Fenix LD50 Review

firelord777

Enlightened
Hey guys,

Fenix has been hard at work for some time now developing a unique type of flashlight, one that has been finally released with a uncommon form factor – side by side batteries.
Now, side-by-side battery formats have been around in the flashlight community for quite some time, there are several 3X18650 and 4X18650 flashlights that have their batteries side by side. That type of style provides smooth and round ergonomics for the human hand. However, the Fenix LD50's most attention grabbing aspect is the fact that it doesn't have 3 or more side by side batteries, rather, it has the unusual 2X18650/4XCR123 form.
rzd4VWS.jpg

R3znT2I.jpg

gQRBzGb.jpg

This attempt of innovation and experimenting with this side by side is nothing new from Fenix. Back then, they previously released the LD40, a 4XAA flashlight with similar form, which brought about mixed opinions among flashaholics, and other brands began experimenting with this type of style. The oldest light I can remember with this form is a very old Streamlight model.
LUyCsV3.jpg

So what makes this flashlight unique? Has Fenix produced a flashlight that is both competitive in terms of performance and yet, still maintain ease of use with its physical configuration? First, let's take a look at the specs:
Utilizes two Cree XM-L2 (U2) LEDs with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
·Powered by two 18650 rechargeable Li-ion battery or four 3V CR123A Lithium batteries
·138mm (Length) x 53mm (Width) x 27mm (Height)
·220-gram weight (excluding the battery)
·Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
·Low-voltage warning function to remind you to replace the battery
·Reverse polarity protection guards against improper battery installation
·Over-heat protection to avoid high-temperature of the surface
·Ultra compact flat body design
·Built-in belt clip
·Intuitive one-button operation
·Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating

First Impressions:
When one thinks of a flashlight, they usually think of a round, cylindrical battery tube, with a larger head and a button on the neck. I'm positive most don't conjure this image in their heads:
Ebyt0uG.jpg

lpemEA0.jpg

Depending on how you look at it, the LD50 looks either like a cell phone with no screen and two emitters at the front, or simply like, as most people would call it, two flashlights stuck together. Right away I could tell it would feel quite differently than the rest of my flashlights. However, different, does not necessarily mean worse. The way the LD50 feels is a very comfortable, strikingly similar to a modern smartphone. In fact, if you hold your own smartphone, you will know more or less how the LD50 feels, but the LD50 in the hand feels a tad more ergonomic, as in, it's as if it "fits" the inside of your hand.
4ogGJ0O.jpg

The right way to hold the LD50 comes surprisingly naturally, and if you hold it with a casual amount of pressure, it is actually fairly grippy. On the other hand, unlike conventionally shaped lights, the LD50 is less forgiving when you hold it vertically with little to no pressure and tends to slide out of your hand without warning. Fortunately, Fenix provides a holster, and a lanyard for two lines of defense against accidental drops, o-rings, a split ring, and an allen key to remove the clip. I would recommend using the lanyard as a precaution if you don't usually put lanyards on your lights.

Construction:
The LD50 comes with a generous amount of knurling surface area. There is knurling down the sides of the body, on the sides of the neck, tailcaps, and tail-end. Overall the LD50 does feel very solid and robust in the hand, and although it has a bit of heft to it, it can definitely tackle a wide range of conditions, especially in its intended outdoor market, where flashlights must be able to cope with low or high temperatures, getting wet, and any form of abuse while out in the field and still perform reliably.
5M9SPd1.jpg

ksm92x2.jpg

71lWosV.jpg

PNP2txo.jpg

The clip, though, may at first glance appear a bit out of place, which I mostly attribute to its shiny silver color. Lifting the clip and releasing it will make a strange, "tang" sound, rather than the usual brief "tic" of normal flashlight clips. The clip, nevertheless, is, in my opinion, noticeably stronger than most other clips. It is held in place by two screws that you can remove with the provided allen key, and the portion where the clip lifts up and snaps down to bite on whatever you're clipping the light to is below the battery walls, and I suppose that is a significant reason why the clip is strong.
dAGJwtX.jpg

My father is an A&P mechanic working as an Avionics Technician on the huge planes, and he's been taking the LD50 to work. He let me know his thoughts on the LD50's clip. He mentioned that he didn't have to use the holster because the clip was plenty strong to hold the light securely in place on his duty belt, and never worries about it falling out when working in tight spaces or dangerous heights.

For those who prefer holsters, the provided holster seems basic but durable. It has a very simplistic design compared to Fenix's past holsters, and appears to be tailored specifically to the LD50's shape. It lacks a Velcro, so it won't be as quick to attach or detach from a belt as a Velcro-equipped design. There are plenty of aftermarket holsters though, if you are looking for an especially sturdy holster for the light.
LuiQdmm.jpg

C4q2udO.jpg

qDNU7OK.jpg

GESdcA8.jpg

You may have also noticed that there are two oval, small-diameter cutouts in the body between the two battery tubes. This is mostly to save weight in my opinion, since there is more than enough mass to dissipate heat from the batteries.
0J33tvm.jpg

1GRNZWH.jpg

Size Comparisons:
Many people that I've lent the LD50 to point to first, its unusual, but comfortable design, and then, to how much light can come out of something so small. Sure, there are plenty of smaller, EDC sized lights that seem more impressive, but the LD50 is like an oversized version of them, with an, obviously, higher output. The LD50 does has its place, it isn't as mobile as those strong EDC companions, but provides performance a step above them.
kn3Fpzu.jpg

RMbsvIU.jpg

Here I wanted to show you fellows some size comparisons. From left to right: Fenix LD50, ArmyTek Predator V 1.2, Fenix TA21 (I wish they would make a flashlight like this again), Fenix LD41, and the Fenix TK41.
vOrgMqK.jpg

mzHcR1d.jpg

WgPLi0G.jpg

7b97Twd.jpg

7rF5A2I.jpg

Vbz7CaO.jpg

Beam Profile:
When I first turned on the LD50, I was impressed, not only by its output, but the neatness of the beam profile. I suspected that, having smooth reflectors, the LD50 would generate a beam with a chance of some anomaly. While artifacts aren't as common with the modern XM-L2s compared to the older LEDs of XP-Es, and XR-Es, sometimes, they can tend to create dimmer spots in the center of the beam, what we call "donut holes". This is present to some degree on my ArmyTek and Klarus XT20, but they usually aren't very noticeable.
Nonetheless, Fenix must have put in a good deal of time and research creating a clean, defined beam pattern with smooth reflectors and will show you guys in a few beamshots what I mean. Most XM-L/XM-L2 lights I have either have a textured reflector to smooth out the beam, or smooth reflectors to give good throw like in the Olight S20 and M21 respectively. Tint wise, my sample was no doubt cool-white, no sign of yellow or green even when looking really hard for these colors.
The best description of the LD50 beam pattern would be a very clean, defined hotspot with a clear but smooth transition to the corona and then on to the spill. Unfortunately for you fellows, my white wall was painted green, so my beamshots will have a nasty green tint to them. But know that that the purpose of the beamshots was not to deliberately cause shockwaves of mass confusion and disinformation on CPF, but to demonstrate the beam pattern that I was describing compared to other lights.
I will be showing in the beamshots the LD50, Klarus XT20, Fenix LD41, and Olight S20.
m1E2iiL.jpg

Byl5ts9.jpg

82CUjt3.jpg

A8LHAfz.jpg

GCsXVjn.jpg

Fenix LD50:
hKbaaXX.jpg

ZMewsqQ.jpg

YnolM3J.jpg

Klarus XT20:
hgSCZXA.jpg

wYlg1yL.jpg

U7ti5uq.jpg

Fenix LD41:
sYoOxxT.jpg

BQs4lnX.jpg

lX3srfk.jpg

Olight S20:
YFrFud1.jpg

meZFG89.jpg

4MbjinV.jpg

When it comes to output, the LD50 and XT20 are obviously the higher ranking of the bunch. Both very similar lights, they both use 2X18650s, both have two distinct reflectors for each of the two emitters, but they have their differences. Rated at 1200 lumens, the XM-L equipped XT20 certainly is bright, but is surpassed by the Fenix's 1800 lumens. However, the 600 lumen difference is noticeable, but not as drastic as you may think. The XT20 is, after all, an older light using the older generation XM-L emitters.
In terms of beam profile, as I've mentioned, the XT20 has a slightly dimmer spot in the middle of the hotspot. The throw between the LD50 and XT20 is similar, but the XT20, despite having a less clean beam, has a definite edge over the LD50 thanks to a tighter central beam. The LD50, having a larger hotspot, holds close in throw to the XT20 by sheer lumens.
Klarus has since released an updated XT20, rated at 1550 lumens, so performance and beam pattern is very likely to have improved. Depending on what you prefer, structural form, beam pattern, and beam range may be the deal breaker between the two great lights.
Outdoor Beamshots:
Fenix LD50:
chApJoi.jpg

B2XVzjz.jpg

kihxNsf.jpg

f9SnBDh.jpg

nJJFJv1.jpg

Klarus XT20:
lCDRxvm.jpg

Olight M21:
HhF1wgf.jpg

LD50
ln7f5V0.jpg

XT20
ZOGIgJf.jpg

M21
VdotdaQ.jpg

Conclusion:
The LD50 is a handy flashlight that can be comfortable, versatile, and reliable. The UI is rather straightforward. To turn it on, you press and hold the one and only button for one second, and to change modes a quick tap will take you through the mode cycle. This is particularly handy to prevent accidental activation in pockets or any other storage areas, but may perplex a few people such as my mom when tapping the power button instead of pressing and holding, and having to show them how to turn it on.:confused:
cxmtzzm.jpg

The lowest mode, what Fenix calls "Eco", is good enough to take trips to the bathroom and navigate around dark areas, illuminating a decent range in front of you. The only downside is that this 25 lumen mode is possibly too bright and you will have to compromise some night vision.
Regarding the other modes, I would say that they are honestly well-spaced out, each subsequent level is a noticeable step up from the previous mode, and that is what I also enjoy from the LD50.
One of the main features that Fenix highlights is the independent channels. In other words, you can use one emitter or both. For instance, if you only have one 18650 battery on hand, the light will still work, and only the corresponding emitter will operate. On turbo, the LD50 can still compete with other powerful single 18650 flashlights in the output department.
9LkE4Xc.jpg

RSSJujj.jpg

A major point that was brought up by several members was the LD50's step-down timer. Fenix, along with many other brands, often include this on various high-output lights, where intense heat can damage LEDs or shorten their lifespans, especially if used in less than ideal conditions for heat dissipation such as enclosed areas with little to no air circulation. Users can bypass this timer by simply reactivating turbo mode, but at their own risk and judgment.
Many folks don't like the idea of exposing their flashlights to water even though it is specified to be water resistant, but chill out, the LD50 can handle a pool party every now and then:
8mlm31Z.jpg

07pjwxX.jpg

1Dwumnl.jpg

qSOHT7f.jpg

FVZLkOq.jpg

qolpP8O.jpg

WPFlSI5.jpg

Well, there you have it. Through a refined design, through a high output to size ratio, and through versatile features, Fenix offers a unique flashlight that can adapt to many uses, from a tough work light, to a fearless outdoor camping companion.
If you guys have any questions or request please let me know or send me a PM, thanks for reading!:thumbsup:
---Fenix LD50 provided for review---
-Alain
PS- Here's my companion when taking pictures for the review, he wanted to say hi and let you guys know he's a new flashaholic.:devil:
0SutJGm.jpg

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will admit toy being a bit less sceptical after seeing the size and beamshots, especially comparing the size with the LD41.

Not sure if it's my cup of tea, though... Do you have a TK35 UE to compare with? That's it's closest Fenix equivalent.

den331

Newly Enlightened
I JUST GOT FROM THE MAIL MY NEW LD50 VERY NICE ! . I OWNED TK35UE ,TK75, THIS LD50 IS THE BEST LUMEN TO WEIGHT RATIO LIGHT. VERY SATISFIED .. MY ONLY CONCERN IS THE (LOW BATTERY FUNCTION WILL BLINK 3 TIMES) ON MY OTHER FENIX LIGHTS IT BLINKS IF THE BATTERY IS LOW. BUT ON MY LD50 IT DOSEN"T BLINK IF THE BATTERY IS LOW OR CANNOT GO UP TO THE 2ND POWER LEVEL. PLEASE HELP THANKS

Photon

Newly Enlightened
The UI always starts out in Turbo (1800 lumen) mode. Hmmm. At least the PD35 starts out in last-used mode.

firelord777

Enlightened
Hey guys,

Thanks a ton for the kind comments! I wasn't able to see your posts, first because I forgot to subscribe, and second, without notifications, my schooling really consumed most of my time. Lots of math and chemistry, while interesting, had me staying up all night everyday studying. So naturally, I started wondering why I hadn't received any responses/questions, so I checked manually and discovered all these posts. Sorry about my brief disappearance guys;)

Thanks again and let me know if you have any questions:D

I'll try an get that picture of the light

jmsodpc

Newly Enlightened
i have this light and like it very much. i keep it next to my nightstand and use it every chance i can get. definitely a nice item thats made very well.

firelord777

Enlightened
i have this light and like it very much. i keep it next to my nightstand and use it every chance i can get. definitely a nice item thats made very well.

I'm glad you like it! It's on my night stand as well;)