I want a 3P!!!!!

jave-mtr

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,
this may sound like a whiny post, and that's exactly what it's intended to be, a huge whinefest!!! :D

I really like the stubby look of a SureFire 3P and I think it's an awesome host for my Malkoff M31 and M31L. Bezels and tailcaps are plentiful, but the 3P bodies are nonexistent.

I don't want to settle for a Chinese 1xCR123 body that needs shimming to fit the Malkoff dropins, and I also don't want to pay top dollar when a rare 3P body shows up on the exchange.

Oveready does so much machining/modding with regular 6P bodies, I can't believe they are not also putting out some 3P bodies. The step from modding existing bodies to creating one from scratch is not that huge, they are already machining the outside, boring the inside, and then doing their own anodizing. Might as well buy some 7075-T6 and cut 3P bodies. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a CAD file with approximate dimensions!

So who is up for a group buy? Trying to drum up some interest here!

Thanks for listening to my rant/vent! ;)

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree the 3P format is great.

OVEREADY already has everything you need to build your own from scratch. All you need is their Moddoolar 35mm body and C-series adapter and then you can add the bezel and tailcap of your choice. Or you can go even shorter using their 20mm body and a ZeroRez Shorty tailcap as shown below. :twothumbs

FlashlightGuide_1572.jpg

scout24

Flashaholic
MartinDwhite MD-1 body with a MD2 head and high/low ring gets you dual output in a 3p size host also.

EDIT- If you like Nitrolon, there are turnkey custom shortened G2's on "The Bay", as well as a diy tutorial over in the custom and modified light section... :)

Last edited:

jave-mtr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all! Some good options here, and some that I wasn't even aware of! I might try some of these or I might buy some 7075 and spend a night at the lathe! ;)

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can pretty easily source the following Surefire parts and have yourself a 3P host:
Z44 bezel
Z41 tailcap
A21 body
LU60 adapter

The LU60 may need to be opened up/bored a bit to fit the M31, but it can be done easily with a dremel and some patience.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Oveready does so much machining/modding with regular 6P bodies, I can't believe they are not also putting out some 3P bodies. The step from modding existing bodies to creating one from scratch is not that huge, they are already machining the outside, boring the inside, and then doing their own anodizing. Might as well buy some 7075-T6 and cut 3P bodies. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a CAD file with approximate dimensions!

So who is up for a group buy? Trying to drum up some interest here!

Thanks for listening to my rant/vent! ;)

To your questions, only 25-50% of our best ideas in a given year, make it into metal. We've considered converting 6P into 3P and even Z1, but the 'flat' on the original body under the logo wouldn't finish right. It would cliff on a P shape and leave a cut circle on the grip round of the Z.

We've not considered making one from scratch but as 880arm shows (thanks Jim!) we do have options for 3P and even 2P setups. But I do need to make them easy to see/find! :fail:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump

I recently switched from 6P to a FiveMega 3P as my EDC, it's just so much more compact and doesn't fall out of the pocket. While I don't have any M3** modules, M61LLL seems to do just fine on a single Li-Ion rechargeable 18350 cell. And it does run on a single 1x123 if that is what you prefer although it's not a 'battery vampire', runs out of regulation with a pretty decent runtime but seems to quit before it's completely depleted.

Yes the runtime is reduced, you lose 18650 compatibility but for the sake of compactness. Runtime of "Low" Malkoff modules like M61LL or M61LLL is so great that it's not an issue.