Home Depot breach information

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Many people here have purchased LED bulbs and other items form Home Depot. Here is a link to information about their data breach including information on how to sign up for a year of free credit monitoring.

sassaquin

Enlightened
Grrrrrr... Just found out a few days ago that my credit card was compromised due to the Home Depot data breach. Luckily, my bank was on top of things and cancelled the card right away. Hopefully, with any luck, I won't suffer further repercussions as a result of this fiasco. 😡

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here. I just got the notice in the mail yesterday!!!!!!! And get this, a few weeks ago I had just gotten a new DEBIT card due to a previous "possible compromise"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought the first one a few weeks ago was because of HD! Must have been something else? Some how, I didn't get a notice for Target. My neighbor did. I have Target a mile away from the house and me & my wife shop there twice a week.

I will be honest, I think that these two cases are just the tip of a big ice burg. I bet we will see much more of this in time. I have a app on my phone I can check my bank account any time I want. Now, I look 4 times a day! lol I am addicted to checking it as though it were Facebook.

I don't worry about my Credit Card. By federal law you can only be held responsible for $50 of unauthorized charges. Here is cool part, by law if you don't sign the back of your card, and they don't have a signature for the transaction they can not hold you accountable for a charge. When buying online and you click "I agree" that is equal to a signature.

If you don't like stupid stories, Skip the next paragraph and go search Cool Titanium flashlights for more fun:

Story time: Back in my super broke days, I had a CC and I didn't sign the back of the card. A "friend" took it and decided to shop with it. He faked my signature and all! CC Company basically said I was lying and had to pay for the charges!! When I called the police they informed me that because my card was not signed on the back the CC company couldn't make me pay any way. I was young and the CC company told me I was responsible unless I had a police report and such. Being naive and the sucker I am, I felt bad for this fool (who is in jail now for some drug stuff 25 years later) and didn't want to call the police. I just wanted the money to pay for it and we part ways. Naturally he wouldn't have stole my card if he intended on paying for it. Worst part is that he used it at that junkie shop Spencer Gifts at the Mall. He bought some stupid Tshirts. Before I caught him, when he wore them, he said "hey like my shirt, you should get you one of these they are cool"! Insult to injury! lol

Vinniec5

Enlightened
I noticed starting last Xmas on the HD cash registers a notice to the cashiers not to accept Phone calls from people saying they were from Corporate HQ and to activate Store CCs or Gift cards. all calls were to be transferred to the Security Office or Managers office. People obviously know HDs security procedures for CCs and know enough to get through the Store phone system directly to the registers and sound like the accounts people to activate stolen Gift and/or store credit cards. How I would handle these people I can't type here but HD sells all the ingredients in the Garden Section

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Any business that processes credit cards has to abide by the PCI (Payment Card Industry) standards. This includes regular audits. I've got to wonder how those particular audits went.

If it's true that they knowingly ignored warnings for 6 years, someone in upper management needs to go to jail for this.

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already received a new card, as mine was used during the time of the breach. I was just starting to memorize the number, as I had a new one thanks to the Target breach. Our system is so bass ackwards. At least the Europeans have a PIN system. We still use checks even.... Rediculous, and costly.

LED User

Newly Enlightened
I just signed up today for a free year of identity theft protection thru the Home Depot website. I have bought a few Cree light bulbs for lamps, etc. thruoughout the house.

LED User

Newly Enlightened
LED User,

:welcome:

I'm also enjoying a bunch of Cree bulbs. However, three of them have had the glass part fall off. Seems Cree is using subpar glue. :thumbsdow

~ Chance

Thanks for your welcome Chance!

Wow, So far I've not had any issues. You were able to exchange them, right?

LED User

Newly Enlightened
Good, I'm glad you've had no problems.
I agree, I'm retaining all of my receipts and bubble card minus the plastic bubble in a special pocket folder.

markr6

Flashaholic
I don't worry about my Credit Card. By federal law you can only be held responsible for $50 of unauthorized charges. Here is cool part, by law if you don't sign the back of your card, and they don't have a signature for the transaction they can not hold you accountable for a charge. When buying online and you click "I agree" that is equal to a signature.

I don't worry either...couldn't care less. So they have my cc info, who cares? I check my activity from time to time and like you said I'm not liable when someone buys a $3000 TV with my card if that ever would happen. Cancel your card. Get a new one. Actually, they sent me one automatically. Done.

Credit monitoring? LOL what are they going to do? My card was already cancelled. I signed up for it anyway just because it was free.

Now if they got my SSN, bank account, or other personal information I would worry.

Does anyone really know how much personal information was obtained? If it was only my Home Depot CC number,, eh no big deal. But when I applied for the card, I provided a lot of information......and so did everyone who has a HD card.

~ Chance

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Does anyone really know how much personal information was obtained? If it was only my Home Depot CC number,, eh no big deal. But when I applied for the card, I provided a lot of information......and so did everyone who has a HD card.

~ Chance

Yeah, most likely they got all your info.