Heavy Duty Electric Pencil Sharpener

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
My profession requires a heavy duty electric pencil sharpener.

Can someone recommend one that works fast, works well,
and ideally, will last a long time?

120v AC, no batteries.

Thank you!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The X-acto School Pro electric has been our most long lasting pencil sharpener. None of the Boston electric models lasted in our elementary school environment. The colored pencils will kill just about any pencil sharpener

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did some research, and apparently, the vintage Panasonic pencil sharpeners are very highly regarded.

I nabbed two off e-Bay earlier today.

Made in Japan, 100 watt motor, and neat little light when the pencil is sharp.

Will report back with "real world tests" once they arrive.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Until I retired I sharpened pencils daily. I have an old Panasonic sharpener that was the only one to last. Everything else died an early death. The panasonic still works.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the delayed update.

I gifted one of the heavy Panasonic beasts to my family, and it now sits on the kitchen counter where the bananas were.

It is a beast!

It sharpens calmly and without choking on the pencils, and does it very, very well.

I am quite pleased.

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Sorry for the delayed update.

I gifted one of the heavy Panasonic beasts to my family, and it now sits on the kitchen counter where the bananas were.

It is a beast!

It sharpens calmly and without choking on the pencils, and does it very, very well.

I am quite pleased.

Model number? And can you define "vintage" for me in this context? In other words, does Panasonic still make this one, or will I have to scour second-hand markets and pay close attention to the manufacture date?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great questions, and I apologize in that I do not have readily available answers, but I'll do the best I can:

1) I purchased two models, the KP-8A and the KP-33N.

Between the two, the KP-8A seems more robust, but this is a superficial observation.

2) They are vintage units, and they frequently pop up on e-Bay in a range of conditions from "Collect me, please, I've never been used"
to "Works great, light cosmetic wear," to "Works great, just needs a new motor, electrical cord, and housing."

3) As far as manufacture date goes, again, I apologize in that I really don't know.

4) Here is a video or two to demonstrate the construction differences:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXaq_H5PCeg

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can attest to the quality of the National sharpener (former Japanese brand, now Panasonic). Don't use it much anymore because I switched to mechanical pencils. Mine just turned 20 years old and works just as well as the day I bought it. It was purchased in Japan.

Last edited:

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
This one: http://xacto.com/products/office-so...ffice/Model-41-Electric-Pencil-Sharpener.aspx

I have sharpened way too many pencils volunteering in my kids classes. This one has been the most durable & least likely to bog down. Most of the other models have plastic gears which wear out.

This model runs circles around the school pro model. It's used by potentially anyone of the the teachers or volunteers of an entire K-5 school & I personally would sharpen 2-300 colored pencils every week & that thing still works like new a year later!

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
This one: http://xacto.com/products/office-so...ffice/Model-41-Electric-Pencil-Sharpener.aspx

I have sharpened way too many pencils volunteering in my kids classes. This one has been the most durable & leaf likely to bog down. Most of the other models have plastic clears which wear out.

This model runs circles around the school pro model. It's used by potentially anyone of the the teachers or volunteers of an entire K-5 school & I personally would sharpen 2-300 colored pencils every week & that thing still works like new a year later!

Spend about $60 retail for a School Pro, or about $250 for the commercial model.

I was wrong about the colored pencils, apparently. Thanks for the link. Interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never knew there was still a demand for an electric sharpener,thought it would be all disposable these days but very wrong lol.

geisto

Newly Enlightened
The electric Boston sharpeners during my school days were all used and abused. A new one probably lasted a year or two.

Just slight off track but I swore off pencils after my first tech drawing class in high school. All I use now are Koh-i-noor lead holders.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just can't resist asking what is a "heavy duty electric pencil?" :crackup:

Do you absolutely need to use a wooden pencil? I have left those aside the very day I discovered "propelling" pencils for most tasks, even for some types of sketching.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spend about $60 retail for a School Pro, or about $250 for the commercial model.

I was wrong about the colored pencils, apparently. Thanks for the link. Interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

I have done more research & apparently there is some belief that colored pencils will dull the blades more quickly. In this particular sharpeners case it has a 10 year warranty so I wouldn't be too concerned TBH.

On a pricing level you could ask your school if you could order the sharpener through them on your credit card. That technique allowed to get that sharpener for $115 via the schools contract with the supplier.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have done more research & apparently there is some belief that colored pencils will dull the blades more quickly. In this particular sharpeners case it has a 10 year warranty so I wouldn't be too concerned TBH.

On a pricing level you could ask your school if you could order the sharpener through them on your credit card. That technique allowed to get that sharpener for $115 via the schools contract with the supplier.

Thanks for the info.

If the pencil sharpener was for the classroom, then one could go through the school. Any personal use needs to be purchased without affiliation to avoid employment complications.