What 18650 Battery Should I get For The Nitecore HC90 Headlamp?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received a Nitecore HC90 headlamp today. I didn't realize that this doesn't come with a battery. I am used to Streamlight, Inova, and Pelican that all come with a battery. Anyway, I want to go with an 18650 battery. Are they all created equal? What 18650 should I go with?

diesel power

Newly Enlightened
i hav ea couple HC50's and wonder that as well. i looked at the discharge curves but don't get which battery would be best given the type light with a XM-L, assuming i'm aiming for one that will last the longest for the higher settings.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, they're not all created equally.

You'll probably want a protected cell, so knowing how long a protected cell can be in order to fit your particular lights, is important.

The HC90 puts out 900LM running an XM-L2 T6 LED, so you're not draining more than 3A, IMO, on Turbo, so you probably don't have to confine yourselves to hi-drain IMR, or hybrid types, but those would be options.

Keeppower 3400s, EagleTac 3400s fit a lot of cramped battery compartments, where shorter cells are preferred.

Chris

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll probably want a protected cell, so knowing how long a protected cell can be in order to fit your particular lights, is important.

I don't know if this light has onboard low voltage protection. But if it does, then there is really no need for protected batteries. In fact, I prefer unprotected batteries since they generally fit better and don't caused increased stress on electronic components.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if this light has onboard low voltage protection. But if it does, then there is really no need for protected batteries. In fact, I prefer unprotected batteries since they generally fit better and don't caused increased stress on electronic components.

I agree, but I like to fly naked, so maybe it's me?

Chris

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have that HC90 and love it. Mine is a vn edition. That helps. :)

No protection on my version. As I have killed 2 batteries already. It is easy to accidentally leave it on. The "off" position is located in between two "on" positions. It can very very easily get bumped ON in your bag during transportation. Now, I lock it out by unscrewing the cap. Sometimes I use laptop pulls by putting a small magnet on the positive terminal. I have a plethora of them to destroy. So no worries there.

I never killed the batteries while wearing it. I would strongly suggest folks use a protected cell only. If I am wearing it on my head I use protected cells. After all this thing is less than a inch from your brain & face and is pulling some serious juice!

Nitecore actually makes batteries if you want to stay in the brand? Look for quality protected cells. Stay far far far away from any battery with "FIRE" on it or it may be on you!

Last edited:

Speedfreakz

Newly Enlightened
I have the hc50 and ran nitecore 3400 in it but after a couple of drops both batteries stopped working. No noticeable dents in the battery and they check fine with a dmm. I switched to keepower and will see if they fair better. Ymmv

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see that some specify flat top or button top. What difference does this make? Should I get flat top or button top for use in the Nitecore HC90 headlamp?

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
My HC50 requires button top to work, the +ve side is flat with reverse polarity protection, if you want to go safe get protected cells, the battery compartment is very long so any battery will fit.

I recommend using protected cells. As mentioned above, keepower/eagletac/olight/ 3400mAh batteries are your best choice.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes Button top is what you need. I should have stated more clearly. My batteries I was using were FLAT TOPS, I stick a small 2mm by 2mm neodymium battery on the positive terminal to make the contact. Be careful doing this. It is best to super glue around the magnet to make sure it doesn't slip off the top of the battery and side under the wrapper and make contact with the Negative part of the body. Sparks will fly! Trust me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!