My First Zebralight

mudcamper

Newly Enlightened
My initial reaction to Zebralights was, those are fugly! And what a strange user interface they have.

But after a couple of glowing reviews by selfbuilt, I decided to try one. I pickup up an SC62 in cool white. I've had it for just a few days now.

I LOVE this light! And here's what I have to say about the user interface. I wish I could change ALL my other lights to use this UI!

This light is a tiny pocket-able light, that packs 1000 lumens. (Yeah, it's floody as heck, because the reflector is so small, but I knew that going in.) The grey anodizing feels tougher than all my other black Chinese lights.

And the UI. SO incredibly convenient. I can get to any mode, with only one hand, within a second. And I can get to full power instantly with a simple click (was a requirement for me for tactical use). And being able to reconfigure all the secondary brightness levels to whatever I want is something I have been wanting forever.

Great light. Highly recommended.

Wow CPFers are so polite about not thread-jacking that I have to post here to say, go ahead and thread-jack! This thread is just about Zebralights in general. Any and all ZL discussion is welcome. :) Originally I would have just posted in the SC62w First Impressions thread, but it's first post specifically said, "I am starting this thread for the SC62w only", and I didn't buy a w, so here we are...

Last edited:

Tapis

Enlightened
Waiting for mine in the mail. My only fear is that it could be somehow complicated for people not familiar with technical devices. I gave my in-laws a Fenix PD32 and they're now comfortable with the tail click and side-switching modes. But it could be a bit hard to teach them double and triple clicking, like on a computer mouse which they don't have much sympathy for.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly I disliked side switches and I wasn't sure if the SC62w would be the light for me. I was happily EDCing the Surefire E1DL but it has since been replaced by the SC62w. I like the small compact size coupled with an 18650. Although I very much prefers the UI of my HDS Rotary, the Zebralight UI isn't too bad. It is probably one of the most logical UI besides the rotary interface of the HDS. My biggest love of the SC62w has to do with the beam. I always like a floody profile for general use and this light has one of the most beautiful beam profile I have ever seen. The neutral tint is nice and almost Nichia 219 like. Couldn't be happier with this purchase.

markr6

Flashaholic
Yeah, the SC62w really put the brakes on for me...what else to buy? I'm literally bored now, so I purchased a new charger and batteries. I guess that's a good thing, putting a cap on my spending :)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the SC62w really put the brakes on for me...what else to buy? I'm literally bored now, so I purchased a new charger and batteries. I guess that's a good thing, putting a cap on my spending :)

Yes, the quest for the perfect EDC never ends....
Ain't this the truth? There is always something not quite right but then manufacturers could never please everyone. We flashaholics on the other hand are spoilt for choice with the multitude of offerings. Like markr6, I too am putting a brake and looking at more batteries and charger.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would LOVE to see a ZL with a tail clicky with this interface. It would add length though...

Very happy with all my ZL's.

The fact that folks here are not really talking up a tailswitch ZL does not bode well for its future, based on past perspective. Hopefully I am wrong, and the design is innovative and popular.

As far as the SC62w being superior in tint to the SC62d, well... Some say yes. I say it's an XML series, and browns will probably not be represented as well as the SC62d does it.

My first ZebraLight was a horribly tinted (green) SC52, but the user interface and other features won me over, and the 62d is my nightly user around the house and to a lesser extent, in the field.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as the SC62w being superior in tint to the SC62d, well... Some say yes. I say it's an XML series, and browns will probably not be represented as well as the SC62d does it.
Just curious... Have you got an SC62w to compare with the SC62d? Or is it just a conjecture on your part?

markr6

Flashaholic
Just curious... Have you got an SC62w to compare with the SC62d? Or is it just a conjecture on your part?

I've compared both. It depends 100% on the tint lottery with the XM-L2 on the SC62w. If you get a good one, I think it's better than the SC62d. I sold my SC62d even though the tint was a nice 5000K neutral white with higher CRI. But my SC62w was also a nice tint with much more output so I didn't need both.

CMAG

Enlightened
Even better than the SC62 is the SC600, when you add a Dark Sucks clip and use a Oveready copper wavy washer inside the tail cap to allow the electrons to flow again.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Your input has always been valuable to me; Even your perspective on NiteCore. By my stating that 'browns WILL PROBABLY not be represented as well as the SC62d', I expected folks to know that I have not jumped on the latest, greatest ZL.

Now I get to ask you: Have you compared these two fine torches, looking at different shades of brown and comparing them with the light of day? Neither my XML2 T6 3C or a 003 lilac tint filtered PDTn dedomed XML2 can get the browns really well; Good, but not REALLY well. Maybe your SC62w nails it. How about you get back with us (on the SC62w thread) and fill us in on your perspective. I have always appreciated you reporting on the multitude of flashlights that you have.

and Thanks markr6 for your first hand experience.

Let's hear from others about their first ZebraLight.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
CMAG, could you elaborate on the placement and function of the wavy washer? Thank You very much for the pictures. It looks great and gets rid of the less than ideal stock clip.

mudcamper

Newly Enlightened
Even better than the SC62 is the SC600, when you add a Dark Sucks clip and use a Oveready copper wavy washer inside the tail cap to allow the electrons to flow again.

I still prefer the SC62, as I am looking for the smallest possible form factor, and the SC62 is significantly smaller.

zebras-Markr6-CPF.jpg

(image by CPF user Markr6)

Last edited:

CMAG

Enlightened
CMAG, could you elaborate on the placement and function of the wavy washer? Thank You very much for the pictures. It looks great and gets rid of the less than ideal stock clip.
I am very happy with the results. After I found the clip fit like a glove the torch was in lock out. the wavy washer is perfect because it's spring action allows the tail cap to be tightened good so the clip is secure and make contact.
The washer like the clip is also a perfect fit, around the spring so it sits in the bottom of the tail cap. As long as you keep torch upright when installing or changing cells so washer does fall out.