Microsoft put a keylogger in the new Windows 10 preview release

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XjCA9q7WsQ

I was lulled into not reading the privacy policy myself due to their phrasing about that this step was a boring step or something. But I thought it was a joke when people were saying windows 10 has a keylogger in it until I checked for myself. I seriously hope microsoft get a lot of crap for doing this. They should NEVER log what you type. It is not required for them to get feedback on the operating system. I am furious that they have done this.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The License Agreement is making you agree to this, and that's indisputably terrible - but is there an actual process that's phoning home this data? Has it been proven that this information is being sent back to Microsoft?

It's easy to jump on the bandwagon, but until I see someone like Anandtech or ArsTechnica get stuck in, it's just a terrible license agreement to me. Given that it's a pre-release product designed to be a source of information to Microsoft for testing/improving/debugging, it's not unreasonable that they'll want to colelct as much information as they can. Ultimately it's Opt-in - you're not being forced to use the Technical Preview. If these terms are still in the SLA in the final release, you have my permission to yell as loud as you like :)

FWIW, I installed it in a VM, played with the start menu and then deleted it. That's all I wanted to see :)

Last edited:

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
All anyone knows as far as I know, is what they have put in the privacy statement. This has gone far and wide. I hope they really do take a lot of crap for this. This is unacceptable.

Frijid

Enlightened
they could easily slip anything into it and agree to it without knowing it. On those screens where you click "I accept" or "I decline" button. and if you'd try to read it, it's as long as the Bible, so no one reads it, they just click yes. Nobody reads those things, so you could put anything it in, and by clicking "accept" you'd be selling your soul, so to speak, without even knowing it.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't that how Steve Jobs gathered people for his human centipede project?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quite simples do not buy the product, if they fancy putting keylogger in so beit, others will just buy and be done with it, just live in the UK for one day and you will be on average on over 300 CCTV systems.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quite simples do not buy the product, if they fancy putting keylogger in so beit, others will just buy and be done with it, just live in the UK for one day and you will be on average on over 300 CCTV systems.
Britannia rules the waves... Both sea and air waves. I mean who doesn't like being spied upon by solar powered wireless cameras? Any way, I highly doubt this keylogger technology will be in the final release, hell, with all the negative PR they are getting I doubt it will even be in the next release of the previews. I hope.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Britannia rules the waves... Both sea and air waves. I mean who doesn't like being spied upon by solar powered wireless cameras? Any way, I highly doubt this keylogger technology will be in the final release, hell, with all the negative PR they are getting I doubt it will even be in the next release of the previews. I hope.

They rule nothing but love to think they do, so you think the keyloggers will not be in the final retail product.?

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
They rule nothing but love to think they do, so you think the keyloggers will not be in the final retail product.?
They would never dare leave it in the final release because if it were detected the company would lose their business because nobody would trust them any more. Of course they could play the "Ooops we forgot to turn it off, it was unintentional.." card but I highly doubt it.