Surefire 6P / 9P high/low tailcap options?

Kaban

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I just acquired an awesome Surefire 9P from a great CPF member. It has a Malkoff M91W drop-in installed.

My question is this, is there any original Surefire tail cap or an aftermarket one that I can install that will give me high/low modes?

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to know that myself. Another great cpf member just GAVE me a fivemega tube that holds 3 cr123's. my head is spinning from all the possibilities, like oveready's copper heads, or fivemega's gold plated tail caps. i think niteeye's used to make a cap with an led in it so you can find it in the dark, and it gave you several ui options, but that was strictly for a maglite. i think i'll get the solar force k3 mt-g2 head and probably wait for this thread to get more tail cap ideas

flashlight nut

Enlightened
The Surefire Kroma has a two stage tail cap for low/high. The problem is that Surefire does not sell individual tail caps. They pop up now and then on the Market Place.

plaguem

Enlightened
I don't think there are many options available for this. Mcgizmo had a switch last time called the mce2s which I think could be modded to fit into a z41 but those are hard to come by now.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I acquired an mce2s recently after looking for a long time for a way to do what you're asking.

That said, an Elzetta tail cap may do it. You'd need to so some reading in the Elzetta thread to verify one way or another.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are mixing two "things":

1st: led insert ... is it multimode or not?

2nd: tailcap (switch) ... get a suiting tailcap with McKlicky (forward) switch from oveready.com

if led insert is not multimode --> no multimode ... no matter what tailcap switch
PS: M91 is single mode, imho

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I have used the tail from an AZ2 with that combo and it works... although I would probably describe the levels as high/higher instead of high/low.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kaban,
Just to nit-pick; if you are looking for one of the long-discontinued-and-never-to-return McGizmo-made 2-stage tailcaps for your 9P, you should search for an McC2S. The previously-mentioned McE2s two-stage tailcap was for the Surefire E-series.

yellow,
Even though the vast majority of the Malkoff drop-ins are made as a single-mode, they can be set up to function reliably as multi-modes. I have a single-mode Malkoff drop-in in a Malkoff light with the hi-lo ring, and I have another Malkoff single-mode drop-in that I put in a Surefire host that I added a Kroma tailcap to.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yellow,

The Surefire, Malkoff, Elzetta, and McGizmo solutions being discussed in this thread were all designed specifically to work with single mode drop ins. They all basically put a resistor in the circuit to cut voltage to the drop in, resulting in a lower output.

You are mixing two "things":

1st: led insert ... is it multimode or not?

2nd: tailcap (switch) ... get a suiting tailcap with McKlicky (forward) switch from oveready.com

if led insert is not multimode --> no multimode ... no matter what tailcap switch
PS: M91 is single mode, imho

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
That said, an Elzetta tail cap may do it. You'd need to so some reading in the Elzetta thread to verify one way or another.

The threads themselves are compatible but Elzetta uses a shorter tailcap threaded section, so it looks rather like a guy wearing pants several sizes to short.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
when it works ...
:thinking:
hp says that when insert(s) are in undervoltage, will else flash, or turn off.

this time I can not say from personal experience (which I prefer), because I never got the urge to order a Malkoff, when there are nailbenders fully individualisable real multimode inserts available ...
;)

PS: wouldnt 2 outputs by a single resistor in the tailcap mean, that there is no real regulation?
There surely are members who critic all (lower end) makers heavily for such (even when it does not count in use)