Best Option for High-Current/Infrequent-Use D-Cells?

williaty

Newly Enlightened
I've got a 4 D-cell Maglight with a Malkoff super-high-output-dropin-of-awesomeness (I actually totally forget what it is other than it says Malkoff on it) installed. I remember at the time I bought it that the website said it made quite a lot of lumens on regular alkaline D-Cells but would make considerably more than that if you put NiMH cells in it with high current capacity. I've had normal alkalines in it since I bought it, but I'm wondering if I can come up with something better (meaning higher current output for more lumens). The problem is that this is my "what the hell is happening in the back pasture" light (thrower, super bright) so it only gets used maybe once a year or so. All the rechargeables I know of will self-discharge in a light used this infrequently. As far as I can find, no one sells a D-sized lithium primary (and given then energy density of a Li-chemisty battery, I can't say I blame them!). What options do I have for this?

Note: this is a refresh of a question I asked 2 years ago. Back then, the suggestion was to get some Tenergy Centura Ds and a charger. I never acted on it and 2 years is a lot of R&D time in this industry, so I wanted to see what the current hotness is.

Last edited:

Particle

Newly Enlightened
Tenergy Centura D cells are still probably your ticket. They have a very low internal resistance under high load (good for power delivery) and are low self discharge. If you want to avoid NiMH though, You'd be able to get a bucket full of AA lithium primary cells and use 3-in-1 adapters to turn them into 9-10 Ah D cells. Alkaline batteries just aren't ever going to be a good fit for high drain devices. They start with substantial internal resistance and it only goes up though the discharge cycle. NiMH batteries do not substantially change.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
They do sell lithium primary D cells, at 3.6v more like cr123s than AA energizer primaries. Don't think have seen them used in lights, or anything else. Pricey at $16+ each for a single use battery.

Use the d cell nimhs myself. They now sit mostly since retiring. But, when its oil change time in the car, it's battery maintenance and charge day as well. Helps me keep track and keep them in working order.