AW 17500 in Streamlight?

candlenewb

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, new to the forum but been lurking around for a while. I recently got a Streamlight Protac HL3 and already burned through a couple sets of CR123's so I want to look for a rechargeable alternative. From reading other posts and threads regarding the light, I see that people use it with "AW 17500". Can someone please point in the right direction for a reliable, quality set/charger of those batteries? I see alot of post that alot of online batteries are junk, and I'd hate to buy that. Thanks.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF
I don't have a Streamlight Protac HL3 yet but length of 3 primary CR123 is almost same length of 2 protected 17500
Also very similar diameter and voltage but little less capacity.
So you can use them without problem.
As you mentioned, AW brand is your first and best choice.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
As fivemega alluded to, AW is a brand name of Li-on cells, and has a premier reputation. Any good Li-on charger will be able to charge them. HKJ has tested a whole series of chargers, as well as the AW cells, and would be a good source of information to read.

candlenewb

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses guys! I'll order some AW brand batteries then.

im looking forward to learning more about lights as I'm a flashlight fan and love having bright lights for our camping and night dirt bike trips.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is nice to have a light blaster along camping when you are looking for what went bump in the night, but as many of use have learned, a one lumen light works much better in the tent/camper and on those trips to the necessary, and ten to twenty lumens is more than enough most of the time around the campfire. Check out a few of the lanterns too, like the Streamlight Siege. Very useful for area lighting.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people don't like the Nitecore intellicharger, but I'm very happy with mine. One of the most common complaints I see is the charger is too slow for some people, but I've never had an issue. For the price, it is a good product.

mudcamper

Newly Enlightened
Also very similar diameter and voltage but little less capacity.

Question. I thought CR123s are 3v CCV and lithium ions are 3.6. So 3 CR123s is 9v and 2 17500s is 7.2. Would this difference make for lower output?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question. I thought CR123s are 3v CCV and lithium ions are 3.6. So 3 CR123s is 9v and 2 17500s is 7.2. Would this difference make for lower output?

A lithium ion's nominal voltage is 3.7, but fresh off the charger they are 4.2. So, you're really looking at 8.4v when the batts are freshly charged. Since CR123's have greater voltage sag under loan than li-ions, the voltages are almost identical. This is why 9v incandescent setups work very well with 2 x lithium ions. Typically the output is the same.

mudcamper

Newly Enlightened
A lithium ion's nominal voltage is 3.7, but fresh off the charger they are 4.2. So, you're really looking at 8.4v when the batts are freshly charged. Since CR123's have greater voltage sag under loan than li-ions, the voltages are almost identical. This is why 9v incandescent setups work very well with 2 x lithium ions. Typically the output is the same.

Well, 4.2v OCV (open circuit voltage), not CCV (closed circuit voltage) under load. The larger sag of the primaries must account for this working. The primaries must be running well under 3v under load.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right, but li-ion cells sag much less than primaries. Unfortunately I can't search right now to find a thread proving that point, but I've read it here before.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, 4.2v OCV (open circuit voltage), not CCV (closed circuit voltage) under load. The larger sag of the primaries must account for this working. The primaries must be running well under 3v under load.

Your flashlight driver or LED never work under voltage of open circuit.
First you need to know battery current draw of your flashlight. Let's say, it's 2.5 Amps. Then check actual battery voltage under that current draw in battery section of this forums. Finally compare total voltage of 3 CR123A and 2 17500 then you will see 2 rechargeable cells have slightly higher voltage than 3 primaries under 2.5 Amps.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
2x17500s work quite well with the HL 3. The output with the AW cells looks slightly lower in this chart but I blame that on not positioning the light correctly. They maintain regulation longer and with less decline than the CR123s.

The primary batteries give the advantage of a longer tailing output as they are depleted.

20140412192554-4bc8c650.jpg

Last edited: