Need help with flashlight coating --> short circuit

Raftingtigger

Newly Enlightened
I bought a SolarStorm D00 (http://www.dx.com/p/solarstorm-d00-...ght-black-1-x-18650-26650-258657#.VCxWrRa0f0U) from ?? (not DX). It looks solid and is very bright. When I took it diving (after water and pressure testing) 2 things happened. First, I couldn't turn it off without unscrewing the back cap more than I was willing to; and second, the anodized coating was flaking off.

As best as I can tell there is some intermitent connection when the screw back/switch is very loose. This seems to settle down when it gets close to a watertight position. When above water the light will come on if the tailcap is pushed toward the front. Backing off the tail cap a little more prevents this. Clearly there is a little slop and a connection happens if axial pressure is applied. I can live with this if I have to - I'll just turn the light on high and leave it that way for the whole dive. I have changed the o-rings from the original silicon to Nitrile D70s. This didn't help with the flicker issue.

The more concerning problem is with the anodized coating. The intact coating is needed to keep the light from coming on with any tail cap position. Right now the coating is OK in the needed areas. The coating inside the tailcap does 2 things. Prevents connection until the tailcap is fully tightened, and acts as the o-ring sealing surface.

Any thought on how to re-do the coating? Anything I do needs to be smooth enough to act as the sealing surface, and even better - to be thin enough to coat the threaded surfaces.

I really like the light. It is compact, very bright, takes a front diffusing filter easily, and has a ample battery capacity. Eventually I would like to bypass all modes but high and off, but that is a later project.

Thanks

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very little you can do to renew the anodize coating beside having it stripped and redone.

KG Coatings sells GunKote in different colors and is abrasion resistant, and non-conductive. The plus side to GunKote is that it sprays on very thin, less than .001" thick. There are a few different versions, an air cure version and a oven cure version.

www.kgcoatings.com