Please recommend a 3D cell driver

Poppy

Flashaholic
I am looking to modify a 3D cell lantern so that it is regulated.

I'd like two or three outputs, no flashies.

I ordered a warm Cree XB-D emitter to put in there
http://www.cree.com/LED-Components-and-Modules/Products/XLamp/Discrete-Directional/XLamp-XBD

I'm thinking that 300ma 700ma and no more than 1000ma settings should work out pretty well, but am looking for advice.

That should give about 85, 150, and almost 200 emitter lumens.
I'm guessing that would get me about 22 hrs low, 10 hours med, and 6 hours high.

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, the Nanjg AK-47 is a good choice but you won't get those output levels out of the box. Modes will be more like 100% (1A), 50%, 5%.

You can re-program the AK-47 (as long as it has the ATtiny13 chip I think). Not something I have done myself but there are some who offer the service. I wouldn't really want to try anyway, AVR programing, SOIC8 cable etc, bit too much time to invest for me.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Hmm, the Nanjg AK-47 is a good choice but you won't get those output levels out of the box. Modes will be more like 100% (1A), 50%, 5%.

You can re-program the AK-47 (as long as it has the ATtiny13 chip I think). Not something I have done myself but there are some who offer the service. I wouldn't really want to try anyway, AVR programing, SOIC8 cable etc, bit too much time to invest for me.

Mr Floppy,
Thanks for the response.
I had looked at fasttech, and most of the drivers have listed voltages, and they are pretty narrow. It seems that most list voltages 3.0 - 4.2. But 3 fresh alkalines start at 4.8 maybe a hair more. Will a 3.0 - 4.5 Volt driver work, or do I need to be sure that it can take 5 volts?

Microa

Enlightened
The AMC7135 and the TINNY13A chips of the Nanjg AK-47a can accept maximum 6V input. Absolutely you don't have problem to work with 3 D cells.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the 7135 based driver.
They are some of the best on the market for 3.7V applications. You can change the max output on them simply by adding or removing chips too. The fresh cells are no problem at all with this driver as long as you heat sink it correctly. I even used 4 cell with these drivers on occasion, but they are less efficient that way. The store intl-outdoor.com has a very good selection of the 7135 based drivers. Board "AK-47C20 circuit" is about a 1 amp max and has similar modes.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Gentlemen,
Thank you for your responses.

I have a warm emitter coming in the mail, and after I swap it in, I'll see if I like the lantern enough to bother regulating it.

Again... thanks. :thumbsup: