Help me pick a light

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dad's 4C mag corroded on the inside and asked me to recommend a replacement.

He wants a light to keep in the car and prefers flood over spot. He also likes a design that will stand on end or side to illuminate the engine compartment or tire. He kept saying "utility light".

Would like to keep it under $20 shipped.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think LED would be a good choice for obvious reasons, but will it be bright enough? My only experience with low priced LED lights is they are too dim for changing a tire or looking at an engine in the pitch black of a country road.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
this thing is quite bright for 7 LEDs and has a nice and even flood beam, is cheap, watertight, uses inexpensive batteries and is relatively small. Of course you won't get a Rolls Royce for that price, but yu know that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
bernhard

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad your limit is $20, I think Electrolumen's Anglelux for $60 is super!

Bright white, nice beam, easy on batteries (2-D's) stands on end...

GregR

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
my Arc AAA gives off enough light to change a tire..

in any case, the aforementioned SL 7LED will give off more than enough light to change a tire etc.

you could get something like a PT Blast or Rage and file the lanyard tab off.. and those things are under $10.. i'unno, maybe not enough flood there?

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
For brightness, what would the SL 4AA compare to?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
approx. Arc LSL albeit with a much wider beam pattern, a true flood. (it is quite overdriven)
bernhard

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
SL TT 1L? Think its just above $20. Lithium batts will last while being kept in the car too...

Quiqlite, Pelican Versabrite (only incan available) or one of those Squidlites (I think thats what they're called) are those I can think of that can stand on end... I almost forgot... the SL Clipmate as well! Not sure how much that goes for though...

Else would he consider a headlamp? Keeps his hands free while changing the tyres, etc.. Think the Black Diamond Ion is going for $18.95 at one of our sponsor's sites... Am sure there's lots of other headlamps for around that price too... Good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I asked about a headlamp and he didn't like that idea. He seemed to like the SL 4AA led, so I think that's what I'll get him.

I first thought of the TT 1/2L but batteries are a problem and the 4AA has a flat body and won't roll away. For some reason I just don't think my dad would like it. If it's not a simple straight forward design, like the lights at Wal Mart, he won't like it. He's old school. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

He did mention a light with a clip would be nice. I told him the price range and he said nevermind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, maybe you could look around and find a NUWAI version of the SL Clipmate. Am not sure, but it might be cheaper as well. I have a 2 LED (white) version, and its really very very handy. The Leds are not quite so white, kinda closer to (Craig's definition) 'cat green urine' color, but without comparing it side by side with another white LED, you wouldn't be able to tell much difference!
Doug has the review of the same light (in red LED) here, and this is Nuwai's page, scroll to the 'Led Cliplight' section, and the 321A-3 version is probably the one you may want... Interesting how they have their own exact same version of the SL Clipmate, huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Hope you find it in the shops!

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
tlk-

I know it's expensive ($60), but if your Dad likes the old GI style angle head light like mine does, I still have to suggest you check the Anglelux out. Updated by Wayne from Electrolumens with a 1W luxeon it's a whole different beast, nice bright white light, stands on it's end, it's not so pretty that he won't feel bad about setting on the ground or dropping it. It uses two very familiar D cells, runs a long time on them too. My Dad wont use a fancy or pretty light, but he likes that old familar GI light.

GregR

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see I'm outnumbered here, but I'd have to recommend any of the myriad of spotlights that go for 20 bucks or less. He can hook it to the lighter for extended runtime (well, most anyway). Heck, the light wouldn't even have to have a battery since you could just plug it in the lighter when you need to use it. The Coleman 2 million even has a picture of a guy changing a tire RIGHT ON THE PACKAGE. PERFECT IMHO.

cheese

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
For brightness, what would the SL 4AA compare to?

[/ QUOTE ]
Here is an old thread from last year where I asked about the SL4AA, and posted a beamshot with a few other lights.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's rare that I don't have 10 -12 lights with me, especially in the car, so it's difficult to narrow it down to one light; but if this is for changing a tire or working under the hood, then a clip, magnet or hook is a must. The darker it is, the less brightness you actually need.

I have a very simple 4 LED headlamp that I got as a gift for Xmas from Sams Club last year that was $20 and I'm amazed at how often that I use it when I want my hands to be free. I also carry an el cheapo 12V fluorescent plug-in in the trunk that I use when I do late jobs in my business. It's very bright and slim and has a hook. Wish I could still find them (anybody?).

Last, but not least, and my main reason for responding to this thread, is to say how under-rated I think the Streamlight ClipMate is. It's a 3 LED light that runs off of 3 AAA cells, has a good, fully adjustable clip, and a head band, too. And to sweeten the pot, WalMart carries a knockoff (camo) that sells for about $10. I haven't tried it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the same manf - the attachment system for the headband looks identical.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Working under the hood, with the LEDs poor color rendition, you can't tell if a wire is red or black-that's dangerous for obvious reasons.

You can't change a tire with a 3 LED light. You'll misplace all your tools and then because the light is so dim, you'll get run over by another car.

On another thread, one of the CPF members used his spotlight to re-direct traffic, which I'm not going to describe how I imagine that would work with an LED light.

Anyway, I'm trying to be funny, but also a bit serious.

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
What about a cheap 6 volt lantern, a number of them have faceted reflectors. Although they are probably more spot then flood but good brightness and easily replaceable.
A 3AA streamlight luxeon light might be a choice, more then $20 though.