What's a realistic distance

brawler1588

Newly Enlightened
I live in ny pretty woodsy but some decent straight shots. So I'm just wondering whats a realistic distance you need to use a flashlight I would like everyone's input from where ever you live and wherever you use it just want a mix of info and what color do you like cool or neutral xml2 mtg2 throw or floody. Thanks everyone.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spot deer in the open fields from a 100 yards with about 20,000 cd ( lux@1m).

As soon as the hotspot from the light hits a tree close by,
it reflects back towards me making it difficult to see.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I live in central Phoenix, so I don't need a ton of throw. If my flashlight (or bicycle light) can throw one block, then I'm good. I tend towards floody lights in lieu of throwers

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I live in ny pretty woodsy but some decent straight shots. So I'm just wondering whats a realistic distance you need to use a flashlight I would like everyone's input from where ever you live and wherever you use it just want a mix of info and what color do you like cool or neutral xml2 mtg2 throw or floody. Thanks everyone.

I need to use flashlights at ranges of up to about a mile and a half or so...once in a while. I also need to use them right in front of me...once in a while. The rest of the time is mostly between those two distances.

YOU really need to think about what YOU will be doing with it, and what's out by you that you'd like to be able to see, that you can't because its too dark.

One thing to also remember is that the "ranges" they list in the flashlight's specs are USELESS at long ranges....so if they claim "1,500 meters of throw", in USE, it might not do any good for you unless what you are trying to find is closer to 150 meters than to 1,500 meters.

For EASY TO SEE stuff (White barn walls, etc...) you would chop the spec in HALF (You might see the white barn wall at 750 meters if the light claims 1,500 meters for example.

You might see a RED barn wall at 350 meters with that same light. You might see a guy wearing a red shirt laying on the ground at ~ 150 meters with that same light, and so forth.

:candle:

So, asking what a good range is, w/o what's being looked at/for AT that range, is not going to help as much as you'd hoped....even if you get lots of answers, its to the wrong question. :D

Think about where YOU go, and what YOU MIGHT DO, and go from there.

If you come up with a guess (You CAN Google Earth for distances at known locations you're familiar with if you have no clue somethings are from you, etc...) as to a range, and, some examples of what you'd WANT TO be able to see at that range....we can then steer you towards cd ratings, etc.

:D

mudcamper

Newly Enlightened
Well, like TEEJ says, it's more of what you want than anything, especially with regard to tint. Personally, I like cool white. I like the floody XML-2 U2 LED, but I like it installed in a good reflector that gives a lot of throw as well. And my preference is for single 18650 cell lights and smaller.

I live in a rural residential area, but very near a small city (population 7000 or so). The lot sizes around me average 2 to 8 acres. Some field. Some trees. In town not too far away it's typical American suburban housing and strip mall type usage. So more often than not, you only have about 100 yards unobstructed. Sometimes 200, and less often out to 400 yards or more. For the 100 yard distances, most of the single 18650 "tactical" type lights work great. My Nitecore SRT7 (rated 300 ANSI meter) also works well out to 200 yards. My new Eagletac M25C2 (rated 500 ANSI meter) works AWESOME at 200 yards. At 400 yards (on a clear night, no fog, pollen, etc.) it still works quite well. The "barn walls" are lit up quite reasonably. Trees are distinguishable. People or animals are detectable if they are moving or looking at you.

There are so many good lights to choose from these days. It's impossible to make a specific suggestion, other than try one (or more!) and have fun.