Switching tailcaps between two SureFires, any issues?

AirmanV

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys. First off, thanks in advance for any help I receive! So recently I received my P3X Fury Pro in the mail. All was well, light performed nicely, and overall am satisfied with the light. It was until recently I noticed an issue with the tailcap assembly. For whatever reason, the rear clicky makes an audible "squeek" noise that is quite noticeable. It's loud enough to the point where you can hear it across the room if it's quiet enough. The light performs well and all, so this issue is more of a nuisance. So here's my question... Instead of waiting a week or so for surefire to fix the issue, I switched the tailcap from my 6PX defender an put it on my P3X. Everything appears to be functioning normally, as the tailcaps appear identicle, and I still have the dual output function. Is the tailcap from the 6PX the same as the P3X tailcap? Will I encounter any issues in the long run? Thanks for any replies!

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tailcaps are functionally the same but, based on my samples, the P3X tailcap has a very slightly shorter spring with a plastic collar around it (inside the tailcap). All of my two cell lights (P2X Fury, 6PX, G2X, etc) have a metal collar instead.

Call SureFire up and tell them about the issue with your P3X tailcap. I suspect they will just send you a tailcap, without you having to send your whole light to them. In the meantime you should be fine using the 6PX tailcap.

AirmanV

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info 880arm. I called SF and they will be sending me a replacement tailcap. For now I'll use the 6PX tailcap. Not sure why the spring size is different, they function the exact same... Odd. Again, thanks!

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem. :twothumbs

The difference in the springs is VERY slight. It could be because of the three-cell design of the P3X or it may simply be a matter of my P3X tailcap being newer than the ones on my various 6PX/G2X lights.

AirmanV

Newly Enlightened
Just a little update. So far I've seen no difference in performance with the 6PX tailcap. Like you said 880arm, it could just be a "newer" tailcap that SureFire has designed as the P3X is a relatively new SF light. Its always good to have extra SF tailcaps anyways, so once I get the new tailcap I'll just toss this one in my pelican case !