Video Review and Tear Down of the 3rd GEN Maglite Flashlights

Old-Lumens

Newly Enlightened
Ok folks, here it is and it's a long video, with a couple of "double takes" in it, but it will show the tear down y'all want... I hope.

trans.gif

Totally new light! A Major design change and they really did some good things to the new Mag!
I love this new light!
Here's a couple photos of the driver/switch

99e9UR.jpg

3D Driver above, 2D driver below

IyLnD5.jpg

vdcAWj.jpg

c89kDa.jpg

lvFtrI.jpg

Last edited:

Old-Lumens

Newly Enlightened
OMG! I just read the Manual. There's "Function Sets"!! I never read the manual. I really have to apoligize for that.
Function set #1 General Use - Full power/Low power/Eco #2 Outdoor Use - Full/Low/Strobe #3 Law Enforcement - Momentary/Full/Eco #4 Tactical - Momentary/Full/Strobe
It comes set for Standard Mode. To change Function Sets, Uncerew the tail cap, till contact breaks. Wait 2 seconds, then press the switch and hold. Turn the tail cap back in and keep holding the button till the light starts to blink, (4 seconds). The number of the function set is the number of blinks. Choose a set by releasing the button after the number of blinks that corresponds to the set you want. One, Two, Thee or Four blinks. Then you will be in that function set. Repeat the process to change to another set.
I will have to try that and see if I can do it. Sorry for nort doing my review properly to begin with.

EDIT: I have just tried it and it does work.

• Unscrew the TC a half turn
  • Wait 2 seconds and then push and hold the switch
  • Turn the TC back in tight
  • Continue to hold for 4 seconds
  • The light will blink once, meaning function set 1 - let off the switch if you want function set 1 or continue to hold for the other function set.
  • If you continue to hold, after 2 more seconds the light will flash two times, signifying function set 2. You can figure out from there, if you continue to hold in the switch, you get three blinks and then four blinks and you let off just after the number of blinks you want, for the function set you want.
It works and I tested all modes.
Remember that when you change the different modes in each function set, like H/L/Eco, you have to be quick. Quick clicks... You have to start with the light off and click very quickly, one/two/ or three clicks, to get the level you want.
Hope this hepls some.

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen these in stores yet, and I have a soft spot for Mag. Where did you get them? I need to cycle out my 3D that stays in the car. I think my. Dad will get it.

Jay611j

Enlightened
Thanks for a great review! Still waiting for my local store to get these in stock. I'm actually a little excited to get one of these.

Old-Lumens

Newly Enlightened
Beam Shots and Amp Draws

EDITED: Amp Draws: All amps were done at the tail end. This does not mean amperage to the LED, just amperage drawn from the cells, by the driver.
3D High 1.5 amps at the tail
3D Low .22 amps
3D Eco .10 amps

2D High 2.86 amps at the tail
2D Low .30 amps
2D Eco .14 amps

As you can see, the 2D really hits the cells hard on high. Remember, these are Alkalines - Copper Tops.

Beam Shots 2D
9wTT1v.jpg

lhgRLj.jpg

SVuii6.jpg

io4o4H.jpg

B3I3ec.jpg

WgVCKJ.jpg

3D
s0hDay.jpg

hhb3mH.jpg

NyTHqk.jpg

IkdHM2.jpg

KjVRg3.jpg

V85dng.jpg

mdx1bx.jpg

I think I damaged the pill for the 2D from removing it and replacing it. It affected the beam some. I don't think it's straight in place any more.

That's all I got I guess. I feel like either of these lights stock, would be fine for walking or general use. I would pick the 3D for more brightness and runtime and the 2D for less weight.

Last edited:

Old-Lumens

Newly Enlightened
I haven't seen these in stores yet, and I have a soft spot for Mag. Where did you get them? I need to cycle out my 3D that stays in the car. I think my. Dad will get it.
I got mine through Pricefalls.com I also have seen them on Ebay. Search for "3rd GEN Maglite"

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beam Shots and Amp Draws

Amp Draws: All amps were done at the tail end and the numbers are times the cells, for total amperage. This does not mean amperage to the LED, just amperage drawn from the cells, by the driver.
3D High 4.5 amps total --- 1.5 amps at the tail x 3 cells, (that is how all the results are figured).
3D Low .66 amps
3D Eco .30 amps

2D High 5.72 amps total --- 2.86 amps at the tail x 2 cells, (that is how all the results are figured).
2D Low .90 amps
2D Eco .34 amps

:confused: Are you saying the cells are arranged in parallel, not in series?

Old-Lumens

Newly Enlightened
:confused: Are you saying the cells are arranged in parallel, not in series?
No, they are in series.
On the 3D, the amp draw on high, measured at the tail end, by measuring from the battery to the bare ground ring on the tube, reads 1.5 amps on high.
On the 2D, the amp draw on high, measured at the tail end, by measuring from the battery to the bare ground ring on the tube, reads 2.86 amps on high.

dts71

Newly Enlightened
No, they are in series. On the 3D, the amp draw on high, measured at the tail end, by measuring from the battery to the bare ground ring on the tube, reads 1.5 amps on high. On the 2D, the amp draw on high, measured at the tail end, by measuring from the battery to the bare ground ring on the tube, reads 2.86 amps on high.

When in series, the voltage is multiplied with the number of cells, but you should not multiply the amps.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, they are in series.
On the 3D, the amp draw on high, measured at the tail end, by measuring from the battery to the bare ground ring on the tube, reads 1.5 amps on high.
On the 2D, the amp draw on high, measured at the tail end, by measuring from the battery to the bare ground ring on the tube, reads 2.86 amps on high.

Okay, that makes more sense.
Around 2.5 amp battery draw seems pretty common on 2-cell lights, which is fine on NiMH cells. It would be pretty tough on alkalines, though. 2.8 amps with alkalines is a bad move, IMO. Is Maglite still pushing alkalines in their lights?

Old-Lumens

Newly Enlightened
Okay, that makes more sense.
Around 2.5 amp battery draw seems pretty common on 2-cell lights, which is fine on NiMH cells. It would be pretty tough on alkalines, though. 2.8 amps with alkalines is a bad move, IMO. Is Maglite still pushing alkalines in their lights?
I wouldn't think they would push NiMHs. Most of the better D sized are about $12 each and it sure would deter a lot of people to buy a $50 light and another $100 in batteries and a charger.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing the video, pics, and thoughts. It really looks like Mag is moving in a good direction with their new series.

eff

Enlightened
I wouldn't think they would push NiMHs. Most of the better D sized are about $12 each and it sure would deter a lot of people to buy a $50 light and another $100 in batteries and a charger.

Thanks for the review.
50$ for that light would be a pretty good deal.

Old-Lumens

Newly Enlightened
I just tore down the 3D and the driver is totally different. Same location, same size, but a totally different driver. I will try to get photos up in a day or two.