White" LEDs can still vary in color from pure white to barely white.

Although LEDs have great benifits in some applications such as traffic lights, many people will probably find one appealing factor to incandescents that will not go away anytime soon: price.

In my opinion, throw doesn't contribute to people chosing incandescent verses LED. For one thing, throw applies mostly to flashlights; people will not often consider throw when they want to replace their home light bulbs. Secondly, Some LED flashlights do have good throw, but you need to spend more for a Luxeon light to do it well. People will probably be put off by the price tag before they are discouraged by how far a light throws.

Empath

Flashaholic

Fluorescent lighting has had over half a century to replace the incandescent light bulb, but hasn't. Even though conventional fluorescents are more efficient and longer lasting than an incandescent bulb, it has been counted as no more than an alternative to incandescents. Industrial and institutional use of fluorescents is due to heavy lighting requirements, making it far more efficient to run fluorescent. The same degree of economic concern isn't as serious a factor for the home

White LED lighting is just another form of fluorescent lighting, and is less efficient than conventional fluorescent. In addition, conventional fluorescent permits coating entire inner surfaces of lamps to provide omnidirectional emission of light. An LED is unidirectional by nature of it's construction, and requires complex physical manipulation in order to create multidirectional emissions.

LED lighting excels in long lasting light readily visible over a long distance in the direction of it's beam. Traffic signals and difficult to replace lamps will be replaced by LED, due to it's advantages. I've no idea how the reasonable acceptance of such advantages in the use of colored LED lighting is counted as an indication that white LED lighting will obsolete the incandescent.

Flashlights, portable lighting, traffic signals, beacons, and labor intensive replacement applications will convert extensively to LED. Industrial, institutional, and commercial will stay with fluorescent lighting. Home lighting will likely be a mixture, with low level lighting requirements being met by LED, and higher light requirements being met by fluorescent and incandescent.

There's been no indication that reasonable effectiveness hasn't been realized with incandescents. That's why fluorescent, even with it's advantages hasn't obsoleted them, even with improved fluorescent technology. The LED, even with it's improved and improving technology, but less efficiency won't either.

LED technology is a welcome option to lighting. But, that's all it is; an option.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LED\'s take over incandecents? When price is co

my mistake...i thought buddtx meant flourescent flashlights, not bulbs for domestic use. disregard my previous post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
Flashlights, portable lighting, traffic signals, beacons, and labor intensive replacement applications will convert extensively to LED.

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes a heck of a lot of sense to replace traffic signals with LEDs, not just because of the labor savings, but because they typically don't fail catastrophically in a manner that can cause traffic accidents, the way that incandescents can.

I've noticed LED traffic signals showing up in two types of traffic-light situations - (1) new construction and (2) bad neighborhoods, where the city electricians are at risk of getting shot at when they're up there replacing bulbs.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast

I read somewhere that LED car headlights will be introduced in 2006 or 2010... Can remember which, ill have to do a little searching.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Still only a prototype, but...
audi.lemans.f34.500.jpg

...damn it looks good!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
MTFD17 said:
I read somewhere that LED car headlights will be introduced in 2006 or 2010... Can remember which, ill have to do a little searching.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard the same rumor while at a lighting trade show. I think the rumor was that Lumileds was working on a headlight, but don't quote me on that.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

One thing BAD about LED traffic signals is that when snow is blow into them in winter, there is no heat from a bulb to melt it away, and it can mask them partially. Something I've notice as all of our lights here have been converted.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wish I could remember which one it is but one of the ahh more costly Audis has LED day time headlights right now and several motorcycles are using LED taillights currently plus the Tomahawk viper powered bike has LED head and tail lights

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think Empath is on the money...again.

I like the warmth of incans stategically placed in an office environment. I would like to have overhead LED lighting for the color rendition and it would not flicker like most flourecsent tubes running off regular ballasts.

It's been discussed before but it sure would be nice to have some light frequencies that emulate sunlight. If it could emulate that "magic hour" in the morning photographers like, that would be nice. Mood lighting would be good too.

Next time I have an extra $100,000.00 I'll see if PhotonWrangler wants to whip something up for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Icebreak said:
Next time I have an extra $100,000.00 I'll see if PhotonWrangler wants to whip something up for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, for that kinda money I'll get started right now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
One thing BAD about LED traffic signals is that when snow is blow into them in winter, there is no heat from a bulb to melt it away, and it can mask them partially.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, interesting point. Of course if they made the LED arrays really powerful, you'd be able to see them right through the snow. I supposed that if they were hanging new fixtures from scratch rather than retrofitting existing ones with LEDs, the new assembly could be designed with a thermostatically controlled heating element to take care of snow and ice. It would bring the current draw back up, but if the fixture was carefully designed, they could concentrate the heat only around the lenses and thus keep it as efficient as possible.

Latest posts