Will Surefire come out with FireFly size light?

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's talk about some things we'd like to see.

I would like to see two lights in regular production,

A) FireFly sized light using a 1w luxeon.
B) Aluminum double barrel 4-AA light with exchangable heads, Incandescent or 5w LED.

What about you? Want would you like?

GregR

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
A is possible, but unlikely IMHO. B is probably not likely to happen since surefire's products are all powered by lithium 123a cells.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
chamenos-

Yea I agree with both your assesments, but WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE?

GregR

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Surefire should leave the small/bright EDC catergory to ARC and others. Id like to see a Surefire adjustable level 5 watter and a HID unit.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i don't think Surefire would try to market an extremely compact EDC..
it's not really what they try to do.. most of their lights are already pretty concealable..

they've probly toyed with the idea tho.. and they HAVE to be coming out with some new luxeon lights after the success of the L4. HAVE to.

Geode

Enlightened
Interesting question. I can only offer an opinion - probably not. For what Surefires were intended for, at least palm length is about as small as hand held flashlight should be.

I really like my Arc LSL, but the E2e and A2 are more comfortable to use, even though they are larger.

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Will Surefire come out with FireFly size light

Surefire is already making a smaller-than-E2e light, namely the E1e. They built the now-aging KL1 to work with the E1e giving a 1x123/1W LED configuration. They also built the somewhat clunky L1 as a first try at a 1x123 LED light (I think it came out before the KL1). So a Firefly-like light (or anyway, maybe a smaller L1 replacement) from Surefire someday doesn't seem inevitable but I wouldn't be too surprised by it either.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

i dont' see any company coming out with a firefly sized light anytime soon.
at least not with the same specs and battery.

every flashlight design in existance has tradeoffs.
the firefly is a wonderful design, but some of it's tradeoffs don't make it a plausable design for a commercial flashlight. for small runs and such, it's an excellent design. but for a company to make something like that and sell it to people who have no idea what they're doing, and wouldn't know how to take care of it would be a warrantee nightmare.

i'm still surprised with how small the arc ls turned out to be without sacrificing too much in regards to thermal considerations, optical package, waterproofness, etc!

as far as what i'd like to see, i remember a post somone made about a doublebarrel flashlight design a year or so ago. ergonomic, attractive, viable, my only concern would be machining cost.
maybe somone can find the link?

paulr

Flashaholic

I thought the Firefly didn't have thermal problems if you ran it at 1 watt, but people like to overdrive them, which needs more attention.

The Firefly may lack some physical toughness because of the thin battery tube it had to use to accomodate the 123 cell while keeping the outside diameter small. However, a Firefly-sized light using a CR2 cell could use thicker metal and not need as much manufacturing precision, etc.

I think the real market for these small Luxeon lights, though, is in a 1AA version the size of an Arc AA or CMG Infinity. I don't understand why nobody is making one.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

There doesn't seem to be any thermal issues with my CR2 DD light with a low Vf R2H. Picture a $3.60 stack of dimes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

paulr

Flashaholic

Damn. Now I have to go take $3.60 out of the bank and try it.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

double_A: my post was in response to the question in your topic (Will Surefire come out with FireFly size light?).

as for what i'd like to see, it would have to be lower prices and a two-stage regulated 5-watt LED light similar in design to the A2.