What do YOU consider the quality vs. price ranges of lights?

Paradigmonds

Newly Enlightened
Hello gents ( and ladies, of course ),

I've got a quick question for you that will hopefully make sense after I explain a little bit.

I got into lights back during my military service, but sort of let my interest fade. However, I've just recently garnered an interest in higher end lights once again, as my wife and I recently bought a large tract of fully wooded land, and over the past 9 months we are often working out there late into the evening. A quality torch makes all the difference in the world when you're making a 20 minute trek through thickets and brush, carrying chainsaw, machetes, and various other gear. Also, once we build our house and live out there, I am certain that I will need a collection of high quality flashlights on hand for a variety of reasons.

So, to get into my question.......one thing that I have learned with all of my hobby/interests over the years is that there are distinct price/quality groups that one runs into when dealing with individuals who are "into" a particular product.

As I'm sure many others on this forum are, I am a pretty avid knife collector, so to give an example of what I'm referring to, a person who is not into knives will go buy a Kershaw Leek or a CRKT Aluminum Ripple at the store for <$50 and think they got a pretty awesome knife. Thats not to say that either knife is a bad knife, but they think of it as good because its likely the first decently made knife they have ever owned. They may have owned a few Chinese gas-station junk knives previously, or even a Case that they found in their dad's desk drawer years before, but they easily recognize that this purchase is something better. Now, if I show that same person a $700 Pohan Leu custom Bluephin or a $1600 Busse NMFBM-LE, they would think that only a crazy person would pay that kind of money for a knife.

As a person who is into knives, my perception is slightly different:

< $70 -- Most knives under $70, if I buy them, are either to simply play with, to beat up, or for projects. That's not to say that good knives can't be made for under $70, but they generally aren't what I am looking for.

$70-$249 -- Just like many knife collectors, I have dozens of knives in this range -- Benchmades, Spydercos, Boker, etc. Some very good quality knives in this range, but still room to improve. To me, this is the entry level into collecting quality knives.

$250-$400 -- A range that still includes some newer knife enthusiasts - includes some lower price range custom knives, some Limited Edition Productions -- many are pretty likely to have higher end steels, be more refined, better fit/finish, but its still very possible to get ripped off with a mediocre, or worse, knife in this price range if you don't know what you are doing

$400-$800 -- This is where you start to lose a lot of the non-hardcore collectors -- Quite a few good customs and some of the pricier Ltd Edition Production knives. Most people who buy knives in this price range know what they are looking for and are very familiar with knives and knife collecting

$800-$2000 -- With the exception of Busse and a few other pricey production knives, this tends to be the domain of many custom makers. This is the area where I VERY carefully consider all purchases because I start to feel like the value of the purchase is being overshadowed by the price. Not that I don't consider a $400 purchase very carefully, as well, but I'm more easily able to justify a knife's value at $400. At $1600, you're paying for more than just the product. You are paying for rarity, for the maker's time, etc.

$2000+ -- In my opinion, this is simply ridiculous. Of course there are many collectors who consistently make purchases in this upper range. Most of the knives in this range are priced as such because they are either extremely rare or retain a value far beyond simple aesthetic appeal and basic utility. I recently saw a Flavio Ikoma custom selling for $14,000 ( and someone bought it!! ) So, yes, there is a market for custom knives in this price range, but it simply is not, nor will it ever likely be, something that I have an interest in.

I know that there is always some overlap, and the more ranges you add and the more specific you are, the more overlap there is between groups.

Here is the caveat, though. Just because those ranges represent vague thresholds to me, doesn't mean that someone else might not have different idea of where price/value intersect.

What I would like to know, from anyone who wants to take the time to answer, is what ranges of price do you think correspond to levels of quality in the flashlight world. I have no doubt that there is probably an $8,000 flashlight out there that someone thinks is the most amazing thing ever to be bestowed upon man, but just as with knives, I'll bet that 95% of even the most avid flashlight collectors are content to admire it from afar.

So, for avid collectors, what are the price ranges that you feel comfortable paying in order to get a good quality, great quality, and a top-notch incredible product?

Thanks for any info.

W

Poppy

Flashaholic
my wife and I recently bought a large tract of fully wooded land, and over the past 9 months we are often working out there late into the evening. A quality torch makes all the difference in the world when you're making a 20 minute trek through thickets and brush, carrying chainsaw, machetes, and various other gear. Also, once we build our house and live out there, I am certain that I will need a collection of high quality flashlights on hand for a variety of reasons.
W
It sounds to me that you need a collection of lights as TOOLS, NOT lights as collectables. At least not at this time.

Lights vary too much in size and function, besides fit and finish, and like knives different metals, to be able to simply answer your question.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, depending on features/warranty/durability, the $50-$200 market is the sweet spot for flashlights. Three primary companies I recommend you check are Surefire, Malkoff, and Elzetta. All three are made in the USA, come with lifetime warranties, and are extremely durable. There's no need to spend $200+ on a light unless you want a custom build from Spy or McGizmo.

A Surefire G2X Pro can be picked up for around $50, and Surefire will warranty that light, come hell or high water, for life - period. A Malkoff Hound Dog or Wildcat can be picked up for around $150, and Gene will warranty the light no matter what as long as he is alive. A Surefire P3X Fury will get you to 1,000 lumens at around $175. The Elzetta Charlie with AVS head is around $200 and also gets you in the 1,000 lumen ballpark.

These are just some examples.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
A light is very much different to a knife as a $1 light still lights up as much as a $100 light albeit quality wise will be very different but a $1 knife will be as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

With lighting technology changing so fast imo no point in spending loads of shekels on lights.

archimedes

Flashaholic
So, for avid collectors, what are the price ranges that you feel comfortable paying in order to get a good quality, great quality, and a top-notch incredible product?....

Actually, you could just substitute in the word "flashlight" in your OP above, and your listed pricing categories would be pretty much right on ... :thinking:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, you could just substitute in the word "flashlight" in your OP above, and your listed pricing categories would be pretty much right on ... :thinking:

You must search different vendor sites to me,the pricing of knives is way different to flash lights.

Paradigmonds

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the replies!

The first reply post is correct in that I will be purchasing a number of flashlights to be used as tools to be used, not as collectibles. I'm generally the same way with knives. Some of my pricier pieces that many a collector would keep locked away in a safe, I choose to carry and/or use. Sure, I do have a couple of knives that I haven't had the heart to use just yet, but if the situation warranted it and I didn't have another knife on hand, I can't see not using an knife just in an effort to keep it pristine. At one time, I did have a bunch of safe-queens, but I started veering toward the type of collector who is only buying knives as investments and for their resale value, and while there is nothing wrong with that, I am too much of an outdoorsman and use knives too often to not utilize thousands of dollars worth of quality steel.

I only have one decent torch right now. Its a Streamlight Pro-Tac HL. It has a reasonable light output, but it gets hot very quickly and the battery time is not very long. In the near future, I'm going to be looking to get 3 or 4 lights that we be used for specific purposes.

For example, I'm going to want one light that will produce a very bright ( 2000+ lumens ), long throw, focused beam. I'm going to want another handheld torch that can put out double or more the lumen output of this Streamlight HL in a compact package, that also has a good strobe. Then, I'm going to want a very bright, very wide dispersion light that I can use to hopefully clearly light up an area that is about 150 ft by 200 ft. After I look around and do some more research, I'll come back and make either a single or a couple of posts that gets into much more specific detail about the sizes and specs of what I'm looking for.

A few that I've recently been looking at:

Surefire M6LT
Fenix TK22
Nitecore P20

Fenix TK75 & TK76 & RC40
Nitecore EAX Hammer
Nitecore TM26

Jetbeam SRA40
Zebralight SC600w MkII

If any of these are unanimously disliked by the folks in the know............let me know!

I'm also interested in the Powertac Hero because I generally carry a recharge pack when I'm out in the woods, but it would be nice to have a recharge pack that is also a decent flashlight ( and vice versa ).

Anyhow, thanks again for the replies. I will be around, trying to learn from the pros and doing some research.

Have a good one!

W

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF. Reading your post above, you're interested in function more than cost. There could be a range of prices of lights that meet the criteria, but you want to start by looking at lights that satisfy the intended purpose. If I understand you correctly, you want to know if there are special lights that meet (or exceed) your specific requirements and may cost a premium. If that is your intent, you've come to the right place.

When you look at lights that throw, you are more interested in candela than lumens. A lot of lumens spread out don't provide that fewer lumens in a concentrated beam will throw. An aspheric lens is one approach to get a concentrated beam. Dedoming the emitter is a mod that will also provide more throw. I would suggest you have a look at Saabluster's OneStopThrowShop and Vinh's threads for some modded throwers at reasonable cost. Nailbender is another good builder. These modded lights provide better performance than stock lights at a reasonable price, IMHO.

For the floody light, there are several options. The Malkoff Wildcat V5 with the MTG2 emitter is very, very floody and bright. Being a Malkoff, it also very robust. I have one with the MD4 body (2 X 18650) and it is a beast. There are other stock lights with the MTG2 that would meet your needs. Saabluster's Rev Captor is modded light that provides an extremely wide beam with a neutral tint. I have one and it is truly amazing - wide, bright beam.

Both Saabluster/OneStopThrowShop and Vinh have their own subforums in the custom builders section. You can also use the search function to find reviews of these lights and the lights listed in your post above.

Bob Damon

Enlightened
I will share what I found to be a big help when I was first learning about lights, reading the flashlight reviews by the user Selfbuilt. He creates very detailed reviews and you can really find out about user interfaces, the way different brands regulate their light, and how a light compares to similar lights. I would start with the review on the Pro-Tac HL. From what I remember the Pro-Tac HL is not well regulated and drops off quickly from max lumens.

Wellgate

Newly Enlightened
This is quite simple to me: what the price I am prepared to pay for a perceived quality, defined as ability to meet needs.

The needs can be functional such as application; they can be intangible such as brand support; they can demonstrate an attitude to risk (reckless spontaneous purchase vs analytical assessment of needs) or simply ego-driven. Some buy for investment, others for gratification, and maybe even a few buy to use the device for its intended purpose ;-)

Last edited:

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't see myself spending much more than $150 on a light. There's plenty of them that do well for that price and i don't like to have lights as shelf queens. If i spend much more than $150 on a light, that light will never be used much or at all.

a1mu1e

Newly Enlightened
With a bit of experience in both knives and flashlights, though leaning towards the latter, I'd say that the curve peaks a bit earlier for flashlights. By this, I mean that (IMHO) exceeding 150-200$ in flashlights just gives you polish, looks, or unnecessarily high output. If I had that kind of money I would love all of those things, but for your uses as a tool I'd stick to there for now. Some lights in that range really have great quality.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.streamlight.com/en-gb/product/product.html?pid=180

Lifetime Warranty, 275 Meters Throw, 1 Meter Water, 3 Meters Impact, Excellent UI ( I have set to High Only ), weapon mountable, 3 contact shocks, Just did a 2 meter 2 hour water test with 100 submerged clicks, didn't blink. NICE Throw. 3 Hours ANSI - 275 Lumens

$43.00 / Personal perceived worth - $55.00

http://www.hdssystems.com/Products/...lens=Lg&body=Bsb&button=F&battery=123&clip=Cb

HDS 325 Clicky - Cerakote

Best light on the planet. We should all pitch in and build Henry a throne. Nuff said.

$362.00 / Personal perceived worth - $425

http://www.gpknives.com/spyderco-gayle-bradley-carbon-fiber.html

Folding fixed blade, Taichung production, M4 Steel, Bombproof

$147.00 / Personal perceived worth - $325

Last edited:

tandem

Enlightened
Paradigmonds, my feeling is you can provide for your needs without raising spending to nosebleed levels.

Ignoring some key chain lights, probably my cheapest work and daily carry light is the SC600 Mk II ($95 US). Fits in a pocket better than my others.

In the same price ball park my Malkoff MD2 hi/low light is one of my main work lights. As I have it configured it maxes out at 325 lumens which is far less than the SC600's top end, but it's simple, sturdy, and I can do a lot of productive work at night with a Malkoff running full tilt for hours at a time without it getting hot.

Stepping up a bit more in cost a custom coated bored SureFire 6P with a Malkoff drop-in is one of my all time favourite lights even though it also tops out at ~325 lumens (like the MD2 with M61 inside). One advantage is that there are other drop-ins available for the SureFire P60 form factor. Need more output, buy an appropriate drop-in. Need less output and more runtime instead? Switch drop in. Need a throwier beam? Switch drop in. (Or have multiple bodies and don't switch, of course.) Need more runtime with full regulated output? Add an 18650 extension tube. Or just carry a spare cell in an appropriate container (or in another light, naturally).

Years later I still like the Lego approach. I also like that I've got multiple bodies of the same type; should a tail switch fail I can swap parts and get by. I can add extension tubes to any body and extend run time. I like that all my lithium powered lights can run off the same 18650 cell form factor.

Custom boring is offered by some CPF family here; customized bored turn-key lights from Overready (I have three) can be further duded up with all manner of options at additional cost.

Between the bored SureFires (or new ready-to-run with 18650 cell SureFire lights), various Malkoff light modules and fully assembled flashlights, you can cover a lot of your needs spectrum with very solidly constructed lights that will last a life time. And... for not a lot of money. You might consider adding a Zebralight (or SureFire) headlamp into the mix too as there are times when hands-free is critical. I quite like the 1xAA powered Zebralight headlamps - smaller and lighter in weight than the 18650 powered equivalent.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I could afford them, I spent $$ on custom knives. I am all about quality vs, quantity. My EDC flashlight has been for many years now, since it has arrived in fact, has been a McGizmo Haiku.

You will buy & try a variety of lights, and find what you love the most. Kind of like what you did with knives, know what I mean?

Several years ago, I picked up a Prometheus Blue Label. It isn't an EDC, but it is a GREAT light. It is an amazing rechargeable light.